1.6L TDI Bluemotion: 70+ hwy mpg, available in EU

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
NOT available in US, of course :)

120HP, ~240 FP torque out of 1.6l engine.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Don't forget that other countries use testing methodologies that are different that those used in the US. So two identical cars will have different "official" MPG ratings in different countries.

Also, if you're looking at the VW UK site, remember they use Imperial gallons which are 20% larger than US gallons.

Here is a comparison of the ALH engined Golfs and their US and UK MPG figures:

UK MPG 41.5/64.2/54.3 urban/extra-urban/combined
US MPG 34.6/53.5/45.2 urban/extra-urban/combined

The UK numbers are about 20% higher than the US numbers, because of the difference in the gallon measure.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Also, if you're looking at the VW UK site, remember they use Imperial gallons which are 20% larger than US gallons......
The UK numbers are about 20% higher than the US numbers, because of the difference in the gallon measure.
Yup...and testing methods (as noted)....
Drives me crazy...headlines happen all the time...but look deeper, and you realize the euro numbers are not so great.
Knock the 70 mpg down by 20%, and you realize, its not that far from the current jetta...which does an honest 48-50 mpg...with a bigger motor, and more space.
If VW sold a tiny car, with a smaller motor... Bet it could match the 70 mpg - 20%!!
Simple fact is EPA testing and certification is $$$ and the us diesel market tiny...so we get one of two motors that serve multiple cars....
Not sure a tiny diesel motor in a tiny tin can of a car would sell regardless of mpg...out fuel prices are so much cheaper here, any diesel is a hard sell...

heidelberger75

TDI
2010 Golf Variant (wagon) 1.6 TDI, 5sp
The published fuel economy numbers in europe are valid but only under certain conditions. If i were to travel 55 mph (same speed as large trucks) then 3.5 - 4l/100km would be easily attainable (67 - 58 mpg US).
However, I live in Germany and could not drive so slow. I drive normally between 120-150 kmh (75-93 mph) on the autobahn and about 25% city driving. My average fuel economy is 5.4 (44mpg).

I firmly believe NO ONE would buy this in the US other than a tiny group of hardcore (tdiclub) members :)

It's pretty slow.....