Volkswagen rolls out new warranty for 2002 model year

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
We Canadians finally get a decent warantee... before we only have half the powertrain of the US. All in all, a pretty good deal - double the bumper to bumper, while still keeping the powertrain.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Attention Auto Editors:

Volkswagen rolls out new warranty for 2002 model year

AJAX, ON, Aug. 24 /CNW/ - Today, Volkswagen Canada announced a new vehicle warranty available on all 2002 Volkswagen models that begin arriving at Canadian dealerships this month and throughout the summer and fall.
Volkswagen said it based its new warranty for the 2002 model year on customer research and feedback, creating a more optimal warranty focused on providing even better comprehensive coverage for today's Volkswagen customer.
For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/80,000 kilometer (whichever occurs first) bumper-to-bumper warranty, up from two years/40,000 km. The warranty covers wear-and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 20,000 km of ownership.
In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 100,000 km.
"We want to be responsive to our customers and research tells us the new 4/80 offers what today's buyer expects from a premium warranty. It reflects our commitment to meeting the evolving preferences of our customers," said Frank Maguire, vice president in charge of sales and marketing.
Volkswagen's new warranty plan also includes the added security of a four-
year/80,000 km, 24-hour roadside assistance program (increased from 2001's two-year term).
Exceptional corrosion perforation coverage remains 12 years with no mileage limit for all fully-galvanized Volkswagen vehicles (Cabrio covered for six years, Eurovan for eight years.)

-0- 08/24/2001

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vroom:
We Canadians finally get a decent warantee... before we only have half the powertrain of the US.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read, Americans will only get "half the warranty" in 2002.
I'm not sure a VW will be in my future if the Passat TDI doesn't get over here.

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
I wouldn't call it half a warranty. VW has just decided to get in line with the industry and offer a more attractive bumper to bumper warranty. I think they should have done that PLUS the 10/100 powertrain, but I'm sure the same sort of bean counters who say there is no market for a Passat TDI, said that the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty was killing them and that "no one cares about the powertrain." I like VW engineering but their marketing and legal arms mystify me.

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
I like how their PR machine calls it a "premium warranty", when in truth it is finally the same (or shorter) as everybody else's! I guess by their definition Hyundais are "premium automobiles!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
It may be different in the US, but I am really happy to see this new warranty here in Canada. Much better than the old 2year B2B, 5 year PT warranty. I did a quick compare how it stacks up, and it is pretty good in the Canadian Market. Similar to BMW and beaten by only Mercedes and Kia.

Ford - B2B 3yr/100k
Acura - B2B 3yr/60k, PT 5yr/100k
Honda - B2B 3yr/60k, PT 5yr/100k
GM - B2B 3yr/60k, PT 5yr/100k
Chrysler- B2B 3yr/60k,PT 5yr/100k
Mazda - B2B 3yr/60k,PT 5yr/100k
Toyota - B2B 3yr/60k, PT 5yr/100km
BMW - B2B 4yr/80km, PT - 4yr/80km, Free Maint. 3yr/60km
VW - B2B 4yr/80km, B2B 5yr/100km
Mercedes - B2B, 4yr/80km,PT 5yr/120km
Kia - PT 5yr/100k,PT 5yr/100k

Fred

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: VW Derf ]

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: VW Derf ]

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stealth TDI:
Hi,

From what I've read, Americans will only get "half the warranty" in 2002.
I'm not sure a VW will be in my future if the Passat TDI doesn't get over here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Half the powertrain, but double the bumper-to-bumper. Which one is better, I'm not sure... but the way some dealers interpret the powertrain warantee, the longer B2B might be a good one.

It's great news for Canadians though... we never had the 10 year powertrain warantee, it was always 5 years. So we're not losing anything in this deal (except for the scheduled maintanence).

BCGuy

Craig.. I understand your frustration on this one, and seeing as it is the same car.. year to year very few changes, it hurts. I was two days away from closing a deal on a 2001 and heard of the warranty. I elected to wait and my 2002 just arrived. I would have been choked ! I hear you!

Almost makes you wonder if they could not give grace to some people, say everyone with a IV., retroactive to purchase date. My .02 worth...

Jay

THX1138

Just a thought, but what do you guys think about the adjustment/wear and tear 2/24 or that the turbos and injectors are covered for 2/24 under the emissions portion of the warranty? I work for a US dealership, I've been there 7 weeks, I drive a TDI Golf and think that there isn't a car that directly compares. TDI vehicles and all VW's have an excellent warranty, we stand behind the product. Some individuals may not, but that is out of my control. I hope that people will contact VWoA and express to them the desires of TDI owners. They are bringing the V-10 and others will follow, but they are just to focused on the W8 right now.