www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 8th, 2017, 18:06   #16
robm2

So, I took the afternoon off and figured it out. It turns out to be quite simple.

1. There is a large black/red wire that supplies power for the headlights on terminal #1 of the headlight switch connector. This power comes directly from the "on with the ignition" relay, is good for something like 70 A, so a couple more amps for the running lights is not going to be a problem. All fusing is downstream of the light switch.
2. There is smaller reddish orange wire on pin 15 that supplies "always on" power to the running lights.
3. I cut the red wire on pin 15, and with extra wire, butt splices, bullet connectors and a T-tap, jumpered power from the black/red wire to terminal 15. I left it set up so I can unplug a bullet connector and reconnect it the way it was, if I ever decide I want to go back to "normal".

It works just fine. I can leave the light switch on, and the headlights and running lights go on and off with the engine.

As a bonus, I now have a spare "always on" pwoer source, if I want to add some electrical accessory.

The headlight switch is shown on wiring diagram 51/13 in the Bentley manual.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote