Beetle and Beetle Convert. Roll Call. Who's out there?

WisVWguy

TDI
2015 Beetle convertible
My wife is up to a whopping 42K miles on her 2014 Beetle TDI at this point. I'm starting to wonder about when to swap the timing belt. I've heard with time it's all over the place, but near as I can figure, it's 10 years or 130K miles. She's at 9 years this year, so I'll probably start shopping for the TB stuff soon. It's been a great car, we just haven't needed to drive it much. My 2015 Golf TDI is just shy of 100K miles, but I drive a bit more than she does.
I have a 2015 TDI beetle convertible 6 speed stick with 43K on it. Bought it new in 2017 when the 3rd gen diesel fix came out. The car has been amazing. I absolutely love it. VW needs to bring the TDI engine back!

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
I don't know the time spec for the EA189 but 10 years definitely sounds reasonable for a 130k item. Our 2015 EA288's tensioner had a 'chirp' at 32k when we bought it in 2020, then the warranty dealer replacement wasn't done right(they did stuff like re-use the original belt, etc.) so VW wound up replacing the entire top end at 40k at the beginning of 2021.

My wife is up to a whopping 42K miles on her 2014 Beetle TDI at this point. I'm starting to wonder about when to swap the timing belt. I've heard with time it's all over the place, but near as I can figure, it's 10 years or 130K miles. She's at 9 years this year, so I'll probably start shopping for the TB stuff soon. It's been a great car, we just haven't needed to drive it much. My 2015 Golf TDI is just shy of 100K miles, but I drive a bit more than she does.

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
My 14 just hit 47k the other day, and the timing belt has been on my mind more and more. Just had the timing belt done on the 12 JSW and that was expensive, plus the OEM water pump failed after 36 miles - dealership covered it of course, but damn.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
The wife's 13 has 36k. Just replaced the clutch, wasn't expecting that. Came to us used with DRLs that are always on. One of these days, I'll dig into it and see what someone hacked up to do that.

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
The wife's 13 has 36k. Just replaced the clutch, wasn't expecting that. Came to us used with DRLs that are always on. One of these days, I'll dig into it and see what someone hacked up to do that.
Interesting.... My 2014 has the "always on" DRLs as well. All of my other VW's have always turned them on once the parking brake is released. These are on 24/7 when the car is running or the system is on. If you find anything out on this, please let me know. Many times when I'm waiting with the car or key on, I'd rather not have the DRL's on.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Many times when I'm waiting with the car or key on, I'd rather not have the DRL's on.
if you have an MFD with MFSW, you can enable a toggle in the MFD via VCDS/OBD11 to control DRL's.

Iowa TDI

TDI
2014 TDI Vert Beetle
Just acquired (long story) a 2014 Beetle TDI Vert. White,black top with black leather. 130k on it im just going to start going thru stuff I guess. Had a 99 ALH, that I sold a couple years ago, this 2.0 seems to be a bit of a different animal. The alh was a 5 speed, this one is a slushbox but the price was right.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am still here. First run your vin through the vw emissions warranty checker and see if any is left if needed. Then get everything in order including a new TB kit. Way different than the old Beetles.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Wife's 2014 beetle is at 46K miles. I just picked up the timing belt kit from idparts and will be having it put in very shortly. I also just swapped the RCD-510 with an RCD-330 head unit to add carplay. I have the rear flip up camera that matches it that'll be going in shortly as well. It runs perfect, but at 10 years it's time to do the belt.

Iowa TDI

TDI
2014 TDI Vert Beetle
I am still here. First run your vin through the vw emissions warranty checker and see if any is left if needed. Then get everything in order including a new TB kit. Way different than the old Beetles.
It would appear the DPF is junk from the deciphering I have been doing with the VCDS. The timing belt/water pump and associated items are all getting done soon. Not sure what the fate/end goal is. I got it on a trade from my son for a small suv as his family is growing. Just trying to get everything wrung out for now. It drives pretty well. I have some parts on order to change the trans fluid and filter/fuel filter/ air and cabin filters and just changed the oil this weekend.