3.0L TDI chip tuning companies?

Burnt

TDI
A7
Hello, I currently have an Audi A7 3.0L TDI and looking into ECU tuning after May 11th. I am currently looking into APR Tuning, but they don't have the best figures compared to Malone. Malone doesn't have a shop near me (Albuquerque, NM). Anyone know of any other shops?

Also, shop near me is quoting me APR cost and 3-4 hours of labor @ $30/hr, is that normal? Seems like a 30 minute job ?:/

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
What year? These can typically be done through the OBD2 port. It takes about 15 minutes to read, another 15 to write, and then however long it takes Mark to make up a file and send it off (varies but typically within an hr or so). Definitely not multiple hours of work, a half hour of labor would be reasonable and even then all they're doing is pressing a few buttons... unless they're still bench flashing them. Not entirely sure why APR got into tuning diesels but they do not have a background in it.

These can also typically be tuned using the Powergate 3/flashzilla V3 device with files sent via email, and that allows you to revert the car back to stock when needed. Keep in mind that all tunes can be seen by VW of North America, so it would be best to consult your dealership if warranty repairs are a concern. You cannot simply reset the flash counter as some are advertising, they are expecting the same flash count # as when they previously tuned the ECU, which can only be done by using a ktag and that requires ECU removal.

Last edited:

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Wait, if you're taking a full boot mode backup, eeprom, internal flash, and external flash... you can always reverse the flash counter, no?

I understand that the Alientech powergate 3 device flashes in similar fashion to dealer updates, so it never really makes a full backup. Just calibration section only. Full flashes in boot mode take over 10 minutes.

Burnt

TDI
A7
I have a 2014 A7. Think the shop quoted me APR price (currently on sale $540) and about $120 in labor, totaling $640 +61HP/+49ft-lbs. Are other tuning units worth getting?

LECDO

TDI
2014 Audi A6 Prestige
Just got Malone stage 2 for my '14 A6. Check engine light, sensor malfunction keeps occurring. Took to dealer, they went nuts "this car has been tuned." Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
CEL would be unrelated, tune a lot of these and a mild map shouldn't trigger anything, but unfortunately it's not uncommon to throw codes on these. Best to diagnose it properly with VCDS. Yes, modifying your vehicle can result in issues with warranty and dealers, which is why it's best to contact them first. It's an unfortunately circumstance but VW is starting to crack down. With a ktag the flash counter doesn't change, but the tamper screws still have to be removed and there will likely be marks on the ECU, visible silicone, or other minor things that they could pick up on.

Just had someone go in for major repairs on a 2014 that was tuned without issue, so it really is hit and miss.

Last edited:

Burnt

TDI
A7
I'm assuming it would be a good idea to wait for the 3.0L TDI software fixes to roll out before getting a tune.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
LOVE my jr tune....over 60k on it, never a cel, or hiccup and pulls harder then any 3.0tdi ive seen