Need help: No horn, cruise & volume control on steering

xbangu

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Hello-

Have anyone have this problem before, presently everything on my steering wheel are not working. No horn, cruise won't lock in (able to turn on from the blinker rod) and no volume/track for stereo.

I have check the fuse and it's good and the connection inside the steering wheel and it's also good.

Where should I start checking or measuring voltages at next?

also, my engine check is on- don't know what's for and only have driver airbag-don't know if missing the pass side prevent it from using the the steering wheel control or the ECU need to be reset or something.

thanks,

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Sounds like the spring thingy (senior moment, I can't remember what it's called) in the steering wheel has gone flooey. It's the thing that carries the signals for the horn, volume and cruise switches of the multifunction steering wheel.

IIRC, there is a vagcom function to check the switches, basically showing if they can be detected by the computer or not.

xbangu

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Here's what I got from going to AutoZone with there reader

I got 4 problems but 2 of them are duplicated

01 Glow plug / heater cylinder 1 P0671
02 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Positive Current Circuit Open P2237
03 Glow plug / heater cylinder 1 P0671
04 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Positive Current Circuit Open P2237

Does that mean one of my glow plug is bad and on cylinder 1?

any tip on trouble shooting the open circuit? I don't have a Bentley manual!

NOTE: Also no light illumination on the volume/cruise control when light is on. Horn only work when using the remote to open/lock doors. I think all it need is power apply to it and it should be working again.

thanks

Last edited:

RoyalT3

TDI
Passat, 2005
What was the problem?

xbangu, did this ever get fixed? If so, what was the problem? I had the same thing happen to my 05 Passat TDI today. Brake lights are fine, fuses are fine.

Thanks.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
weedeater said:
Sounds like the spring thingy (senior moment, I can't remember what it's called) in the steering wheel has gone flooey. It's the thing that carries the signals for the horn, volume and cruise switches of the multifunction steering wheel.

IIRC, there is a vagcom function to check the switches, basically showing if they can be detected by the computer or not.
called a "clock spring".

RoyalT3

TDI
Passat, 2005
Multi-Function Steering Wheel Control module

That's a mouthful!

I pulled the dash apart over the weekend and think that the above named part is bad. It also sounds expensive!! It's located in the 13 position relay assembly and has a big number 451 on it.

I pulled it out, it's got voltage to it and when I put the test light on one of the connectors, the horn sounds! So, it sounds like the spring thing is ok in my car.

I thought I might take it to the stealer and see if they can check the module out. I guess its time to get a vag com.