HPFP issues?

Champ203

TDI
Aspiring owner
I'm contemplating buying a 2011/2012 A3. Owned a 2011 VW Jetta TDI for 80k miles. Became obsessed with what seemed like HPFP issues being reported and VW of America doing nothing about it. Loved the car and the mileage.

Since have owned a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (couldn't stand it) so I bought a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V. My job has changed and I'm back to driving 60k a year so the V is getting parked in the garage and I need a daily driver.

I've read one thread on here about the 30K experience so I see I can expect the typical audi/VW plastic issues...

What the melting fuse all about?

Would you guys buy a 3 year old A3 with less than 50K miles or am I crazy?

Thanks,
Don

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Don, I bought mine as a CPO 3 year old car with a bit over 40k. I have put about 14k on it in the year I've owned it and it was one of the best car purchases I've made. I have had minor issues, but nothing that really detracts from the car.

Dragoncoach

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 MkV Jetta TDI/ '11 MKVI JSW TDI
I'm contemplating buying a 2011/2012 A3. Owned a 2011 VW Jetta TDI for 80k miles. Became obsessed with what seemed like HPFP issues being reported and VW of America doing nothing about it. Loved the car and the mileage.
Since have owned a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (couldn't stand it) so I bought a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V. My job has changed and I'm back to driving 60k a year so the V is getting parked in the garage and I need a daily driver.
I've read one thread on here about the 30K experience so I see I can expect the typical audi/VW plastic issues...
Thanks,
Don
So what types of problems did you have with the TDI? Percentage of reported HPFP failures are about 1.5%. From what I've heard, VW has been covering the repair. I think you need to check further if it really concerns you. We actually have 2 TDI's and are very happy. Good luck.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
bought mine with 71k on it, just rolled 103k. im sold on diesel, but i am curious about chevys new cruz. i didnt get mine CPO'd and have had a minor issue with having to replace the AC compressor that cost alot more than id have wanted. with that said, this car is breaking 200k unless something happens to prevent that. i love the way it handles and the room in it. i have about 15k miles til i need to do a timing belt change, but im ok with that, i already have the replacement parts and ill do it myself. lesson learned.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I've had mine for over 6 months, it had 72k kms i.e. 50k miles appox when I picked it up, have put another 10k miles, absolutely love the car have had zero issues touch wood...both TDI's are running great not a single problem to report. Audi is much more fun to drive due its better handling. Good luck.

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011

Thanks,
Don
... I seem to be chasing an electrical issue in mine that is dragging the voltage regulator and three batteries with it, but otherwise the HPFP problem has not surfaced in mine. I am careful to add cetane booster / water remover to each tank, and I change my own oil. Blackstone Labs just issued my 78,000 mile used oil analysis, and all looks groovy. I hope to chime in on this forum in a few years that I've passed the 200k mile mark and things re still going strong!

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I bought mine with 77,000 just last month (love it) yesterday when I left the house after the car sat overnight from a long trip I had hesitation until I got to the end of the long drive. Should I have let it warm up first? whats gonna happen when it gets cold out it was on 70 f. Please comment

walkerb52

TDI
2011 A3
Having just had one done on my 2011 A3 with ~31k miles on it I can provide a copy of the paperwork from the dealer should anyone be interested so you can see what is entailed in the work.
Tech said they've done 10 on an A3 since they were brought to the US. Ours was the first of the 10 at that dealership which wasn't caused by the owner putting petrol in the car.

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
40 K - no problems

Have had my 2012 A3 TDI for just shy of 40 K miles. So far so good - zero defects, zero repairs. I add OptiLube XPD to each fill-up.
Overall I think they are well-made cars.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
I bought mine with 77,000 just last month (love it) yesterday when I left the house after the car sat overnight from a long trip I had hesitation until I got to the end of the long drive. Should I have let it warm up first? whats gonna happen when it gets cold out it was on 70 f. Please comment
Shouldn't need to warm up unless you plan on getting into boost. I had issues with hesitation and wandering idle that I attributed to a bad tank of fuel. Went away with a subsequent fill up.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
If you were so concerned about potential HPFP issues leading to selling your TDI, have you come to terms with the same risk level?
I think this is the million question in this thread. Are you continuing to buying to the paranoia on this site, or have you looked at some of the percentages and realized that the issue has been dramatically blown out of proportion?