If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Purchased a cpo 2015 Nissan Leaf for the wife to commute in and run around town on weekends. What a fun car! Her daily commute is only 11 miles round trip, so it fits us well. Super cool to be able to "fill the tank" in the garage overnight.

I've never really looked at Nissans before getting the Leaf, but find myself looking at Altimas now. Lots of car for the money and the incentives are pretty nice. Local dealer is throwing out $6500 off msrp on the 2016 Altimas in stock. Tempting...
Now that's what I call an intensive:D

Lochenjons

TDI
2013 VW Jetta
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, while the TDI sits in my driveway (because I'm still not sure about how the mileage deal works and I'm a 54980), I dusted the cobwebs off this old thing that I've had since I was 16! Now my new DD

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, while the TDI sits in my driveway (because I'm still not sure about how the mileage deal works and I'm a 54980), I dusted the cobwebs off this old thing that I've had since I was 16! Now my new DD
That is so fly!

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
LOL, I had a 1994 Caprice wagon for years.
I learned to drive in my dad's 1973 Buick Estate Wagon. Thing had a 455 with a 4 barrel carb in it. You could see the gas gage tick down towards empty like a second hand on a clock.

Lately though wife and I have been torn btwn a cpo 2016 bmw x1, her choice, or a 2017 A4 quattro with sport and tech package, my choice. It's her daily driver so we'll see how it goes.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Reminds me of the car in "Escape from New York". No chandeliers for the front fenders?

r the front fenders?

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL

You should mack that out with wire wheels, fuzzy dice, and shag carpet....sweet whip!!!

tdifirst86

TDI
jetta
Anyone replace their TDI with another VW? I am looking at a 2015 1.8T Jetta. I am trying to research online and a few sites say to avoid the 2006 and 2015 Jetta models. Anyone know why?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Anyone replace their TDI with another VW? I am looking at a 2015 1.8T Jetta. I am trying to research online and a few sites say to avoid the 2006 and 2015 Jetta models. Anyone know why?
We owned a 2006.5 mk5 Jetta through about 120-130k miles, and not too much to complain about.

The headliner came unglued so we had it reupholstered. The sunroof cable broke but the upholstery shop rigged it back into working order without ordering new VW parts. The red-colored multi function display faded in one quadrant, but it remains legible in all but the brightest daylight. The black applique over the backlit radio buttons and knobs peeled in a few spots, but there are replacement face plates available that are easy to install.

Mechanically, I think the alternator basically "fell apart," but I can't recall anything else needing attention.

We sold the car to a friend nearly two years ago, and he's still driving it and hasn't reported any troubles.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Oh man... Sweet rig! When I was a senior in college and I finally realized I needed a car (meaning my dad got tired of picking me up from school), I test drove a blue one of those, '89 model I think, landau roof and the whole nine. Dad sat in back for the ride. Gas was just getting "expensive" at $1+ a gallon (this was late 1999), and I knew I had to park on the street in Worcester MA, so I ended up with a 91 saturn instead. That car served me well I have to say, but I still picture my buddies and I arriving at a jazz band gig in the Caddy dressed in suits and pulling instrument cases out of the trunk. Woulda been so sweet.
My mom got me dice for xmas that year. Big blue ones. Had them in every car I drove for like 12 years. Pimpin aint easy.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

Out the door Everything (Tax's Title ext) 25k Way more options than any of my 3 TDI's ever had.

I did install TWO VW parts
One on the let and one on the right side...

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Bought a 2006 Honda S2000 with 25,800 miles a couple weeks back.

Definitely been interesting going from a Passat to the S2000. :)

derekmw

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI Premium, 2015 Tesla Model S 70
Bought a 2006 Honda S2000 with 25,800 miles a couple weeks back.
Definitely been interesting going from a Passat to the S2000. :)
Wow, big change. We completely changed direction to but the opposite direction. I just picked up a 2013 Infiniti JX35 for the wife to replace her A3 TDI. I figured I got a good enough deal and we have to haul a lot of stuff while we finish our house so it'll be good to have a year or two and avoid having to rent a truck or beg friends.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Wow, big change. We completely changed direction to but the opposite direction. I just picked up a 2013 Infiniti JX35 for the wife to replace her A3 TDI. I figured I got a good enough deal and we have to haul a lot of stuff while we finish our house so it'll be good to have a year or two and avoid having to rent a truck or beg friends.

Quite true. Perfect SoCal car, I'm in Carlsbad, and it's been a blast, save for the rain these past couple of days.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
My husbands replacement arrived today, had to come from another dealership a few hours away. Looks like a few of us are getting Christmas presents, so to speak. One down, one to go. Looks like I'll be getting a nice Valentine's Day gift. Heading to the Jeep dealership tomorrow to check out my options, buying off the lot or ordering.

[/url][/IMG]

ToffeeTDI

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S 6MT
Went and test drove a 2017 Jetta SEL 1.8 yesterday after work. Nice car with the backup camera/NAVI (that my '15 TDI S doesn't have), and the acceleration from the 1.8 wasn't off too much from the TDI. The 6-speed Auto shifted seamlessly and overall pretty nice and good deals going on now. Got some basic figures for lease/finance to consider and need a few days to make sure of the color and style I want to commit to.

One problem is my buyback isn't until 1/23 and the dealer won't park it for me, as they get 25 buybacks a week and don't want to risk damage from all the shuffling they need to do. So wondering about timing of buying now versus waiting until mid-January, as I heard the deals won't be as good. I might just wait it out, as having three vehicles at home with winter won't be ideal.

Also noticed the Enhanced Rearview Mirror with Homelink is missing (had a manual flip one) and seems to be a dealer parts add-on now versus coming with the SEL trim level. I bought one with my Goodwill Dealer card and never installed in the '15.

If tons of buybacks of late-model TDI's plus no 16/17 models, is it reasonable that the EA288's will increase in value since they will be more rare if most are going back to either Mexico or Tennessee for an unknown fate? Need to remove the emotion of giving up on the TDI, it's been a great car.

Last edited:

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
If tons of buybacks of late-model TDI's plus no 16/17 models, is it reasonable that the EA288's will increase in value since they will be more rare if most are going back either Mexico or Tennessee for unknown fate? Need to remove the emotion too of giving up on the TDI, it's been a great car.
Yeah, I took photo's of my TDi before the appointment and then of her sitting on the lot as we walked out. I was sad, she was a great car. I liked driving by gas stations and saying "eat my diesel" as I drove by (not yelling out the window, it was just fun saying it). That being said, now I'll be that person filling up at the gas station, although with a huge smile on my face, I can already tell I'm going to love my new Wrangler, come on Feb!

derekmw

TDI
Quite true. Perfect SoCal car, I'm in Carlsbad, and it's been a blast, save for the rain these past couple of days.
Exactly right? I'm right in San Diego. It's funny becuase an s2k is something I've always wanted but could never justify to get unless it was a spare car. I do too much outdoor activities. Now, with the 25yr rule, my 3rd car is going to be an imported Skyline GTR (the R32's which was my dream car growing up in japan).

I bet these last few days of rain have been killing you eh? Sounds like we have a bit more of it still to come. Be careful out there.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Well, I still have the Passat, and I've been driving it the past week. So it hasn't been "that" bad. I'm originally from Seattle, so driving the S2000 in what I consider light sprinkles isn't a huge deal. I'm more worried about the idiots on the road.

And the R32 would be an excellent choice. I've looked at them as well, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the delay of getting replacement parts, or even service parts for a platform that wasn't offered in North America.

Last edited:

derekmw

TDI
Well, I still have the Passat, and I've been driving it the past week. So it hasn't been "that" bad. I'm originally from Seattle, so driving the S2000 in what I consider light sprinkles isn't a huge deal. I'm more worried about the idiots on the road.

And the R32 would be an excellent choice. I've looked at them as well, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the delay of getting replacement parts, or even service parts for a platform that wasn't offered in North America.
You serious? I am also from Seattle - Moved to San Diego 7 years ago. Too funny. I laughed when we moved here and heard the weatherman urge people to stay indoors because it was going to rain.

Which year s2k did you get? I assume 04+ with the larger displacement? I know it wasn't a huge increase, but from what I heard, the torque increase was still a nice improvement.

R32's share a lot of parts with Nissans offered here and for engine specific parts, there are tons of available parts due to the increase in numbers here (and has been in Canada for some time now). Otherwise, I too would not want to worry about availability of parts. But then again, as a 3rd car, it's not too worrisome if I have to wait a week or 2 for parts for me.