Budget Build Daily driver

delta1

TDI
na
hey guys, just bought a 1999.5 TDi and is my first one. Ive been looking a long time. Done some research but cant find set-ups people have. Im not racing the car but want more torque for mountain roads, passing uphill etc.

Im looking to get around the 200trq a the wheels range. so nothing crazy but decent power you can feel. ALL while getting good MPG still. What are some mod set ups you might be using around this range? I was thinking Open up the exhaust, injectors, little bigger turbo (maybe from a newer year or something that bolts right up), and a tune/chip. I know i will need a clutch kit and im looking at the Vr6 setup. Im not sure if the stock injectors can handle that power range or what. Let me know what you have...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
If you want ~200 ft-lb, good MPG, easiest thing is a tune/chip/remap. Your model year should have the stronger stock clutch/FW combo that'll hold a decent amount.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Nozzles then remap (sprint520 or pp520's and RC3) alone will get you well over 200ftlbs. making very smooth and reliable power and will really wake the car up. after those mods you can think about turbos and clutch. Dig thru this forum and read for a few hours....you dont have to reinvent the wheel just copy want others have done.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Yea, like Bob said, the 99.5 has the stronger LUK clutch..... You should be able to do bigger nozzles and a tune.... Bosio PP520's and a good tune will net you like 130whp and 240 ft/lbs.... There is a chance the clutch could hold that.... it might not.

delta1

TDI
na
the guy i bought the car from has the VR6 clutch set-up from ECS for $250 new. Wow so bacially 2 things... diesels are awesome. i appreciate the actual parts you listed, just gotta find a good tune because i guess these have the chip you have to resolder.

delta1

TDI
na
so i dont need to swap out the injectors right? just the nozzles? for some reason i hought the nozzles were the injectors.

FireStorm005

TDI
1999 Golf GLS TDI
I daily mine, details are in the sig, but I do need to get a new clutch now. If I stomp on it in 3rd+ it'll start to slip at around 2300. It's seriously fun and still has mileage that makes people jealous:

You don't have to solder and de-solder the chips if you get your ECU socketed or get a socketed ECU. That's what I've got and it was really nice since I had to swap out the chips to fix the '99 Hot Start Issue, I'll find you a link or you can search. Most tuners should have them.

Last edited: