Driver's door won't lock--power locks

kitcross750

TDI
97 Golf 5 speed
Hi

My 97 Golf has power locks. The key no longer locks or unlocks any of the locks. The dash control works but I have to leave the driver's door unlocked for obvious reasons. I have the Haynes manual and am happy to start stripping down the door. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for? Busted spring since it's only one door? The only other lock that has a key entry is the hatch (which has NEVER worked with the key).

Many thanks for your help.
cheers!
Kit

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you are having trouble locking the car with the key in the door then I would pull back the boot around the wire harness in the driver's door and look for broken wires. If none are found you may have a bad switch for the door lock cylinder and if you jump the switch and all the locks work then there's your answer.

kitcross750

TDI
97 Golf 5 speed
Okay--so this is what I found. Fortunately not a switch problem in the end. I pulled the lock cylinder out (Torx screw on door facing--key in lock to manipulate it--slide the door handle forward a bit)

On the back side of the lock cylinder is a tiny ring. The shaft that attaches the cylinder to the remainder of the mechanism used to have either a hook or a ring that looped into the ring on the lock cylinder. It had broken off.

I was able to pull the shaft out, smooth off the end with a dremel where the hook had been and drill a tiny hole through it. I've reattached the two pieces with aircraft grade mending wire (stainless steel) and it seems to be holding just fine for now. As soon as I can get to a wreckers, I might look at replacing the shaft if the busted piece is actually a hook.

cheers!
Kit

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
kitcross750 said:
Okay--so this is what I found. Fortunately not a switch problem in the end. I pulled the lock cylinder out (Torx screw on door facing--key in lock to manipulate it--slide the door handle forward a bit)

On the back side of the lock cylinder is a tiny ring. The shaft that attaches the cylinder to the remainder of the mechanism used to have either a hook or a ring that looped into the ring on the lock cylinder. It had broken off.

I was able to pull the shaft out, smooth off the end with a dremel where the hook had been and drill a tiny hole through it. I've reattached the two pieces with aircraft grade mending wire (stainless steel) and it seems to be holding just fine for now. As soon as I can get to a wreckers, I might look at replacing the shaft if the busted piece is actually a hook.

cheers!
Kit
Hi, I encountered the same problem with the passenger side lock this past weekend. Did you end up fixing it with a spare from the wreckers. I'm going to try and find that piece at the yard. I hope it's just a hook. Is it possible to re-use the tumbler?

thanks

kitcross750

TDI
97 Golf 5 speed
honda_vtec2 said:
Hi, I encountered the same problem with the passenger side lock this past weekend. Did you end up fixing it with a spare from the wreckers. I'm going to try and find that piece at the yard. I hope it's just a hook. Is it possible to re-use the tumbler?

thanks
Hi

I never did get to the wreckers because the jury-rig I did is holding. I think you're wondering if you'll have to re-key if you replace the whole thing? Don't think so, The key cylinder was seperate from the bits that held the ring and hook (or whatever it was to begin with) Keep in mind, mine is a '97 Golf--don't know how different it would be for a different year/model.

Best of luck!
cheers!
Kit

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
kitcross750 said:
Hi

I never did get to the wreckers because the jury-rig I did is holding. I think you're wondering if you'll have to re-key if you replace the whole thing? Don't think so, The key cylinder was seperate from the bits that held the ring and hook (or whatever it was to begin with) Keep in mind, mine is a '97 Golf--don't know how different it would be for a different year/model.

Best of luck!
cheers!
Kit
Hey good to know that it's holding up. I've been thinking of buying nu-metal epoxy to try and connect the broken piece if i can't find it at the junk yard. If not, I'll get a drill and use your method. Is there a place to purchase that aircraft wire you have? Maybe a store like Rona or home depot...etc?

thanks