German Lawmakers Ban Internal Combustion Engines by 2030

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Who's "they" ? The engineers are not the same people as the representatives in Bundesrat. And by the way... do not expect any more diesel Volkswagens in the USA. Really, it is not a conspiracy. And no, it is NOT a bumper to bumper warantee. Who told you that??
If VW doesn't sell diesels in these United States then I will never buy another VW product. Unfortunately, BMW & Daimler Benz are out of my buying range, so I'll probably have to restrict my purchasing to vehicles built in Japan.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
If VW doesn't sell diesels in these United States then I will never buy another VW product. Unfortunately, BMW & Daimler Benz are out of my buying range, so I'll probably have to restrict my purchasing to vehicles built in Japan.
A major portion of the growing fleet of Volkswagen cars responsible for the gains VW made in North American sales in 2014 (before dieselgate) were the "clean diesel" models!! They actually overtook Toyota transiently there :eek: They really blew it didn't they!

VW could have ridden the diesel wave out in North America, but not anymore. That's OVER. Period. I will bet that VW DOES continue to make diesel vehicles for other markets though. And the VW diesel big trucks may continue on as well. But not in North America!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A major portion of the growing fleet of Volkswagen cars responsible for the gains VW made in North American sales in 2014 (before dieselgate) were the "clean diesel" models!! They actually overtook Toyota transiently there :eek: They really blew it didn't they!

VW could have ridden the diesel wave out in North America, but not anymore. That's OVER. Period. I will bet that VW DOES continue to make diesel vehicles for other markets though. And the VW diesel big trucks may continue on as well. But not in North America!
Yep. VW will probably be out of these United States with in 5 years. If Tesla wasn't so high priced, I'd look at them if their charging stations become ubiquitous.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
VW will still sell cars in NA, not leaving NA

Lots of people still buy VWs in the USA, Canada, Mexico. VW has the infrastructure and a strong market for Golf, Jetta (especially), Passat. And you WILL see VW electric vehicles on American roads, soon. The hybrids are already here, and VW can make a nice little electric GoCart. One of my kids may be in one within a couple of years.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lots of people still buy VWs in the USA, Canada, Mexico. VW has the infrastructure and a strong market for Golf, Jetta (especially), Passat. And you WILL see VW electric vehicles on American roads, soon. The hybrids are already here, and VW can make a nice little electric GoCart. One of my kids may be in one within a couple of years.
And how many miles will that eVW go on a charge at 70 mph? :D My MOST common trip is a round trip of about 70 miles; my second most common trip is a round trip of at least 150 miles (it is down to the Propel location in Sacramento where I fuel my TDI).

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
And how many miles will that eVW go on a charge at 70 mph? :D My MOST common trip is a round trip of about 70 miles; my second most common trip is a round trip of at least 150 miles (it is down to the Propel location in Sacramento where I fuel my TDI).
Kansas City metro area is perfect for electric cars. All cities really. Hybrids have the range, and VW already makes those. I've got a nephew in W Sac. He and his wife work at Davis. He has a naturally aspired Golf that his dad (my brother) gave him. 50mpg and people honking at him to speed up all the time, he tells me.

Last edited:

anthonyelectric

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
HAHAHA, I've been waiting for this for a solid decade (I owned a 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH between 2007 and 2015).
I also bought stock in TSLA at $27 and China's BYDDF (BYD).

Its all over for the ICE...after all, isn't burning things for CAVEMEN?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kansas City metro area is perfect for electric cars. All cities really. Hybrids have the range, and VW already makes those. I've got a nephew in W Sac. He and his wife work at Davis. He has a naturally aspired Golf that his dad (my brother) gave him. 50mpg and people honking at him to speed up all the time, he tells me.
Yep! I-80 between West Sacramento and Davis goes over the Yolo Causeway which is restricted to 3 lanes in each direction so it is a bottleneck. However, on either side of the Causeway traffic mostly flows at 75 - 80 mph. BTW, I remember going over the Causeway in the late 50s when it was a timber construction.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Under most conditions, the Volt runs on electric power, and any time the engine runs it is not coupled to the drive train. However, there are circumstances, such as high speed freeway travel, that it is more efficient to have the engine actually connected to the drive train, and it does so. I believe it's around 65+ MPH speeds, although at steady cruise and a full battery it might still stay electric higher than that.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I drove the new Chevrolet Equinox diesel last weekend, and was favorably impressed. Since I'm currently living in No Virginia for a work detail, I don't know my way around very well yet, and had to let the salesman define my route. Of course, the ridiculous traffic in the NO VA and DC area didn't allow much experimentation, but overall it drove quite nicely. Having cooled seats on a 90 degree day was very welcome. I would honestly strongly consider one, except they left out one option I really want: Adaptive Cruise. Even the test drive articles all mention the omission. Since I won't be buying anything until my detail here ends next Sept and I return home, perhaps they'll release a running update.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
You drive 150 miles to get fuel.

I don't even.
I drove the new Chevrolet Equinox
except they left out one option I really want...
Being able to see where you're going from the driver's seat? :p

Just about gotta stick your head out the window with the tremendous blind spots.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You drive 150 miles to get fuel.

I don't even.
It is the closest Propel location for DieselHPR. I drive down, dump in the 1 gallon of DieselHPR I carry in the back, fill the tank with DieselHPR, refill the 1 gallon container. Then after the business I had to do in Sacramento is completed, I drive home. Repeat 6 - 8 weeks later.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
You got me beat, Dennis. Round trip for me to get fuel is only about 85-90 miles (but I also get groceries while I'm at it). Or if I want to pay higher prices, 26 miles round trip (to our county seat).

Being able to see where you're going from the driver's seat? :p

Just about gotta stick your head out the window with the tremendous blind spots.
Especially if you're tall. Had a gasser version of the Equinox a few years ago and HATED it. It would be great if you're like 5'4".

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You got me beat, Dennis. Round trip for me to get fuel is only about 85-90 miles (but I also get groceries while I'm at it). Or if I want to pay higher prices, 26 miles round trip (to our county seat).
Yeah, it is a drive. I wish Propel would make a deal for a location up here, or at least in the Marysville/Yuba City area then it would only be a 50 mile round trip. If I just bought plain old D2, then my round trip would be 1 mile!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
To be clear, you do not just "fire up" a steam turbine system when demand is there. They are generally left "fired" on stand by, because you cannot boil water to make steam to turn the turbine with a flip of a switch.

Chances are they are running, burning fuel, boiling water, making steam, all the time... just not as much. That is often the problem with grids (as we have them now) and wind/solar hooked to them. In order to keep the line voltage constant, there has to be a backup ready to go much of the time.

One of the mods here is a power station manager, he can weigh in if he wants on the particulars.
In the Charlotte area we have two nukes, three coal plants, and several hydro plants. The hydro plants are the backup sources. Much easier and safer to allow more water to flow than exposing more nuclear rods.