Stalls, won't start without ether, recurs, can't find issue in FAQ

j1mfrog

TDI
03 Beetle TDI
Sorry if this issue is already discussed, I could not find it.

Last week on one of the cold days, I went out and started the bug to warm up, went inside to get ready for work, came out and found the car not running, but all electrical was still on. Turns over fine, but won't start. Took another car to work.

Later, when the weather warms up, still turns over fine, but won't start. I guessed bad fuel pump or some other fuel problem. Towed to mechanic. Mechanic tries everything, good fuel pressure, can't find a reason for no start. Gives it a shot of ether, it starts and stays running. He apologized for not finding cause, but it runs anyway. Started fine for the next few days.

This morning, not as cold, same thing. Started the car to warm up, go inside, come out 10 minutes later and it's not running. Turns over but won't start. Run to store to get some ether, give it a shot, starts and stays running fine, like nothing happened.

Any guesses?

03 TDI Beetle 5 speed manual, 310,000 mi

j1mfrog

TDI
03 Beetle TDI
I understand that the use of ether is not recommended. Please ignore that part of the thread and focus on the symptoms.

Glow plugs are working as expected as well.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
If the glow plugs are working you CERTAINLY do NOT want to be using ether. There is a whole thread on cold weather starting problem trouble shooting. ( http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398 ) - it's a sticky.

Off the top -
Good battery ? (Used to be Group 48, that's probably an H6 now - do not use Group 47)
proper oil ? (5w40 diesel rated, 0w40 should be acceptable)
non-biodiesel properly winterized ?
good fuel pump ?
Timing set properly ? ( see guru to get set corrrectly) ALH's were tested to -40 in interior AK and Canada, so even if it doesn't make much interior heat, it WILL run.
Fuel pickup in tank not clogged (this was a problem in early years, it can be drilled out or replaced with the version that ends in "H" )

I'm sure the real mechanics will be by to give you some real help.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
When is the last time you've changed your fuel filter? A dirty fuel filter combined with was crystals in diesel from the cold, will cause no fuel to get into the injectors.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just for ****s and grins, what color is the 109 relay?
If it's black change it to latest which I believe is grey and see what happens.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The vehicle starts ............. he said that twice! (excluding the ether starts).

I assume the car is the 03 NB.

At 310,000 miles:

1. Possibility the IP is leaking fluid and losing prime.
2. Fuel gelling in the filter due to not using winterized fuel or not anti-gell additives
3. Air entering the fuel system at the Thermo T on the fuel filter. Seems some NBs never had those style filters ... maybe the 03 did... easy to identify.
4. Possibility that the 109 Relay is acting up as it will warm up from ambient once the ignition is turned on. (contraction and expanding due to temp change)
5. And as suggested, the thingy in the fuel sending unit in the tank could be clogging, gelled with waxed fuel, etc.

I suggest that when you first start the car when it is cold, after a few seconds, rev the engine up to about 1500 RPMs for about 3 to 5 minutes. If the engine does not quit after the rev followed by just idling, I suspect the issue is #1 above.

Last edited:

j1mfrog

TDI
03 Beetle TDI
Thanks guys. I've got a few things to try. I'm going to start with replacing the sending unit and filter.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
You probably don't need to replace your sending unit, most people just drill out the check valve.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Were any wires dislodged/moved or touched during the oil change? The reason I ask is I did just this when I changed my t-stat last month. Car would not start immediately or would stall in traffic. The culprit turns out to be the crank shaft position sensor whose delicate wires I had moved causing a possible break. It's OK for now, but waiting for a good time to change the sensor which is in a very tight spot on my BEW.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd start with a simple fuel filter change.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Make sure sending valve is drilled out. Bleed fuel injectors and then the free part of diagnosis is ruled out. That will always be a nagging and costly question mark unless it’s done. Mine just gave me grief I wasn’t expecting and cost me dearly.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The fuel pick-up can get partially restricted or clogged. But I would troubleshoot this as air intrusion to the fuel system. Dumb stuff would include the injector return tubes.