TDI fest 2019-2020

miamipassat

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hello folks. New TDI owner here. I bought my son a 14 Jetta TDi ($11K, 34K miles, CPO Warranty) this past weekend. I also have a Passat non TDI. I have been reading as much as I can to get up to speed on the uniqueness of these great engines along with all the tips and tricks from all the experienced owners in here. I am by profession a corporate event planner and have managed events of all sizes all over the world and I am willing to volunteer and help out as needed to make TDI Fest come back to life. With the new batch of owners/members joining now perhaps this is the right time for 2021 or 2022?

IMG_2169 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152232205@N06/

Last edited:

Jettr

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI Special Ed, Manual -> Silver+Black -> 60K@2012, 180K@2024
Hello folks. New TDI owner here. I bought my son a 14 Jetta TDi this past weekend. I also have a Passat non TDI. I have been reading as much as I can to get up to speed on the uniqueness of these great engines along with all the tips and tricks from all the experienced owner in here. I am by profession a corporate event planner and have managed events of all sizes all over the world and I am willing to volunteer and help out as needed to make TDI Fest come back to life.
Most miraculous and synchronous post I've ever seen on this site. Excellent!

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
So what's the deal here? We get somebody stepping up to the plate to help and we go run silent, run deep? Or am I just not realizing that all vested are working behind the scenes to make a 2020 get together happen.

Come on people. I've got the longest distance traveled award already in the bag and I won't be denied.

Oh, and thanks miamipassat for your willingness.

miamipassat

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Thank you rhinorear. I know it is hard work to put something like this together. Volunteers are needed for any successful event. With all the TDI's hitting the market now there is a huge opportunity here with a new audience. Hopefully someone who has planned this before will reach out. I am looking to help in any way...

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I'm interested .... Figure out where and when and I'll try to be there.

Let's keep the ball rolling or I guess a meeting for 3 or 4 people it is !

Andrew

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We have members in California, Oregon and Washington State as well as Vancouver, BC who have attended TDIFests, so don't be so sure of that... :D

...Come on people. I've got the longest distance traveled award already in the bag and I won't be denied...

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It would be cool to have another GTG.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Come on people. I've got the longest distance traveled award already in the bag and I won't be denied.
In 2013 for Maine Fest, Matt-98AHU and I drove from Santa Maria, CA to Newry, ME. Close friends of ours drove from Vacaville, CA. We are tentatively planning to be at fest in June in Ypsi/Detroit this summer. We would be coming from Vallejo, CA. :D

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Ok, Ok. I will tell you all this. If I see you on the side of road you will be left there until after closing ceremonies. I'll come back and help you after that with award in hand.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Ok, Ok. I will tell you all this. If I see you on the side of road you will be left there until after closing ceremonies. I'll come back and help you after that with award in hand.

My 2015 Jetta SEL was Best in Show the last 2 Fests......Fortunately for you it won’t be in attendance because my Wife won’t let me take it again....but this one won’t have a Show anyway....

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
My 2015 Jetta SEL was Best in Show the last 2 Fests......Fortunately for you it won’t be in attendance because my Wife won’t let me take it again....but this one won’t have a Show anyway....

tomo as much as I would like to take ALL the awards this year I'm only really going after the farthest driven. I'm willing to spread the love

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
tomo as much as I would like to take ALL the awards this year I'm only really going after the farthest driven. I'm willing to spread the love
It is all good!! and really about Camaraderie! I have made Friends for life over the Past 23 years! and it is sad that it pretty Much ended after the 16 TDI FEST! with a few exceptions.....With all of the TDI's on lots these days it would be nice!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've got the longest distance traveled award already in the bag and I won't be denied.
We have members in California, Oregon and Washington State as well as Vancouver, BC who have attended TDIFests, so don't be so sure of that... :D

Longest distance travelled? There was a bloke from the U.K. that made it to the 2001 'fest in Utah.
Longest distance driven? Maybe that'll be you this year.

My request for the day off was approved so I will be there.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
How about Colorado as a location? It's pretty much the center if the united states.
I would be willing to help remotely but there needs to be someone local to the event to check out venue etc.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How about Colorado as a location? It's pretty much the center if the united states.
I would be willing to help remotely but there needs to be someone local to the event to check out venue etc.
:D This is like someone on the east coast saying Chicago is halfway across the US. Denver is a 4 hour flight from Boston, 90 minutes from LA. Not exactly halfway. Geographic center of the lower 48 is Jefferson City Missouri. Not exactly a garden spot.

Joking aside, People have suggested Colorado before. I think it would be an awesome location. There was a Fest there, before my time: 2000 or 2001, I think. Blown turbos aside it was reportedly a lot of fun.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
:D This is like someone on the east coast saying Chicago is halfway across the US. Denver is a 4 hour flight from Boston, 90 minutes from LA. Not exactly halfway. Geographic center of the lower 48 is Jefferson City Missouri. Not exactly a garden spot.
Joking aside, People have suggested Colorado before. I think it would be an awesome location. There was a Fest there, before my time: 2000 or 2001, I think. Blown turbos aside it was reportedly a lot of fun.
FYI that was Park City Utah.......Not Colorado....

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Have you read this thread? There will probably never be a TDIFest as we knew it......

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There were actually 2 in Maine and they were amazing.....much easier said than done however....
.Good Luck!
I believe I have a tee shirt from the 2013 one that was in Sunday River. Hard to imagine that was 7 years ago. Hopefully, after the Covid stuff ends right after the November election, someone will organize another Fest.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I believe I have a tee shirt from the 2013 one that was in Sunday River. Hard to imagine that was 7 years ago. Hopefully, after the Covid stuff ends right after the November election, someone will organize another Fest.
Actually both were in Sunday River just at different resorts good times

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
I went to both Sunday River events and they were great. I love that area and would love to go back, but I also remember the second being a bit smaller than the first... I know this is sort of against the spirit of TDIFest, because we have always liked to have our own "more mature" get together than many of the other VW shows you see, but has anyone thought to maybe combine forces with one of the larger water cooled shows and carve out a section for us TDI Folks? We could bring more people to the event and get a lot of carry over from the people showing up to the "regular" show as well.

Now I do have a question... Back in the day, TDIFest was supposed to be a once a year event basically to fund the cost of running the website. Is this funding stream still required? Who is the webmaster these days? What are the costs in running this forum now after the update? What funding streams already exist to cover this?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The webmaster is and always has been Fred Voglmaier - VW Derf on the Forums. I'm not sure of the costs, but I do know that a lot of us donate to keep the site running. Different levels of membership - Basic, Supporter, Enthusiast - come with different photo and message storage capacities. It's a small price to pay for the amazing resources TDIClub offers.

Now I do have a question... Back in the day, TDIFest was supposed to be a once a year event basically to fund the cost of running the website. Is this funding stream still required? Who is the webmaster these days? What are the costs in running this forum now after the update? What funding streams already exist to cover this?