PC 3.0 Fix Approved by EPA/CARB

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
EPA and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved an emissions fix for Audi’s 3.0 liter, generation 2 diesel passenger cars. This approval covers model year 2014-2016 Audi A6 Quattro, A7 Quattro, A8, A8L and Q5 diesel vehicles.
The approved fix entails removing defeat device software that reduced emission control effectiveness in all but emissions testing circumstances, and replacing it with software that directs the emission controls to function effectively in all typical vehicle operations. In addition, Audi will replace certain hardware components.
To obtain the approval, the company submitted test data and technical information to EPA and CARB demonstrating that the fix brings emissions into compliance with the standards to which these vehicles were originally certified, without negative impacts to vehicle reliability or durability. With this approval, the company can begin to offer the fix to customers. As required by the Court settlement, Audi will provide customers with information that describes any changes to vehicle attributes that would be anticipated as a result of the fix.

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2012 Q7 TDI, 2013 PORSCHE TDI,2015 BLUETECH
finally, can enjoy the A6 and Caynne

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Mmh, only four vehicles were tested and we have five models of A6, A7, A8, A8L, Q5. No mentioning of drivibility, no power curve. Not at all. That's very scientific.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
The claims portal directed me to call my dealer.
Geez, I know it is early, but my dealer in NJ is freaking clueless. They are acting like I am calling from outer space about scheduling the fix. They keep saying that they don't see anything in the system about a recall for emissions. I asked if they were familiar with how their corporate parent fraudulently defeated the emissions systems in their diesel vehicles, deceiving the EPA, CARB and their customers. They have someone calling me back, as the person answering the phone for the service department wasn't even aware of the issue for the Q7's.
Can these people be on the same page for once?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
hold yer horses, this was EPA saying it was approved.. not Audi saying it was ready, it'll take a couple weeks before they start scheduling fixes, at best.. took nearly a month for my dealer to get my Q7's parts after the fix was announced.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
hold yer horses, this was EPA saying it was approved.. not Audi saying it was ready, it'll take a couple weeks before they start scheduling fixes, at best.. took nearly a month for my dealer to get my Q7's parts after the fix was announced.
Perhaps you missed the part about what the Claims Portal directed me to do:

"Schedule Your Appointment
The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Emissions Compliant Repair. All scheduling must take place with the dealer directly.
You should be able to schedule an appointment with a dealership within 60 days from when you contact your dealer to schedule an appointment. If you have trouble finding an appointment within 60 days, please contact the Settlement Support Team at 844-98-CLAIM.

Once the dealer completes the Emissions Compliant Repair, you will be issued a receipt. If you chose to receive payment by check, a check will be mailed to you within 3 banking days. If you chose to receive payment by electronic funds transfer (EFT), funds will be submitted for payment within 3 banking days.
The preferred dealership location you provided previously is below."
------------------------

Some of us want to take our money and run away from Audi. F them. Will never buy an Audi or VW product again.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
yeah it directed me to do the same thing back in October, and the local dealers were just as confused when I called em about it then.. a couple of weeks later they had their **** together.. Dealers couldent even order the required parts until all the systems were updated with the fix.. I called em every day, when they finally had the ability to order parts they did.. then I waited another couple of weeks before they called back and said parts were ready and I could come in for the fix.

Chill, your not getting fixed for another couple of weeks if your lucky.. some bit was flipped in the claims portal but that dont mean the dealers are up to speed.

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
I asked if they were familiar with how their corporate parent fraudulently defeated the emissions systems in their diesel vehicles, deceiving the EPA, CARB and their customers.
I understand the frustration, but did you really expect an answer to a question like that from the dealer?? Come on man, you were probably talking to a guy who schedules oil changes. Give it a week or two and their systems will be ready to schedule the repair.

McFuzz

TDI
A6 TDI
So it seems that there is an increase of 10-40% in DEF consumption (a hell of a swing) but that free refills are available for up to 10 years from date of when car went into service (i.e. when bought new) or 4 years from date of repair.

Question is - does that mean I have to service the car there, or I can just call up for a refill whenever needed?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
So it seems that there is an increase of 10-40% in DEF consumption (a hell of a swing) but that free refills are available for up to 10 years from date of when car went into service (i.e. when bought new) or 4 years from date of repair.

Question is - does that mean I have to service the car there, or I can just call up for a refill whenever needed?

Just drive in for a refill. Call first if you like.

chalkycat@gmail.com

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
VW Wins

The articles I read all mention how much money the fixes for the 3.0 cars (I own a 2014 Q5 TDI) saved the company so much money. Is that all they care about? No info on what the consumer has gone through. No info on what the consumer has to go through. No info on when the consumer will hear when our car is up for a fix. No info to the consumer on how the fix will affect the car. I google and just get out dated ino, even on the Audi site. Dealers know absolutely nothing on what is going on with the fixes. So we just go on polluting even more. Is this whole thing being kept a secret to the consumer and why? I'm not happy when big corporations win over the consumers who keep their companies afloat, who are kept in the dark about what is going on, but gee, can't the consumer get some respect? Seems like the 3.0 owners are the forgotten people (unlike the 2.0 owners who didn't have to wait forever for a fix and were given a buyback option). One thing I know for sure is that I hope this fix was not affected by the new head of the EPA and Trump, 2 people that don't care about the environment at all! Just venting here. Thanks for listening.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
The articles I read all mention how much money the fixes for the 3.0 cars (I own a 2014 Q5 TDI) saved the company so much money. Is that all they care about? No info on what the consumer has gone through. No info on what the consumer has to go through. No info on when the consumer will hear when our car is up for a fix. No info to the consumer on how the fix will affect the car. I google and just get out dated ino, even on the Audi site. Dealers know absolutely nothing on what is going on with the fixes. So we just go on polluting even more. Is this whole thing being kept a secret to the consumer and why? I'm not happy when big corporations win over the consumers who keep their companies afloat, who are kept in the dark about what is going on, but gee, can't the consumer get some respect? Seems like the 3.0 owners are the forgotten people (unlike the 2.0 owners who didn't have to wait forever for a fix and were given a buyback option). One thing I know for sure is that I hope this fix was not affected by the new head of the EPA and Trump, 2 people that don't care about the environment at all! Just venting here. Thanks for listening.
Are you Ralph Nader?

Just kidding you, I somewhat agree, except for your last part. The new tax law is going to help me bigly, so screw the environment for 4 more years. (just kidding again).

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
yeah it directed me to do the same thing back in October, and the local dealers were just as confused when I called em about it then.. a couple of weeks later they had their **** together.. Dealers couldent even order the required parts until all the systems were updated with the fix.. I called em every day, when they finally had the ability to order parts they did.. then I waited another couple of weeks before they called back and said parts were ready and I could come in for the fix.

Chill, your not getting fixed for another couple of weeks if your lucky.. some bit was flipped in the claims portal but that dont mean the dealers are up to speed.
Very solid advice. Thank you. I (like others) have been like an expecting father, pacing the delivery room, waiting for this announcement. I want to be done with Audi asap.

On the other hand, I am STILL waiting on when Mazda is going to introduce the CX-5 diesel in the USA. Word has been for a long time it is soon. Every review I have read about this vehicle with a 2.2L Turbo Diesel is stellar, and reviews draw many comparisons to the Q5 TDI. Now, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, and I do realize it is a Mazda, but the Grand Touring edition is very nice, and at $35,000 out the door, that is $15-20,000 cheaper than a Q5 TDI (assuming they still offered one). Looking at the interior pictures and their electronic interface, it seems Mazda did everything possible to make it a cheaper Q5 replacement. Zoom, Zoom!!!

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
After reading this, I can't quibble with much of anything. They are doing everything the court settlement required them to do.

As far as performance, wonder if those having issues live in high altitude areas? The booklet says:

The emissions modification will affect your car in the following
ways:
Engine sound may differ somewhat from your vehicle's prior
operation. There might be a difference in combustion noise from
the engine that may be noticeable during vehicle warm-up. The
potential change in sound will not result in any noticeable
changes to the driving characteristics of your vehicle.

Shift Patterns - The shifting behavior has been adapted to run
with slightly higher engine speeds during vehicle warm-up and
when driving at high altitudes.

Dade

TDI
2015 Q5 PremPlus TDI
The instant the final payment hits my account im trading my Q5 in for another BMW.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Dealer e-mailed me and they were told by their Audi rep that they would have the parts/fix available mid-January.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Just spoke to my dealership and they said call back after the New Year!

Burnt

TDI
A7
To get the extended warranty, do you have to get the fix first or can you get it now? Service guy told me I can't get the extended till I get the fix.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I received recall noticies for both of my Q5’s to replace the auxiliary heater. They did a software fix on the heaters last year and I guess that didn’t correct it. Hopefully they have the parts for the fix and the auxiliary heater so I can knock both out at one time.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Dealer contacted me to schedule my fix for January 15. They will also fix the heater issue recall.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
What is the heater issue recall?
I got a paper notice from Audi (can't they use e-mail?) saying the Auxiliary heater needed to be fixed because it could catch the vehicle on fire. I ignored it with the hope the vehicle would catch on fire and to end the buyback/emission fix drama.

https://vw-audi.oemdtc.com/193/safety-recalls-80c580c6-auxiliary-heater-2013-2016-audi-a5-a4-q5

Safety Recalls 80C5/80C6 – Auxiliary Heater – 2013-2016 Audi A5, A4 & Q5

oemdtc November 15, 2017 Recalls
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V622
Manufacturer Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 216,440

Auxiliary Heater Electrical Connector may Melt
The melted wires can increase the risk of a fire.

Summary

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain 2013-2016 Audi A5 Coupe, A5 Cabriolet, A4 Sedan, A4 Allroad and Q5 vehicles. Contact corrosion within the electrical connector for the auxiliary heater may cause the heater wires to overheat or melt.

Remedy

Audi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the auxiliary heater and, as necessary, update the software, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Audi customer service at 1-800-893-5298. Volkswagen’s numbers for this recall are 80C5 and 80C6.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I got a paper notice from Audi (can't they use e-mail?) saying the Auxiliary heater needed to be fixed because it could catch the vehicle on fire. I ignored it with the hope the vehicle would catch on fire and to end the buyback/emission fix drama.

https://vw-audi.oemdtc.com/193/safety-recalls-80c580c6-auxiliary-heater-2013-2016-audi-a5-a4-q5

Safety Recalls 80C5/80C6 – Auxiliary Heater – 2013-2016 Audi A5, A4 & Q5

oemdtc November 15, 2017 Recalls
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V622
Manufacturer Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 216,440

Auxiliary Heater Electrical Connector may Melt
The melted wires can increase the risk of a fire.

Summary

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain 2013-2016 Audi A5 Coupe, A5 Cabriolet, A4 Sedan, A4 Allroad and Q5 vehicles. Contact corrosion within the electrical connector for the auxiliary heater may cause the heater wires to overheat or melt.

Remedy

Audi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the auxiliary heater and, as necessary, update the software, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Audi customer service at 1-800-893-5298. Volkswagen’s numbers for this recall are 80C5 and 80C6.
Thanks! Mine is included.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Dealer called back today. They seem a bit unsure about what to do, as I am the first Q5 owner to have called. Maybe I should wait? I do want to get this done, get my money and get rid of this car, but on the other hand, I think I am going to wait for the Mazda CX-5 Diesel to be introduced, if that ever happens.