LED headlights

spoonman4

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI 5mt
Hey all. I am new to the VW family as well as the TDI family! I couldn't be happier with my new car (2014 Passat NMS TDI SEL)

One thing that is lacking on these vehicles is the option to have led DRL as the new VW CC and all the Audi's have. I went out on a search to find some i could purchase for my new car, and came across a few different things.

1) a company in canada named Kraftig sold headlights AND included a wiring harness for the lights to truly be plug and play with no warning lights on the dash. ONLY one problem..... the company no longer exists, and sold chinese production lights
2) China makes some pretty sweet looking lights with LED strips in them and even some with dual LED strips. BUT the problem with these are that they require some fine tuning with setup, wiringm, and sometimes install. Not to mention people having issues by getting second hand production lights, and having issues with the company in china taking or holding their money, while sending a crappy product.
-- yea, they look awesome, but for $600+ i didnt want to have to run the risk of ruining the lights by having to rewire everything, and ave a chance to get a faulty problem.
--- plus i would prefer not to give more money to china than i/we already do.

All that being said, I posted a thread on passatworld.com in hopes of someone there being able to help me on my quest. (link to thread here) and one of the users on that site pointed me in the direction of a guy named Jeffrey Rudzinski out of Ohio who does custom retrofitting for lights. his email is jeff.rudzinski@gmail.com if anybody wants to contact him.

He has been ABSOLUTELY helpful in my quest. He has listened to all my ideas, some realistic and soem unrealistic, and has given me his opinion on what can and cannot be done. He answers emails quickly and is eager to get ME the headlights I want on MY vehicle. He goes out of his way to get the best info and most up to date products to use in the retrofit. If you are a passat owner like myself, and are in the market to get an upgraded headlight kit with HID and LED strip then i suggest you contact Jeff. I will post some pictures of the process as they become available.

***** UPDATE- Kraftig is still up and running. they just emailed me back.

Last edited:

spoonman4

TDI
What I wanted done on tmy own headlights.
- LED strip (works as blinker as well)
- HID lights with projector
- Angel eyes around the projector
- LED light bulbs in the existing DRL and BLINKER slots

here are some pics that he has sent me so far. I believe I am going to choose option 3. but am waiting to see some pictures of the LED strip while it is on. (will be receiving those tonight)

Option 1 (LED strip along the bottom, amber side reflector still in)

Here is ption 1 with the LED strip on

Option 2 - LED strip ZIG ZAGGED as well as leaving the amber side reflector in, Had to use paint to show where the LED strip would be placed because he was unable to hold led strip in place and hold the light and take the picture all at once. also, this one has the projector in place already

Option 3- More like the audi style curved LED light. amber side reflector taken out. led strip ends where the blinker light area starts.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Hate to bust your bubble, but Kraftig was only reselling the Chinese lights, not making them. I helped him sort out the harness wiring after I had installed the Audi LED style that I bought from China back in 2012. China is the source for any of the current crop of aftermarket lights, which consists of 3 versions so far and more recently, a thread describing the retrofit of OEM Chinese bixenon headlights. If you want to retrofit the OEM housings, go for it, as there hasn't been a lot done in that arena and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Any LED added to the OEM housings will need a resistor to eliminate the bulb out warning or be in parallel to a regular lamp, as the LED alone will not draw enough current to satisfy the BOW.

spoonman4

TDI
Hate to bust your bubble, but Kraftig was only reselling the Chinese lights, not making them.
Well regardless they are no longer selling anything so there was no bubble to bust... that being said, thank you, i will go edit the original post.

Any LED added to the OEM housings will need a resistor to eliminate the bulb out warning or be in parallel to a regular lamp, as the LED alone will not draw enough current to satisfy the BOW.

Jeff is taking care of everything on that field, as they are truly going to be plug and play with no error issues on the dash

Last edited:

spoonman4

TDI
here are some pictures of Option 3 with the led strips in and lit. as well as the amber reflector side piece taken out

here is the led amber option, this strip will act as the blinker as well

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Hate to bust your bubble, but Kraftig was only reselling the Chinese lights, not making them. I helped him sort out the harness wiring after I had installed the Audi LED style that I bought from China back in 2012. China is the source for any of the current crop of aftermarket lights, which consists of 3 versions so far and more recently, a thread describing the retrofit of OEM Chinese bixenon headlights. If you want to retrofit the OEM housings, go for it, as there hasn't been a lot done in that arena and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Any LED added to the OEM housings will need a resistor to eliminate the bulb out warning or be in parallel to a regular lamp, as the LED alone will not draw enough current to satisfy the BOW.
"CANBUS" bulbs seem to work well in the NMS but my B7 A4 is a next story.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
"CANBUS" bulbs seem to work well in the NMS but my B7 A4 is a next story.
I agree with canbus LED's, but my initial reference was towards the LED 'strips' that are being mounted in the OEM housings. I doubt that they are canbus compatible.

spoonman4

TDI
once i get the new headlights, if anyone is interested in doing the same retrofit, my current headlights will be for sale. They are off a 2014 passat tdi sel. ive had the car for about 2 months now

Last edited:

spoonman4

TDI
Alright, got some updates on the headlights. here are some pictures jeff has sent.

blinker light and LED strip with blinker feature

DRL LED and angel eyes

different angle

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Looks pretty nice! You should have him do quad bi-xenon projectors for the ultimate in front-end illumination. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have Monopoly money, but that's about it. :(

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Got me thinking

Not wanting to sink a ton of money into my Passat (I rather put it into my Jeep), I decided to do a little improvement to the headlights w/o going LED. I stuck a pair of offroad 65w H7's in place of the 55w's and boy what a difference. Wider beam, throws it out there further (I may just lower them a bit) and of course, brighter. I didn't want to go higher then 65watts because I've heard it could burn out the wires. I only did the low beams. Thinking of now moving up for the driving lights. Now to find someone in my area with a cable so I can turn off the light life setting. Suggestions on the driving lights?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm glad for you that the 65w made a difference. It didn't for my 2012, haven't tried it in my 2014. I did max out the voltage in both cars. Both cars came from the factory with the headlights adjusted way too low, which is an easy adjustment.
"Wider beam"? How could that be, since you're using the same lens?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
:):) you front the cash for it and ill gladly get quad bi-xenon :):)
How deep are you into it with this mod - projectors, HIDs, LED strip, labor and shipping both ways to retrofit? Inquiring minds what to know.

TDI
I'll post up the price for the set that was made for the OP of this thread. Total came out to $640. That included: projectors, LED strip, LED angel eye, CAN-BUS harness (from TRS), 55W ballasts, HID bulbs, labor, OEM assemblies, and my best guess on return shipping.

Thing to note is that the OP wanted the LED strips ($90) and the LED angel eyes ($60). Additionally, instead of sending me his lights I sourced a set of used OEM lights to the tune of $200. So that is $350 right there. If instead of me sourcing a set of assemblies you'd have to ship them to me at a estimated cost of $50 or so...so you'd save about $150 of that $640 by sending me your existing lights to work on.

If anyone has more questions about pricing let me know via PM. I hear it is frowned upon for vendors to do any sort of advertising on threads not in the vendor section so I'll try to not post much on this thread. Hopefully this is allowed considering I was answering a member question.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Looks geat, OP! What kind of projectors are they. IMO/FYI, not all projectors are created equal.

spoonman4

TDI
just heard from jeff, lights should be shippig out tuesday/wednesday-ish. Ill throw them on as soon as i get a chance to!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
just heard from jeff, lights should be shippig out tuesday/wednesday-ish. Ill throw them on as soon as i get a chance to!

Definitely interested! Glad to throw some money towards an American source and not Chinese.

The pics on the car are what I am interested in!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Spoon- are the LED strips different, as you go from the pics in posts # 2-6-10? The first posted look longer, maybe a little thinner? Do you know the differences in cost, color temp, and lumens? Thx.

spoonman4

TDI
Spoon- are the LED strips different, as you go from the pics in posts # 2-6-10? The first posted look longer, maybe a little thinner? Do you know the differences in cost, color temp, and lumens? Thx.

the led strips in all pictures are the same. The cost for these were 90 bucks. these are flexible and act as a blinker as well. the other LED strips that are uniform and not individual LED lights are not very flexible. but are cheaper than these. i belive they are 70 bucks. and if you wanted the LED strips that have 8-10 individual lights i think those were 35 or 45. But again the last 2 mentioned are not very flexible and would not be able to make the bend upward like i wanted.

ALSO- lights shipped out today. should receive them by next monday and then will install. LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!

FREAKWITHRACKET is jeff for anyone who is wondering. he is the guy who made the lights

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the info! As you look from the first pics of the LEDs to the later, what are the little pieces that appear along the outside of the tube? Just curious. I can't see them in the first pix. Will they be bright enough for DRL use?

spoonman4

TDI
what are the little pieces that appear along the outside of the tube? Just curious. I can't see them in the first pix. Will they be bright enough for DRL use?
the first pics i posted were just prototype pictures jeff was sending me with the LED strip just sitting in place, not attached.

those are the clamps that hold the led strip down. Jeff was having a difficult time figuring out a way to mount the led strip in a way to ensure it does not break loose, and he purchased (what i believe he said it was nylon) clamps. those are the little things around the LED strips. They are visible when the light is off, but if you look in the other pictures, you cannot see them when the lights are on. and yes, the LED strip will be brighter than the original DRL. but i think i will get LED DRL bulbs as well to go along with the LED strips.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the first pics i posted were just prototype pictures jeff was sending me with the LED strip just sitting in place, not attached. those are the clamps that hold the led strip down. Jeff was having a difficult time figuring out a way to mount the led strip in a way to ensure it does not break loose, and he purchased (what i believe he said it was nylon) clamps. those are the little things around the LED strips. They are visible when the light is off, but if you look in the other pictures, you cannot see them when the lights are on. and yes, the LED strip will be brighter than the original DRL. but i think i will get LED DRL bulbs as well to go along with the LED strips.
I see it now- thanks! Looks great.
How are the tubes powered?

spoonman4

TDI
How are the tubes powered?
From what i understand, there are three wires coming out of the LED strip. 1 wire goes to the DRL power source, another goes to the blinker power source, and the 3rd is a ground.

I am by no means electronically inclined, but from what Jeff was describing to me, this is what i gathered from it.