Low Coolant warning because its Cold?

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Started my car up this morning and it gave me a Low Coolant warning. Got out checked under the car and no leak? Popped the hood and checked around the Rad area and no leak? Look inside canister and it is just below the line.

So two things,

Should I get my Coolant from dealer?

Could I be burning coolant somehow? No white smoke

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
My parents '09 had a coolant leak as well which required it to be filled 2 or 3 times.. There was no visible leak at all so I'm guessing it was via the EGR and sent back into the exhaust. I haven't had to refill it in over a year. It was taken into the dealer as well, given the once over and they found no issues (I basically told them to do this in order to get it documented).. As for topping it up a little distilled water will be fine.. As for where to get your coolant, always the dealer (Or a vendor here that sells G12/G12+)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
many here have had this after the car was a couple years old, me included. My theory is after a couple years the hoses soften and expand a little, the reservoir, as you see, is very small so even a little more in hoses is noticed. and the low level switch is right at the add mark. I added a little distilled water then got some g-12++ few weeks later and added a little of that and haven't needed any more since. My 1.5 liter bottle is still over 75% full.

Jaloosk

TDI
15 Passat Sport TDI
Mine did the exact same thing on Friday...just added a little coolant because it was right at the 'low' line and it's been fine since. No evidence of a leak anywhere either.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
A cup of deionized or distilled water and off you go. If this happens again soon, lool for the leak. G12 or it's latest veraion is a self sealing coolant. It can slow or stop small leaks and the residual looks like pink/orange chewing gum.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
My 03 has a small rad leak....needs about 4 ounces every 3 months. Never see anything on the ground, but I found the leak. When I do the belt and water pump I will try to seal it up....add some distilled water this time and monitor.

vacin

Veteran Member
TDI
01 tdi jetta auto, sold lemon 12 jetta tdi 3 pedal
Started my car up this morning and it gave me a Low Coolant warning. Got out checked under the car and no leak? Popped the hood and checked around the Rad area and no leak? Look inside canister and it is just below the line.

So two things,

Should I get my Coolant from dealer?

Could I be burning coolant somehow? No white smoke
The fluid contracts if you will when cold a borderline level will do this.
Add 50/50 and monitor