VW Approved TDI oils?

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Other than going to VW for oil for the TDI what are folks using thatis approved by VW and I can get at Autozone or other big box auto stores?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Are you looking for oil for your 2012 Passat? Different VW models have different requirements.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Check out the "sticky" at the top of the fuels and lubricants forum.

Short answer: VW approved 507 oils only. There are several to choose from, but I believe only Mobil 1 is readily available over-the-counter.

However, they are easily ordered from these popular vendors (not sure if they ALL sell oil...maybe just parts, but a good list to keep on hand):

www.idparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.1stvwparts.com
www.autohausaz.com
www.worldimpex.com

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI

Short answer: VW approved 507 oils only. There are several to choose from, but I believe only Mobil 1 is readily available over-the-counter.

However, they are easily ordered from these popular vendors (not sure if they ALL sell oil...maybe just parts, but a good list to keep on hand):

www.idparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.1stvwparts.com
www.autohausaz.com
www.worldimpex.com
Thanks TDIATLAST!

So the key is the 507 oil? Other than that any other concern?

I just checked the oil level after 2800 miles and I could use to add part of a quart to bring up to the full mark. I just want to make sure I put the right stuff in.

The sticky in fuels was overload for me. But interesting none the less.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would recommend getting a liter of Castrol from your dealer (should be around $8) to top-off. While it wouldn't be catastrophic, mixing oil brands/types is more complicated these days than in years past.
(FYI, I'm partial to Marten's first, Stohlmans's second, and maybe...Alexandria 3rd. I like the parts guys at Alexandria, not sure about the service, though)

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
Alexandria is my dealer so I will try them. Just easier to hit Pep Boy's or Autozone. But not everything in life is easy.

Thanks again for the comments! :)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Let's not start the oil wars... :) Yes a 507 oil.

So I read the manual it says 5W40. or 5W30. So which is it? I assume the 5W40 since it was FIRST in the list.

I learned not to use the 5W30 in the PD engines on the 05 Passats, but this is downright confusing when they list both.

I guess we are going to have to start our Used Oil Analysis with these engines to figure it all out again. Has anyone done UOA yet on theirs?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks a lot, TomB. "Let's not start the oil wars again."...indeed. Then you go and muddy the issue. SHEESH! (and I was just beginning to respect you again...)

Since the owner's manual covers both gas and diesel engine cars, it says only use 5W-40 and 5W30 oils. Then a chart lists the VW approved numbers for gas and diesel, but doesn't list the viscosity of the oils in the chart. (It's easy to see how our friend TomB got confused here, but...)

Simply stated: VW 507 oil only. 507 is only available in 5W-30.

For more specific information, and very lively discussion, go to the Fuels and Additives forum. There are several threads there.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's right... please keep all oil discussion in the Fuels & Lubes forum. I really don't feel like moderating an oil war in here. ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
So the key is the 507 oil? Other than that any other concern?
Yes! and No

So I read the manual it says 5W40. or 5W30. So which is it? I assume the 5W40 since it was FIRST in the list.

Has anyone done UOA yet on theirs?
The manual is wrong about this. VW manuals cover ALL varieties of our cars (gas and diesel). The 5w40 is for the gassers. VW 507.0 is, by definition, always 5w30. The important thing is that DPF equipped engines MUST use a Low SAPS oil. If you must use a 5w40 oil, go with Mercedes Benz 229.51 approved oil after your warranty is over (it is Low SAPS and can be 5w30 or 5w40).

As for UOAs, yes many members here have done UOAs on 507.0 oils. There are whole threads devoted to UOAs and the conclusion is that 10k oil change interval is actually pretty conservative.

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Thanks...after spending quite a bit of time reading, and on several sites, the previous three posts clears up the question mark I couldn't dispel.... 507.00 oil, whatever else it may be defined as, is always 5W30.

I also ended up with more questions about the direction of motor oils generally than I had before I started, but that's unlikely to be cleared up by any number of threads. I probably need to go elsewhere and learn a bit more about the theory behind contemporary multi-weight synthetic motor oil.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
NAPA should be able to get you a Lubro Moly 507 oil.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yes! and No

The manual is wrong about this. VW manuals cover ALL varieties of our cars (gas and diesel). The 5w40 is for the gassers. VW 507.0 is, by definition, always 5w30. The important thing is that DPF equipped engines MUST use a Low SAPS oil. If you must use a 5w40 oil, go with Mercedes Benz 229.51 approved oil after your warranty is over (it is Low SAPS and can be 5w30 or 5w40).

As for UOAs, yes many members here have done UOAs on 507.0 oils. There are whole threads devoted to UOAs and the conclusion is that 10k oil change interval is actually pretty conservative.

Have Fun!

Don
Before I go over to the oils and start trying to decipher which are which, I wanted to see if any 2012 PASSAT owners had done any yet. I know there are lots of others out there, especially the 05 Passat with my contributions and all the OTHER vehicles. :)

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Pep Boys, M1 ESP 5W30.

Btw, concerns over mixing oil brands is an Old Wives Tale.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KS_Jetta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual

www.idparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.1stvwparts.com
www.autohausaz.com
www.worldimpex.com

+1 on www.idparts.com
188,000 miles on my 06 TDI and all oil change items (save 1) from them