need a new steering wheel

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
love the car but not so much the driving position, in particular the lack of a 6 oclock hand position on the steering wheel.

is there a steering wheel that would be a plug and play for the 2013 tdi se that has 2 or 4 spokes so i can rest my hand at 6 oclock?

i realize that i would have to have a new wheel and airbag and i am open to a non-vw steering wheel (audi?) as long as it is plug and play.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I prefer the 3 spoke myself. Makes it far less fatiguing on the arm by resting it on the knee. And you get to chose right or left.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I remember when I got a 1990 Toyota Truck, and realizing how much sense the steering wheel spokes made. 6 O'clock OK, 10 and 2 OK, even a 3pm or 5pm position just over or under the right spoke. You could rest both hands with full weight at 9 and 3 too (particularly comfortable sometimes).

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I feel your pain as I spent 15 years with a 4-spoke B4 Passat wheel and found it very comfortable compared to the NMS wheel. While I am (generally) a proponent of 9 & 3, I recognize the need to shift around some. I have found a semi-comfy spot with elbow on the window sill/ 9:00 with the left hand and right hand at about 5:30, sometimes with a finger through the hole at 6:00. Hope you find a satisfactory solution.

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
i have driven a vehicle that had a wheel like that toyota truck and i recall thinking that it had to be the most comfortable steering wheel i had ever used up to that time.

i am too tall and thin :) to have the seat high enough to rest my elbow on the drivers door. my left arm would look like a skinny chicken in flight.

right now i am resting my left hand on my right knee and driving at about 7-8 oclock but on long trips that gets tiring and i find that course corrections are harder to exert upward force compared to downward force at the 6 position. thus my wrist gets fatigued faster. i tried fitting a finger in that damn little hole (steering wheel folks - get your minds out of the gutter!) but it is too small.

if the car wasnt so damn new i would consider taking a sawzall to the bottom post and with a combination of files and heat reworking the remaining stub until it could be rewrapped in leather.