1999.5 tdi long crank time to get started cold

joelala

TDI
jetta
I just bought a 1999 mk4 TDI and I am having a problem with starting it. I find that it it will take a lot longer to start in the morning, I feel that it is a fuel issue. Is there a check valve in the sending unit that would keep the fuel from losing pressure? I havent had the timing checked with a vag, but it did look like someone had advanced it. I have adjusted the timing to get it to start well warm but still have a very long crank time cold. If anyone has had this problem or can offer help it would be much appreciated. I don't feel it to be a timing issue.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Same issue when it's hot? Your car comes from the factory with a software glitch that that causes a hot start issue. This REALLY takes a toll on the starter..

However, if the timing is spot on and the glowplugs are good I'd look at the fuel filter for leaks. You could be getting air into the system which would make starting a pita.

My 99.5 even stock when cold would startup without issue with a few cycles of the key. I also extended the glowplug time...

joelala

TDI
jetta
Thanks for the quick reply, I just put a new battery in 2 days ago, the old on was pooched. There isn't much air in the clear line, a few bubbles when running but not much. I haven't had the timing checked with a vag but I did adjust it manually and got it to start much better warm but there seems to be no change with the engine cold. I have also changed 2 glow plugs that were faulty, fuel filter and did a diesel purge with no change to the cold start issue.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
joelala said:
Thanks for the quick reply, I just put a new battery in 2 days ago, the old on was pooched. There isn't much air in the clear line, a few bubbles when running but not much. I haven't had the timing checked with a vag but I did adjust it manually and got it to start much better warm but there seems to be no change with the engine cold. I have also changed 2 glow plugs that were faulty, fuel filter and did a diesel purge with no change to the cold start issue.
You should not change the timing manually without Vag-com. The adjustment is so sensitive, there is no way to know exactly where it is without checking it with Vag. Get the car hooked up to a Vag and check the timing.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The glowplugs really shouldn't come into play this time of year.

First thing I would do is verify timing with VCDS. Then iq, injector balance, spray pattern etc.

How is your battery and starter? 99.5's don't suffer weak starting systems well.

joelala

TDI
jetta
does anyone know of a good shop with a vag that would help. The starter seems to be cranking fine. I hope I didn't buy a bucket of bolts. I had a 2000 that got written off and it was such a good car that I had to get another one.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Whereabouts are you in Toronto?

There are a lot of members who have VCDS and don't mind doing a scan for the price of a coffee and some conversation (like myself).

Also, I happen to have been driving a 99.5 for a few years now, and know them quite well. That is if you are up for a drive to Markham...

joelala

TDI
jetta
I live near newmarket but work near the airport. I don't have the car on the road yet. You have a vag windex? and you wouldn't mind checking the IP timing?

Deezel77

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
LNXGUY said:
Same issue when it's hot? Your car comes from the factory with a software glitch that that causes a hot start issue. This REALLY takes a toll on the starter..

However, if the timing is spot on and the glowplugs are good I'd look at the fuel filter for leaks. You could be getting air into the system which would make starting a pita.

My 99.5 even stock when cold would startup without issue with a few cycles of the key. I also extended the glowplug time...
Thats what happened to me, I was having hard starting issues, replaced the glowplugs, replaced the harness, replaced the battery, and then my starter finally crapped out.

joelala

TDI
jetta
Deezel77 said:
Thats what happened to me, I was having hard starting issues, replaced the glowplugs, replaced the harness, replaced the battery, and then my starter finally crapped out.

Did the starter finally fix the problem?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
It's a software issue. The 99.5s seem to be frankenstein's of sorts as they have some parts from the older gen cars, some from the MKIV. Software is a little glitchy too (as they ironed things out for the following model years). Apparently, a number of chip tuners are aware of the issue and when upgrading the ECM software, some can adjust this problem. Some have claimed better starts, some have said no effect.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have an ecu with an upsolute tune, and my hot extended starts are gone, but it still takes longer to start than a2000-2003.

Nothing excessive though just a few more revs of the crank compared to a 2000 and up.

My previous hot start issue was excessive though - up to 5 seconds of cranking sometimes.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
My 01 takes a few cranks to catch when cold. worse in winter. either there is a compression issue, or a starter issue. I'm leaving it be for now.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
joelala said:
I live near newmarket but work near the airport. I don't have the car on the road yet. You have a vag windex? and you wouldn't mind checking the IP timing?
I forgot. Is the car mobile at all? I am in NE markham 9th line and 16th area, and more than happy to scan your car. I can probably swing a visit to Newmarket on the pretense of going to princess auto though...:rolleyes:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Toronto_Vento said:
It's a software issue. The 99.5s seem to be frankenstein's of sorts as they have some parts from the older gen cars, some from the MKIV. Software is a little glitchy too (as they ironed things out for the following model years). Apparently, a number of chip tuners are aware of the issue and when upgrading the ECM software, some can adjust this problem. Some have claimed better starts, some have said no effect.
John, the only software issue with the 99.5's is a hot start issue.

Now, if the OP is having issues starting the car when it's hot all he needs to do is unplug the CTS and it will start right up.

I was assuming his issue was when the car was cold.

Deezel77

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
joelala said:
Did the starter finally fix the problem?
Yeah it seemed to, hard starting followed by the loud noise went away, but I wasn't aware of the software issue though, it is possible that maybe even mine is going to have this issue again in the winter.

joelala

TDI
jetta
Windex said:
I forgot. Is the car mobile at all? I am in NE markham 9th line and 16th area, and more than happy to scan your car. I can probably swing a visit to Newmarket on the pretense of going to princess auto though...:rolleyes:
Thanks windex, I have the car at my work, but I should be getting in on the road soon, I would like to have it scanned once I get it on the road. I will let you know when I have it on the road an see if the offer still stands....did you want doughnuts with that coffee .....