flywheel timing mark

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
On the southbend stage 3 flywheel there are more then one mark which one do you use? there hard to see rotating clock wise would it be the first one? A picture of the marks would help.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
To quote Dieseldorf: Do you know what kind of car you have ??

Your profile doesn't help...

If you're talking about an ALH motor, there's also a mark on the back edge of the harmonic balancer, which lines up with a small line pressed into the lower timing belt cover... you can use that to help decide which mark on the flywheel is the correct one...

Yuri.

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
Its my sons car and its a 03 jetta TDI if that helps

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
ymz said:
To quote Dieseldorf: Do you know what kind of car you have ??

Your profile doesn't help...

If you're talking about an ALH motor, there's also a mark on the back edge of the harmonic balancer, which lines up with a small line pressed into the lower timing belt cover... you can use that to help decide which mark on the flywheel is the correct one...

Yuri.

is that mark on the top?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes... sort-of... (the engine's not perfectly vertical...) The mark on the back edge of the harmonic balancer looks like a tiny semi-circle that's been chewed out... the mark on the timing belt cover is also hard to find... looks like an embossed scratch...

Yuri.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
The easiest way to find out where it is, It's probably to pull TB cover out, rotate the engine until you could stick the IP pin in the hole then go and see on top of the tranny underaneath the coolant glow plugs, you are going to find small plug, pull it out and you should be able to see the timing mark on the fly wheel.

But I think the most accurate way would have to be to use the cam lock to lock the cam then pull the plug out from the on top of the tranny, you should be able to see it there, if the flywheel does not have a marking then you can stamp it right there.

FYI, My Sbc 3 that I recently installed did not have a marking on the flywheel, so I had to stamp it.

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
MAXRPM said:
The easiest way to find out where it is, It's probably to pull TB cover out, rotate the engine until you could stick the IP pin in the hole then go and see on top of the tranny underaneath the coolant glow plugs, you are going to find small plug, pull it out and you should be able to see the timing mark on the fly wheel.

But I think the most accurate way would have to be to use the cam lock to lock the cam then pull the plug out from the on top of the tranny, you should be able to see it there, if the flywheel does not have a marking then you can stamp it right there.

FYI, My Sbc 3 that I recently installed did not have a marking on the flywheel, so I had to stamp it.
I put the cam lock in and the mark on the flywheel is off a good 1/2 inch but there's 4 marks. When I lined up the first mark the ip lines up but the cams off so I'm thinking before I re set the timing want to make sure its the right mark so I don't cause problem.Would it run with the cam off that much???

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
As of matter fact, I just finished doing what you are trying to do, I had the same problem that you had with my SBC-3, if you are real anal like me, and you really would like your timing marking to be dead on, get your Vag.com program and line up the timing chart right on the center by losing the 3 IP bolts and moving the center of the IP, once you get it dead center on the timing chart stick the IP-pin, then go to your flywheel and mark it, also I double checked it by sticking the cam lock and it was dead center, so that is how I did mine and it came right on.

FYI, by just having the little play even with the cam lock in the lock position if you turn it to the far right or left, those marking on that you are seeing on your flywheel, move so far, so the secure way is by using the vag.com and center it and sticking the IP-pin then mark it.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can't assume that the car is mechanically aligned before you started working on it!!!! Sometimes they're off right from the factory... as well, the camshaft sprocket could have slipped...

You should definitely NOT mark the flywheel to synchronize with the locked camshaft !!!! That means that in case your mechanical timing between the cam and crank isn't perfectly aligned, you will be memorializing the wrong alignment...

If you don't have a mark on the flywheel, you should use the mark on the harmonic balancer as an almost-accurate guide, and then remove the glow plug on Cyl. 1 and put a probe down in order to measure for the actual TDC...

Yuri.

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
The mark on the flywheel matches the mark on the harmonic balancer so the cam is off 1/2 inch how could it run????????

Bigtoe

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagon
MAXRPM said:
As of matter fact, I just finished doing what you are trying to do, I had the same problem that you had with my SBC-3, if you are real anal like me, and you really would like your timing marking to be dead on, get your Vag.com program and line up the timing chart right on the center by losing the 3 IP bolts and moving the center of the IP, once you get it dead center on the timing chart stick the IP-pin, then go to your flywheel and mark it, also I double checked it by sticking the cam lock and it was dead center, so that is how I did mine and it came right on.

FYI, by just having the little play even with the cam lock in the lock position if you turn it to the far right or left, those marking on that you are seeing on your flywheel, move so far, so the secure way is by using the vag.com and center it and sticking the IP-pin then mark it.
Thanks that's some good info, I used the mark on the flywheel because it lined up with the mark on the harmonic balancer if it starts I'll mark the flywheel.