Viton Injection Pump Head O-Ring Seal

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
My pump is leaking and I'm finally planning to tackle this. I need a Viton Injection Pump Head O-Ring Seal (2.5mm x 60mm) and would prefer not to pay 30 bucks for one or two seals nor do I need 12-15 of these seals (most local seal shops have a $25-$30 minimum order).

Does anyone have a spare one (or two) lying around that you're willing to sell to me or know any places to get one that doesn't have such a high minimum order amount? I know Dieselgeek sells them but would prefer to avoid waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive (or paying 20-25 bucks for two orings with shipping and exchange rate etc). Thought I'd try this avenue first...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have one you can have. I also have the kit to do it in the car.

Call or text me to arrange to pick it up.

4I6 2O9 S4SS

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
GD - Able seal has a $25 minimum order, I tried them based on someone else's suggestion.

Nigel - I appreciate the offer. I'll get in touch via phone.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
GD - Able seal has a $25 minimum order, I tried them based on someone else's suggestion.

Nigel - I appreciate the offer. I'll get in touch via phone.
I did a walk in and they guys helped me out on the house for a couple of viton O rings. Bit of a crab shoot I guess.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
In order to do it right, make sure you (try) clean any corrosion in the pump case - seen a few head seals get chewed up on the way in and leak as bad as the old seal.

You will also need the QA housing and top cover gaskets. Do you have those already?

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
Thanks Windex! I have the Bosch kit so I have the other two seals, they're the ones leaking, I don't think the head seal is even leaking right now, but it may very well start if I replace the other two and leave the head - figured I'd do it all in one shot!

What d'you use to clean the corossion ?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I usually take the pump out of the car and turn it on it's end. I take the head off completely, and carefully clean off the corrosion by hand with a small safety razor blade.

Of the pumps where I have replaced the head seal, I'd say half had corrosion on the pump case that would have caused some difficulty with a "horizontal" on-car seal install.

If the seals on the QA housing are all that are leaking, I would just change those.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
Thanks Windex, I'm going to just bite the bullet and try and do all three, I really don't want to have to muck with any of this again. And hopefully the oring on the bolt in the middle of the pump head isn't leaking.

Has anyone ever replaced that seal? From what I was reading in Runonbeer's IP seal replacement thread the socket to replace the bolt is hard to come by and the bolt itself is a crush bolt and needs to be replaced as well, not sure where one would even source that bolt.

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Fairly easy to do. You have no choice but to remove the top covers so yes those 2 gaskets need to be replaced. There's a diy video floating around that I'll try to find. It's what I used to fix mine way back when it was leaking. Essentially top covers come off, 4 injector lines get disconnected, time pump properly before backing off the head. Most important is there's a washer inside that can fall if it's not timed.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Thanks Windex, I'm going to just bite the bullet and try and do all three, I really don't want to have to muck with any of this again. And hopefully the oring on the bolt in the middle of the pump head isn't leaking.

Has anyone ever replaced that seal? From what I was reading in Runonbeer's IP seal replacement thread the socket to replace the bolt is hard to come by and the bolt itself is a crush bolt and needs to be replaced as well, not sure where one would even source that bolt.
I have that socket. I bought it on ebay.co.uk You can reuse the "bolt" 95% of the time. It's almost always good to be reused at least once.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
You can reuse the "bolt" 95% of the time. It's almost always good to be reused at least once.
This bolt you’re referring to, is it the one that comes with the Viton seal kit from diesel geek? It is a black one but it seems a tad longer than the silver ones on the video referenced above. I did the head seal following their step by step but still have a leak. Ugh. Anyway, your input is appreciated.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
No I think we were both referring to the big bolt in the middle of the pump head. Where is the leak coming from? If it's from the head seal, you may have pinched the seal or didn't clean the head and the seal groove well enough or perhaps your leak is from the aforementioned bolt in the middle of the pump head. It has a seal that may be leaking and you need a special socket or a customized one to re&re the bolt.

My seal change appears to have been successful as it's been a couple months and it's still dry. BIG SHOUT OUT to Crawdaddy for lending me the tools required and to Nigel/Wingnut for coming through with the seal.

If done carefully, it's not a difficult job, and can be done on the car as per the video, just need to make sure you clean everything well, including the little seal groove and don't pinch the seal on the way back in. I powerwashed the pump beforehand and cleaned it with break cleaner as well.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Oh ok, I hear ya! Dang it! I guess I will have to get that seal back out and replaced with the second one I got in the kit from dieselgeek. they called it, if you damage the first one, you'll need the second one!

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Update:

so I cleaned up the area around the pump using brake cleaner. I removed the fuel injection lines and disconnected all the electrical connections sitting under the injection lines, just to have some room. Stuffed plenty of paper towels to catch as much fuel as I could. Removed the bolt sitting in the middle of the larger bolt with the weird head (pic below) and used this tip (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2308790&postcount=3) to get the pump on cam. Got the pump head to expose the seal and used a q-tip to wipe off any debris that might have fallen in the groove of the o-ring. Used some air to blow off any loose debris in the gap or on the o-ring itself. Not sure if that did anything but once that was done, I slowly tightened the head bolts (T-30) to get the head back onto the body. Put everything back together and primed the pump using a mity-vac. Anyway, cranked engine a bit and got the engine to run.

checked for leaks and so far, a day later, haven't seen any. I think the most important part is to make sure that you bolt up the head back onto the body of the pump as evenly as you can so that the seal doesn't catch on any side.

Thanks for all the awesome input from the TDI Club community! ;)

p377y7h33f

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed in Tornado Red
i know this is necromancy, but i wanted to share how i pinched my first head seal, and how i've been on my knees for the last two hours trying to get the o-ring into the groove all around.

it was at the bottom, of course. i didn't bother with the mirror the first time around, and now that i saw how badly i pinched the seal, i made sure to check the entire groove. the tiniest mirror i could find still doesn't fit all the way under the head because of that damned "cold injector" valve, and opposite of that damned valve i can barely see a tiny piece of the old seal stuck in the groove, preventing the new seal from snapping in. i got to it with a curved pick, which was nothing short of a surgical procedure, but i still can't see whole entire groove, and not sure if i may have pushed that piece deeper under the pump or if it has fallen out, or if the new seal is 100% in place all around. what a PITA!

having no spare seal, i'm hesitant to drive the head back in blindly. it's probably about a 1/2 inch of the groove's length that escapes my mirror, and the only confirmation i can come up with is the way a trimmed q-tip slides under the head and that it feels like the seal is fine all the way around.

so far every mention i've seen of removing that valve requires the IP to be out of the car. did i say this job turned out to be a major PITA? gonna have to risk it, can't afford more down time. with my luck that blind 1/2 inch will be out of groove.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
gonna have to risk it, can't afford more down time. with my luck that blind 1/2 inch will be out of groove.
what helped me the second time (with same seal) was to grease up the seal and use some q-tips to clean off the groove...then used some carb cleaner to blow off debris, and at the same time it dries off very fast. I made sure to cover the bolts holding the pump head on with tape to avoid any nicks on the seal. I definitely recommend using a mirror and some picks to make sure the groove is nice and clean. Your wife's or GF's compact's mirror will do the trick if you don't have an automotive mirror.

Wish you the best p377y7h33f!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
In case someone comes on here looking... RoselandTech has both the Bosch and Dieselgeek seal kits in stock... Purolator delivery was $16... got here in a jiffy...

Y.