What if No Fix? - 2009

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
No fix yet for my 2009. Is it possible that it'll happen? I'd rather it stay "broken" and get the payout if that's at all an option or is VW just trying to encourage trade-ins?
THANKS and I LOVE my diesel.
Why?!!!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
As I have told several people when this question comes up, my Magic 8-Ball is still in the shop.....

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
As I have told several people when this question comes up, my Magic 8-Ball is still in the shop.....
What shop? Maybe they need a "phone call" and a good long "friendly conversation about lakes, shoes...... and cement"....

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I'd rather it stay "broken" and get the payout if that's at all an option
That is not and never has been an option. Your options are (1) get the fix and get restitution $$$, if the fix is available; (2) sell the car back and get the buyback $$$; or (3) do nothing and get nothing.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
That is not and never has been an option. Your options are (1) get the fix and get restitution $$$, if the fix is available; (2) sell the car back and get the buyback $$$; or (3) do nothing and get nothing.
It's probably been answered a million times, but is the trade-in a worthwhile endeavor and, if so, is the 1.4T Jetta a good way to go? I drive a ton and must have a manual transmission and dipstick.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Really, only you can decide whether the buyback is worthwhile for you. It's almost certainly the most money you'll get for that car though.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
Your like one of those couples that is surprised to find out how much their house is worth so they sell.

Then they cant afford to buy another house.

Really, only you can decide whether the buyback is worthwhile for you. It's almost certainly the most money you'll get for that car though.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
Your like one of those couples that is surprised to find out how much their house is worth so they sell.
Crap - Just replaced my EGR and did a timing belt 18,000 miles ago.
Maybe I'll visit the shop and see. The salesman there is very nice.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Except they're able to buy a brand new house for the same amount of money they sold that haunted house for.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
It's probably been answered a million times, but is the trade-in a worthwhile endeavor and, if so, is the 1.4T Jetta a good way to go? I drive a ton and must have a manual transmission and dipstick.
Just want you to be aware that the transaction is not a trade-in. VW buys back your car; then, as a separate transaction, you buy a new car from your VW dealer. You pay tax based on the total price of the new car.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
Just want you to be aware that the transaction is not a trade-in. VW buys back your car; then, as a separate transaction, you buy a new car from your VW dealer. You pay tax based on the total price of the new car.
I'd maybe have done it prior to my timing belt and new EGR, but at this point might as well get the payout and then consider selling.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
What payout would that be?
Many months ago it was $5100. Called a few weeks ago and no fix for 2009's and no ETA.
Kind of figured I'd use that for the pending timing belt that was due, did it, then the EGR went, replaced that. If I knew it was going to start getting expensive I may have went for the buyout/new VW right from the start.
Still might look into that tomorrow morning and consider it if a hefty buyout figure, but I really do like my TDI. I fear that they'll **** it up with the "fix".

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
This is the deal that worked out very well for me. I miss the cargo capacity of my JSW but not the emissions and fuel systems. It's actually more fun to drive with better weight distribution. I got mine for $14.5k with heated seats and moved my newish tires and alloys over from the TDI. I'm averaging about 45 mpg on the highway, which is about 3-4 mpg better than my jsw. Pretty decent torque, but you feel the difference when the car is fully loaded. The sell back price and the gift cards covered the sale and all taxes. The Bosch check should cover my new trailer hitch. This was a quick deal because my JSW had multiple problems and barely drove. Thought I'd sell the 1.4 in a year or so, but rethinking that now as I like it.