Rust spot on a new/old 2015 TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
So a few cars in Southern Florida have some issues- big deal. Until I see evidence of a much larger problem, I see no reason to write them all off. I wonder if all of the cars with issues so far have a sunroof. I prefer no hole in the roof myself.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
So a few cars in Southern Florida have some issues- big deal. Until I see evidence of a much larger problem, I see no reason to write them all off. I wonder if all of the cars with issues so far have a sunroof. I prefer no hole in the roof myself.
[FONT=&quot]caveat emptor
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]let [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]buyer [/FONT][FONT=&quot]beware: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] principle [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]seller [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] product[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cannot be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]held [/FONT][FONT=&quot]responsible [/FONT][FONT=&quot]for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]its [/FONT][FONT=&quot]quality [/FONT][FONT=&quot]unless [/FONT][FONT=&quot]it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]guaranteed[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]warranty.[/FONT]

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Agree, I removed my deposit from an SE 6MT with LP, I saw a lot of other wagons without this issue, I saw a total of 3 only with the door handle rust spots. One of those 3 was sold yesterday :eek: the salesperson told me the estimate to fix the blue one is around 2K.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Bubbling paint means it's more than just a stain. It's real damage, and it requires a real repair - which includes taking the door handle off and repainting the area underneath it because that's where the rust is starting.
This is damage that will not be covered under the factory corrosion warranty, either. Those warranties don't kick in until the metal is perforated. So, it's either get this fixed as a condition of sale before taking delivery, or walk. Problem with getting it fixed is that a cheap-as-possible repair might make it look OK for a few months until the corrosion shows up again.
Good point concerning the sunroof versus the headliner ... those usually start with a blocked sunroof drain (from dust and leaves in the air).
Take-home: don't buy one of these cars sight-unseen ... a thorough in-person inspection is called for, and make fixing this a condition of sale and make sure the repair is fully covered under warranty that covers ALL corrosion, not just perforation like the factory warranty.
$5000 off MSRP is not looking like such a great deal any more.
Very good point about the rust warranty, but I was told since these cars are considered brand new, VW will cover all the work to get them ready.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
In writing?
No, but dealership pulled the said cars off the lot and straight into the paint shop.

These cars are sold by VW as NEW cars, they will do whatever it takes to bring the car to 100% new var condition and VW (not the dealership) is paying for it.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
No, but dealership pulled the said cars off the lot and straight into the paint shop.

These cars are sold by VW as NEW cars, they will do whatever it takes to bring the car to 100% new var condition and VW (not the dealership) is paying for it.

I will give credit to vw *trying to do* what ever it takes.

But, I for one do not think WAG can put genie back in the can, on anything equal, to a *factory paint job*.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know. For me a lot of the appeal of a new car is the premise that it has never seen any rust. But if it was fairly minor/superficial I'd consider it with a discount.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I don't know. For me a lot of the appeal of a new car is the premise that it has never seen any rust. But if it was fairly minor/superficial I'd consider it with a discount.
Real good discount on a very rare combo. I know they sent it to a body shop, have no idea how big of a repair it will be, the entire door might get painted.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In that case, I'd say why not. The rust spot in the photo looks fairly minor. Obviously it's a good idea to give the rest of the car extra close examination.