PS is going on sale...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Adding lubricity to fuel to prolong the life of critical components is not a bad idea. My 11mm pump has almost 700k on it. It had 150k on it when I bought it, I put 200K on it when it was in my 2000, and another 350k in my current car. I don't have any proof the PS helped, but it sure didn't hurt. And for $1 a full up, why not!

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
agree with wing nut on this
i add i every fill
i did on my alh
and still do on my bew and my 2013 cr 94000 km so far

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
While I do agree that additives probably won't hurt anything, since there's no proof out there it does anything it's more of a feel good thing... I used power service a couple of times in the beginning and then I figured what's the point, I don't see or feel any difference. If I felt like using additives I'd just throw in some shell v-power diesel once in a while or just buy a small bottle and toss it in here and there

Same thing goes for my civic or any other gasser... maybe once in a blue moon ill toss an additive or throw in 91+ octane for "cleaning" properties but it's still just a feel good thing in my opinion

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I add it more now than i ever did with the ALH. Just for the added lubricity and a HPFP. If my HPFP shreds, it's probably cheaper to get a different vehicle.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I sold my ALH with 620K kms and added NOTHING to the fuel. The fear of the internet scares people into using things that have no proven benefits. Why not take that $1/tank and donate it to the local food bank. They WILL benefit from it.

alhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd TDI
I feel more of a seat if the pants difference when I run TCW3 2 stroke oil at 200:1 than with silver bottle PS.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
Highly unlikely PS will prevent HPFP failure, it may slightly prolong HPFP life, but it can't be good for DPF.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I don't think it's beneficial to the TDIs in general. We don't tend to have injector or pump issues, and Canadian diesel fuel is in much better than US junk (which would prevent HPFP failures). My personal experience is over a whole bunch of different tdi's, some well maintained, many not until I got them, and i've never had a fuel related issue. We don't worry about it with the 2010.

When you get into the CR pickups, then you start getting into injector issues. The 03/04 Cummins injectors weren't designed for ULSD, so they always fail. The injectors in the LB7 Duramax (01-04) are also notoriously weak and they give trouble. Having owned both of those trucks (and had to do injectors on both), I always use some sort of additive in those. The Ford Powerstrokes (aside from being complete junk) suffer from stiction of the injectors so a proper additive is practically required.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
The Touareg forms has some horror stories about HPFP failures. From bad fuel, as you mentioned, to misfueling with RuG. Those repair costs are insane. Makes me miss the ALH, some days.