Buying 10 Gen 1 TDI's

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.
If you are a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories, you may provide a title or bill of sale in place of a registration.

Vehicle eligibility and owner eligibility. Non-VW off the hook for part of this, but I'm sure condition will play a large role in those cases.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.
If you are a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories, you may provide a title or bill of sale in place of a registration.

Vehicle eligibility and owner eligibility. Non-VW off the hook for part of this, but I'm sure condition will play a large role in those cases.
The way I read it is that only dealers can use title or bill of sale as proof. All private parties must register the vehicle in their name.

Am I wrong?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Owners whose Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle (i) cannot be driven under the power of its own 3.0-liter TDI engine or is in such a condition that it cannot be lawfully driven on public roads, or (ii) had a branded title of assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015;

"or" is the key difference.
Owners whose Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle (i) cannot be driven under the power of its own 3.0-liter TDI engine or is in such a condition that it cannot be lawfully driven on public roads, or

^^^ ^This is about vehicle condition, i.e. roadworthy. Not about being registered.

or (ii) had a branded title of assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015

^^^This means a vehicle that was totaled BEFORE 9/18/15 AND bought from a junkyard AFTER 9/18/15. BOTH must be met before the buyer is excluded.

There is no provision that requires the vehicle be registered in the "Current owners" name that I have seen.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
There is no provision that requires the vehicle be registered in the "Current owners" name that I have seen.
In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.

What supporting documents do I need to make a claim?

To start your claim, go to www.VWCourtSettlement.com and navigate to the Online Claims Portal, where you will be asked for your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and other information required to create a
claim. Starting no later than 15 business days after final approval of the Class Action Settlement, you will be able to submit a Claim. You will be required to submit supporting documentation to complete your
claim, which may include:

• Current vehicle registration (if applicable),
• Vehicle title (for owners with no lien),
• Lease contract (for lessees),
• Lender information and financial consent form (for loans and leases), and
• Driver’s license or other government-*issued photo identification.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I think you're right here, but it'd be much more helpful if you'd cite (or better yet, link to) your source.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you're right here, but it'd be much more helpful if you'd cite (or better yet, link to) your source.
I provided a registration for my Passat when registering, so it makes sense that it would be required. But, the verbiage I posted above doesn't indicate that it is a "requirement".

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
But, the verbiage I posted above doesn't indicate that it is a "requirement".
The most that shows is that there are some cases where registration isn't required, and we know that already--non-VW dealers only need a bill of sale. It doesn't answer the question of whether a non-dealer must have registered the car in their name before they can file a claim (with is a separate question from whether the car must be currently registered). I believe @drsven is correct, but it'd be nice to have a reference--it certainly looks like he's quoting from somewhere, but without a reference we can't be sure.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The most that shows is that there are some cases where registration isn't required, and we know that already--non-VW dealers only need a bill of sale. It doesn't answer the question of whether a non-dealer must have registered the car in their name before they can file a claim (with is a separate question from whether the car must be currently registered). I believe @drsven is correct, but it'd be nice to have a reference--it certainly looks like he's quoting from somewhere, but without a reference we can't be sure.
And that's where I would be contacting the Class Action attorneys if there is a separate set of rules for different people.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
But there are different rules for different people, and the 2-liter settlement was the same way. Dealers don't typically register their cars, unless they're used as loaners or something similar, so dealers don't have to submit registration documents. Non-dealer owners have to register (and in many, perhaps most, states, are required to do so by law anyway). I can't say for sure that this is the case under the 3-liter settlement, as a number of things are different, but it is for the 2-liter case.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

Interesting that it is in the FAQ, but I can't see anywhere in the actual settlement, or in any of the final official notices, that corroborate that the vehicle needs to be registered in the private party's name some time after Sept. 2015.

Click on FAQ -> Information -> My vehicle is not currently registered. Do I need a current reg.....
Interesting that it is indeed in the FAQ, but I can't see anywhere in the actual settlement, or in any of the final official notices that the judge signed off on, that corroborate that the vehicle needs to have been registered in the private party's name some time after Sept. 2015.

Does temporary registration or one-day permit count, like the one you get when purchasing a car from out of state?
Also curious on this.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
So, I did some more digging, and I found that, in spite of the 3.0 FAQ from the website having the same clause as the 2.0 website FAQ stating that it is necessary to have been the 'registered owner', the term 'registered owner' is conspicuously absent from the relevant clauses in the 3.0l agreement.

I'll quote and highlight the relevant clauses from the 2.0l and 3.0l settlement agreements:

2.0l Class Definition:

" 2.16. “Class” means, for purposes of this Class Action Settlement only, a nationwide class of all persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, held title to or held by bill of sale dated on or before September 18, 2015, a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle,” defined more fully in Section 2.33), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the Claim Period, become a registered owner of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, hold title to or hold by bill of sale dated after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Claims Period, an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories ..."

3.0l Class Definition:

"2.23. “Class” means, for purposes of this 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement only, a nationwide class, including Puerto Rico, of all persons (this includes individuals who are United States citizens, residents, United States military, diplomatic personnel and employees living or stationed overseas, as well as entities) who, (1) at any time between September 18, 2015 and November 2, 2015, inclusive, owned or leased a Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle,” defined more fully in Section 2.40); or who (2) between November 3, 2015 and the Claim Submission Deadline for Eligible Owners and Lessees, inclusive, become the owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories; or who (3) own an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories at the time of participation in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement Program. The Class includes Non-Authorized Dealers who otherwise meet the definition of the Class. ..."

2.0l Class Definition:

"2.30. “Eligible Owner” means the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the end of the Claim Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016, shall be an Eligible Lessee. A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle, provided that the Non-Volkswagen Dealer otherwise meets the definition of Eligible Owner."

3.0l Class Definition:

"2.39. “Eligible Owner” means the owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on September 18, 2015, or the owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Settlement Benefit Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit, Inc. or Porsche Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles) as of September 18, 2015 and/or November 2, 2015, and purchased that previously leased Eligible Vehicle off lease after January 31, 2017, shall be an Eligible Lessee."

I think that this was intentionally changed for the 3.0 agreement, and I am not sure that you need to be the "registered owner" with the 3.0 cars. Potentially just need to prove ownership (which, I think a title and bill of sale may).

Thoughts?

opsx

TDI
tdi
Sounds like if you arent a dealer you need to have registered the car after Sep18 if you want to be eligible. The car itself is eligible if it was ever registered between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16.

Hey I have a funny question: has anyone bought an eligible TDI from a VW dealership and turned it in? Any issues? I'm noticing a lot of 2009-14 TDIs on the market now from VW dealerships with some profit to be had (not much, but still). I thought VW dealerships were just turning them into VWGoA directly - not anymore?