VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Yes, I just had a coworker sign as the witness and sent it in electronically via VW portal ... got a response back within 4 hours that everything was done!

Waiting for my cheque...hopefully this week!
Thanks, just what I needed to hear :)

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Returned the car on Saturday morning. The guy handling the process was from a third party and from the US. Didn't know much more about the whole issue aside from what he had to process. Took about 30 min. Did a quick look around car and inside. Made us start it and verified VIN and mileage. At the end, my dad had to sign two forms and was presented with a cheque from VW. Pretty easy overall.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Got the 8 page package for our Wagon day before yesterday, signed, scanned and uploaded today. We are keeping the wagon.

For my Jetta buy back still no response even after I called day before yesterday and verified that all my documents are complete and no outstanding issues, I was told they'll put my file in priority que etc.

So here's a million dollar question, I have a fellow TDI lover who wants to buy my car since its a manual and there's none out there, his 2011 Jetta with 280k kms might need a new clutch and he wants it to be parked until his claim is processed and wants to buy mine and pick up next week. Which I would prefer to do instead of giving my baby to some accounting firm etc. BUT now that my claim is in process and the car is sold will I get the $7000 sorry money for my 2015 or perhaps a split of $3500 each between the new owner and I????

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Just received an email today with an eight page letter attached. Says I'm entitled to $ 3,500.00 in two payments. I'm keeping the Passat!
On page eight, where I have to sign it, it also requires a "witness"?
That can be anybody I assume? Doesn't have to be a legal beagle.
When all that's done I'll scan it and send it to them via the VW Portal site.
Seems faster than snail mail.

Are you saying that VW is only going to give you $7K for your 2015 Passat?

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes if anyone is opting to keep their car they only get damages payment in 2 installments $3500 with first fix and $3500 in 2018 when recalled for hardware that is second fix. In total $7000 as damages payment.

Buyback option is where the price of the car and $7000 on top of it.

And to my earlier post if I sell my Jetta now that is after Jan 4th 2017 I'm not eligible for any damages payment.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, just what I needed to hear :)
Yes anyone can sign as a witness, I signed for my wife's wagon and uploaded yesterday haven't heard back yet. Keep in mind he had his car software fix done before the claims process started. Our case is different so will take longer. Once all approved we will have to take our cars into the dealership for the fix where our cheques will be waiting. This is what my dealer is telling me, since they don't have the cheques they are not scheduling fix appointments.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I originally mailed my documents and didnt hear anything three weeks. Called and had them re-open my file in the portal so that I could upload my documents. This time had an offer letter within a few days. Signed (my father witnessed) and a few days later scheduled my appointment. Got a call from the dealership I am returning to the next business day. July 4 is my return date. I am tempted to wait until the new Tiguan comes out in case I would do a trade, but then if I total the car or something I imagine I will be SOL. So will return it just for peace of mind.

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI wagon highline
For the trade-in option, I've still got a loan amount of $4,600 that has to be paid by me when all is said and done. I'm guessing they're not going to deduct that from the fair market value trade-in credit and that I'm on the hook for it. I can't pay that amount so I'm thinking that just getting the full payout instead of the trade-sin option might me the way I should go?

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I originally mailed my documents and didnt hear anything three weeks. Called and had them re-open my file in the portal so that I could upload my documents. This time had an offer letter within a few days. Signed (my father witnessed) and a few days later scheduled my appointment. Got a call from the dealership I am returning to the next business day. July 4 is my return date. I am tempted to wait until the new Tiguan comes out in case I would do a trade, but then if I total the car or something I imagine I will be SOL. So will return it just for peace of mind.

I ve had all Green Check Marks on all my documents since the portal opened. I call at least once a week. I demand they tell me what the hold up is and they said everything is ok and that I just have to wait.

***?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For the trade-in option, I've still got a loan amount of $4,600 that has to be paid by me when all is said and done. I'm guessing they're not going to deduct that from the fair market value trade-in credit and that I'm on the hook for it. I can't pay that amount so I'm thinking that just getting the full payout instead of the trade-sin option might me the way I should go?
Most definitely. If the $4600 balance is a challenge financially, I wouldn't trade in for a new car and go even further into debt! You will pay so much in taxes again and lose so much on depreciation.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ve had all Green Check Marks on all my documents since the portal opened. I call at least once a week. I demand they tell me what the hold up is and they said everything is ok and that I just have to wait. ***?
Where do you find the portal that shows you "Green Check Marks" ???

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Step 15, all documents status shows as : Completed.I keep calling them but they all say same thing.
"Just wait"
Yeah, it says "Under review"
Thx

========================

They must have noticed me logging in, 12 minutes later I got this :

Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is being sent from an account that does not receive replies. For questions or other issues related to the Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-Litre TDI Emissions Settlement Program in Canada, please visit www.vwcanadasettlement.ca or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, add claims_noreply@tdiemission.ca to your address book

Last edited:

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Yeah, it says "Under review"
Thx

========================

They must have noticed me logging in, 12 minutes later I got this :

Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is being sent from an account that does not receive replies. For questions or other issues related to the Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-Litre TDI Emissions Settlement Program in Canada, please visit www.vwcanadasettlement.ca or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, add claims_noreply@tdiemission.ca to your address book
Ugh. Lucky you.

"We have reviewed all of your documents. Currently, your application contains all the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer."

This is all I have been reading since April 28, 2017

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ugh. Lucky you.

"We have reviewed all of your documents.
This is all I have been reading since April 28, 2017
Good luck in your quest.

An acquaintance has a 2013 Passat TDI, he has not heard anything from VW at all. At least I received some information in the mail sometime ago. But having said that, I have urged him to start the process on the Portal website since the deadline is September 17 I believe. Then again maybe they're trying to get rid of all the 2015 vehicles and then work backward. Just thinking.
This is the PDF booklet I sent him
It only goes back to 2012 automatics.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I just clicked on the Claims Portal this morning and there I was informed to contact my preferred dealer. Called them and was informed that I need to be contacted by a letter to make the appointment. But the man I spoke to is the claims person for vehicles being turned back in to VW and said he will call the claims people and get an acceleration process underway. He'll call me back shortly to let me know what's happening.

3pm Thursday: Just received a call that I am good to go and am now setting up an appointment with the dealer. Not too bad, less than 3 weeks for the whole process.

Taking the car in at 10 am this coming Monday morning. Then within 20 days get a cheque from VW.

Last edited:

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Process went Well

I have my trade in appointment scheduled for the 26th of the month. I thought the process worked fairly well for me. I have agreed to buy a 2013 Audi A4. I add a few $Ks to the deal and got a nice black on black premium A4 with only 36000km and it comes with new tires and fully service paid up to 72000km.

I was wondering what to do with my set of snow rims and tires? Would they fit the A4? Should I swap my nice factory rims and tires put the snows on and sell the nice rims?

Also I have a Vag cable and laptop to get rid of.

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG - Silver and 2012 Jetta 6mt Grey
Just heads up, if you opt for the buy out and then want to change to a trade in, you have to go through the entire process all over again.
I thought I wanted the buyout, got all approved, but then started really looking into the cars I thought I like and none compared to the new golf. So I am going in with a trade option now.

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
My 2010 went in on Tuesday, cheque was promptly handed over and I skipped out of the building. Into the T-Reg and drove directly to the BMW and Subaru lots for a look see.

No decisions as of yet, I still have 4 or 5 other cars and a motorcycle and an airplane and.... do I need another car???

Definitely ;)

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I just got my appointment for the return . will be 10 weeks start to finish. Had I known I would have padded the mileage a bit. Ran out of my allowable mileage almost a month ago. Car is parked.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
what was the process? I've got my car in the system...and now I'm waiting for what happens next. Looking forward to a new car as my JSW was a bit disappointing.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Once all the documents were received and approved it was just a waiting game.
They sent another email saying we were good to go. Went to the website and it took me to a calendar with available return dates and times. picked one, it sent me a confirmation email.
I'm still 2 weeks out from returning, don't want to go over the allowable mileage because it sounds like you have to start the whole process over if you do.

If it is going to the crusher, I would love to swap the engine out with my hi-mileage '09 that is not eligible because of salvage title.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Anyone returning their VW? I am looking for the rubber cap that goes over the high beam bulb cover.

Thanks

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Anyone returning their VW? I am looking for the rubber cap that goes over the high beam bulb cover.

Thanks

steveedub

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
Has anyone had to get their claim/offer re-assessed due to going over their allowed mileage?? I signed my offer a month ago now, by the time they allow me to make an appointment I will surely be over the mileage at this rate, I am JUST under it right now.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I'm in the same boat, been parked for a month already.
Ricepoint called me yesterday and said because it has taken so long they gave me 2000 on top of what I thought was supposed to be my final return mileage.
Least that's how I understood it. The lady wasn't totally clear.

Still don't trust her, if it wasn't for having to flip flop my insurance back and forth I would be driving my MK3 again. (because the clean diesels are bad for the environment)

Has anyone had to get their claim/offer re-assessed due to going over their allowed mileage?? I signed my offer a month ago now, by the time they allow me to make an appointment I will surely be over the mileage at this rate, I am JUST under it right now.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found the mileage bands to be very broad. For fun I entered my a hypothetical mileage 15 K above what mine was to see if it impacted my settlement - it didn't. So it seems the bands are pretty broad. I believe what matters is the mileage once they call you to confirm the appointment. Then you can not go above 2000km than what you report at the time of the phone call to when you bring your car in.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How long has it been before you got your payment for the 1st phase?
I had the 1stphase done on Monday, June 24th and haven't seen a cheque as yet.

Should I call the number on the website where you entered all the info to start this process???

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
How long has it been before you got your payment for the 1st phase?
What are these "phases" that you are talking about?

I have an "appointment" scheduled with Rice Point Administration at my local dealer for an inspection of my TDI. I am assuming that is the day I am dropping off my vehicle and getting my cheque.

I do not see the point of an inspection if that is not the day they are taking my TDI off my hands.