MK5 seats into a MK4?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Has anyone done it?

Is it possible?

I found some nice MK5 seats from a jetta and Ide like to swap out mine for these.....

Fronts or rears, both fit?

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta silver arrow GLS TDI
i have done it. the rear seats need a complete rework to fit in, but are the correct size and can be made to work. i think it would be easiest to take all the mounting points from a mkv and welded them into the mk4

the fronts can fit with a new bracket very easily (using the sliders that come on the seats.) mine are about 1" or so higher than the mk4 seats.
if you buy mk4 brackets from arizenracingsports they can be easily modified (add about 3-4 inches of length front to back to it)
I am still looking for a wiring diagram for the mk5 seats to hook up the heat and the drivers power recline function, if you come across one can you let me know?

I got mine from a golf i think (ebay purchase)... because my passenger seat folds flat to the front. really nice feature to put big stuff in from the trunk. or when working on the computer (vag com).. its like a desk :)

I would not attempt to get the airbags to work with tthe older cars.. i think you are asking for trouble if you do that. you can pop a resistor into the harness or disable the seat airbags with vag com.

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi Tmophoto

Interesting.......do you have any pics?

I am most interested in the front seats......it would also be easy to pick up leather rears online or something.

Thanks.....This sounds nice, because I really like the MK5 leather seats....they come with the better bolsters too.

I also found them for CHEAP!

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
mine were cheap as well 400 bucks shipped (leather heated power.. front and rears...)

I dont have any install pics or shots of the brackets before i bolted them on but i have a photo of the unmodified bracket and i can draw on that one to show you what i did. and measure the ones that i modified. its very easy.. and the seats slide back SOOOO far.. all the way to the rear seat so there is zero legroom back there, they slide forward to about the same as the mk4 seats.. (i am 6'3" so thats really nice..) the added height from the brackets is not a problem either still plenty of headroom.

the mk5 seats are way better... stiffer foam and much more of a bucket seat.

I ordered the resistors to trick the car (airbags and seat belt) they came in packs of 20... im me your address and I will send a set to you if you need it.

I just found out that my local library has all the chiltons manulas online so i am going to get a wiring diagram tonight so i can recline my seat... :)

t

Last edited:

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI

you can cut the bracket like this or fab up your own.. .i drilled holes in the corners and the mounting holes on the mkV seat slider mounting points lined right up (well not really... i measured a lot.. ) and i bolted them to the bracket with grade 8 hardware. then slid them in just like a stock seat and bolted the front to the front mounting points with more grade 8 bolts and then tightened down the rear bolts on the back of the bracket so it was was locked in place. they are in more solidly than the original seats.

I will measure the overall length of my bracket (i welded in about a 3-4" piece of angle iron in the middle section)

see if they can make a bracket with the exact length you need and no slots drilled for thier brackets.

give me a few hours and i will have some measurements for you

t

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tmophoto....Thanks so much for the info! This is quite helpful!

It is hard to tell what is what, It looks like the stock seats have two arms on the rear that slides on the sides, and one point in the middle/front of the seat that attaches to a center track. Im guessing that I cant see this because the frame pic you posted is not the whole seat frame assembly?

Any more pics you have would be awesome.....just to make sure that we are on the same page......ie fitting MK5 Jetta seats into a MK4 Jetta.

Welding is no problem for me......so modifying the bracketry is no biggie.

Thanks a ton!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm....I wonder if MK5 Golf seats are the same as MK5 Jetta seats......

Anyone know?

These are what I am looking at.......

Last edited:

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
no the brackets are what you are talking about (slide in the back and bolt to the front.

the mk5 seat has flat sliders on the bottom. these sliders are bolted to this bracket. then the whole seat and bracket are installed in the car exactly the same way you install a stock seat.

t

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, thats what I suspected.....

Hence the inch increase in heigth.....right?

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
they look the same as mine. can you take a shot of the underside of a front seat?

if i were you i would fab up the bracket myself.. i had to sell all my weldign equipment when i moved into my apartment.

the brackets are VERY simple... its jsut 1" angle iron welded into a square then the tabs that go to the seat rails.

it will cost you 30 bucks for both if you can do it yourself..

thomas

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
i plugged in the passenger side seatbelt plug and its throwing an error.. intermittent and incorrect voltage or something like that..

i think the only way to do it is with the resistors. I would still turn off the seat airbags with vag com even though the resistor is in place.

t

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These seats are some I found from an online seller....pry a junkyard....so I cant get pics of underneath......Im sure if they look the same on the top, they will be the same underneath.....

The metal fabrication part will be easy I think.

Very cool......I guess Ill just keep in touch and maybe youll let me know how your wiring adventures go?

Im excited....I was afraid that the seats would be too wide for the car or something..........

Do you have any interior pics?

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
i will get some right now.. give me a few min.

they fit perfectly its like they were made for the car.

t

Last edited:

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
ok here they are
t

the passenger seat will slide all the way back so it touches the rear seat

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm....its blank.

Edit: Not blank anymore!!!

Wow, those look sweet!!!

I cant help myself.....Im going to do it too!

Thanks a ton for the inspiration!

Last edited:

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
my car is a 2002 gls jetta. i swapped out the center console with a newer one that has cupholders it might be narrower but i dont know.

also need trim the rails on the seats a little in the back. i think if a passenger were to get in they would mess up shoes/ cut feet... I am also going to dip/spray/brush that rubber stuff for tool grip repair. it replaces a worn rubber grip on tools. they sell it in aerosol cans. was goign to grind all sharp corners down then rubberize them.

i have never had passengers in the backseats of my car so i am not that worried about it

t

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet the console is the same width.......My sis has an 04 Pd with that console and it looks the same to me...no biggie.

It sounds like the rear was the PITA more than the front........but I do really like the rear cupholder thing that comes out of the middle seat.......

Good idea on the cleaning of the edges and rubberizing.....sounds like a good idea.

Ill also be working hard to get the heated and power part working......us Southern Californians must have those heated seats in winter.....ha

And you say the seats are a lot better than the stock GLS ones too?

Cool.

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
yea i have not connected any of the electronics yet. you can see how upright the drivers side is.. (no manual recline... its power only) its rather uncomfortable to say the least.

i really need to connect the seatheaters.. it gets to 30 below in the winter where i am :)

they are a lot better than my old seats. my car only has about 54k miles on it, so they were not even worn out. the sides of the seats are much higher and more abrupt but not so high that they are "sport" or "racing" seats...

i really like em

t

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya, the ones Im getting is power drivers side too.......I wonder if it is as simple as connecting 12v power to it and pushing the button? Might work as a temporary solution....?

Hopefuly mine will turn out as nice.....

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
i sort of tried that.. but it was dark and i needed to go out to dinner.. didnt work.. need to really try that tomorrow.
here is the stuff you will need to fabricate for the back seats. you need to pretty much cut everythign out that holds the existing seats in. its a serious project.
t
this is the center support for the folding rear seats part #1.

this is the black piece that holds the seats in place and screws into part #1.

ths is a pin that slides into the sides of the rear seats closest to the door

this is a hook that hooks onto the lower portion of the seat (the bench part) these dont fold forward like the mk4 seats. the bench stays flat all the time. you can see this part in the photo above. I think it might be for a carseat or something.

and you need to make or move the hooks that go on the top of the seats (where the latch is) i would not weld anythg to that sheet metal there (I cannot imagine its very strong), weld to the existing one or weld it to the frame. cut the sheet metal away, weld in the hook and then weld the sheet metal back in place, paint etc.. :)

Last edited:

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
tomo366 said:
Not even close.....
hehe... tdi engines dont fit into toyota tacomas either.. but I will have one sooner than later.

someone told me it could never be done as well.. i didnt listen and it was not any harder than putting any aftermarket seat in.

t

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm....maybe Ill just do the fronts and stick with stock leathers for the rear.........sounds like the rears are a big deal.

Ill keep this thread posted as things progress.....

Thanks agian

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
tmophoto said:
hehe... tdi engines dont fit into toyota tacomas either.. but I will have one sooner than later.

someone told me it could never be done as well.. i didnt listen and it was not any harder than putting any aftermarket seat in.

t
Wow......Looks like a lot of work to me......
Hey Knock your socks off.....I would even consider it.:eek:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I ordered the seats today....

380 shipped for light grey heated leather power fronts and leather rears. They look like new. I could never come close to finding anything like this for the car otherwise at this price....everything was spensive.....like double!

I should have it all by early next week.

tmophoto....one more question......how does the rear seats fold now? Do the tops just fold down?

Tx!

Justler

Veteran Member
I'd love to swap in some seats from the GTI... those are the nice ones... aggressive bolsters that hold you tight.

If you can weld it, you can swap it =P