RMT 300 install. What all do I need and wheres the cheapest to get it?

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi all! I had some previous threads about deciding on which radio but now I am firmly set on retrofitting my 2006 Jetta TDI with an RMT 300. Its looking like Ebay is the cheapest method of getting the radio but what all connectors will I need? And what are the cheapest places for them? I know Deutscheworks carries plug and plays (Im not sure if this includes the antenna adapter) but they seem awfully proud of them. Would a plug and play wiring harness and antenna adapter be all I need? I do not have steering wheel controls and the man feature I am after gaining is Bluetooth so I can play music using my iphone.

Thanks for any help!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Amazon has the RMT300 with harness, but how can I persuade you to look at other alternatives?

I also pondered the RMT300, but it seems like the wiring can be a nightmare and you could still end up with battery drain issues.

At the end I got a chinese VW 6RD 035 187A (RCD330) off ebay. Wiring is plug and play, you won't need another harness. If what you want is Bluetooth music then you will be very happy with is route. You will need the head unit and a 7N0 907 530 Can Bus Gateway. Then you also need VCDS to properly code the Can Bus Gateway.

I recently finished the install since I got the wrong updated Can Bus gateway. I am extremely happy with the radio. One thing that doesn't work very well is the AM band since I think Chinese AM has different stepping, but I don't care about AM radio.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I should clarify the main thing I'm after is a way to play music from my phone no matter the method whether its via Bluetooth or a wired connection. It looks like the unit you linked also allows for hands free calling as well which makes it VERY tempting. have there been any quality issues with these models?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
No issues here, but only installed for about 1 month. No humming on audio via BT, like some people complain for the VW approved retrofit for mk4 cars.

I haven't tested the SD card slot yet either.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just to be sure though- the existing harness within the car will plug directly into the back of this unit without issue? No splicing or switching pins or anything like that?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing. Plug and Play

Although I have to say that my 2006 was package 0 with other options, meaning it had the most basic radio for that era: single CD player, no steering wheel controls, no SAT radio, no amplifier, no full size MFD.

But, if you have the square connector in the back of your current head unit, and the antenna connector is a single or dual plug, it will work perfect.
The new radio will come with an antenna adapter (2 plugs to 1) and backup camera connector.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Just wanted to add another option here in case anybody else is searching...the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845. I just installed one last night.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_023BP...ml?search=blaupunkt_philadelphia_845&skipvs=T

I'm not sure how it compares in price with the other radios, but it comes with everything required to install, and install is plug and play right out of the box.

My main requirement was the same as the OP's...Bluetooth connectivity. I didn't really need anything too fancy, but I thought this one was OK for the price...and Crutchfield has been super to deal with on previous purchases.

Bluetooth handsfree calling works well, as does music/podcast streaming. I haven't used the GPS much yet, but it seems to work fine. I didn't find the menus and different sections in the unit all that intuitive to use in the beginning, but now, a day later, I've got it all figured out (mostly).

Just another unit to add to the list for anybody looking for a fitted Mk5 radio. I didn't find much info on it in my searches before I ordered it.