TDI Heater (VW approved)

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
I have limited numbers of TDI inline heaters (Original VW Approved) VW sells these heaters in Europe as OEM and now they start to sell them in Canada.

It is rated at 550W. Small unit fits without problem. No need to buy extra hoses.

Best of all they are made by Calix AB a Swedish company (Made in Sweden).

Please note: It is not recommended to leave heater on for more than 3 hours. Calix is not responsible for any damage caused by improper installation or prolonged usage of this unit. (Lawyer's talk) Use a Timer.

Price: $169 plus applicable taxes

http://www.precisiontuning.ca/vortex/tdiheater.jpg

http://www.precisiontuning.ca/vortex/tdiheater.jpg

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
That's a tad bit on the expensive side, I know it's alot more OEM then the CT heater, but for that price, use TDI guys are a little more fruggle, LOL

or atleast I am.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Yeah, but frugal and VW dealership don't match at all. Whether it's 1400 for the TB job, 1100 for brakes, a couple grand for wheels and tires, there's always better ways to spend your money then at the dealer *and it's probably 800 to 900 installed at the dealership, too. But then, some people take their time, read all they can, and consider every option available, while some people will just buy their computers from Futureshop, right?

I'm more concerned about that 550 watt rating- doesn't seem all that high, when you consider that a lot of people run 1500s in their cars with seemingly no ill effects.

edit
======
But PT, thanks loads for getting more product to us, your efforts are appreciated.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Looks like a very clean and easy install though. Snip, glug glug glug, #@%!, trip to the dealer for some more coolant and you're set. Not that the Zerostart isn't much harder, but still.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Niice. I like my frost heater. But I'm also a stickler for keeping things 100% OEM. I try to avoid cutting wires when possible no splices what ever.

Looks clean.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it is a nice piece, I agree and would probably buy it for 100 even, not 169 WO/T.

550 watt isn't that big of deal, just means it takes longer to do the same job.

Like PT said they suggest 3 hours, whereas the zerostart take 1 from what I've heard.

1500 compared to 550 makes sense it would take about 3 hour to heat up.

the wattage rating is just a power rating nothing more. I think this unit would be nice.

Maybe PT could give a member a special price to buy and he/she could chat it up, hint, hint, wink, wink, LOL

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
What you have to realize is that this is a quality item. Some people are willing to spend more money on an item that is made in Europe.

Unfortunately I can not go lower on the price. It is a VW OEM item. I think dealer price is $260

Gringo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 09, CR TDI
This is the exact unit they gave me in the warranty replacement of the oil pan heater that almost caught on fire 2 years ago. Easy install, came with good instruction. I could swear mine is rated 650w but maybe i am getting too old... Mine is typically plugged in for no more than 3 hours and it does a great job at -30*C. OK, i don't have instant warm air coming out of the blower, but it does not take long after I leave home. I don't regreat it at all.

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
My bad, cheers on a great item

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Nice...after not having one for 7 years...damm scottish blood...Still, I only had a problem once in Quebec, and it was -35....a trouble light over the fuel filter, and charger on for 1/2 an hour, and I was off...I agree with the power stuff, all you have to do is keep the heavy frost out of the engine.

Craig

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Precisiontuning said:
What you have to realize is that this is a quality item. Some people are willing to spend more money on an item that is made in Europe.

Unfortunately I can not go lower on the price. It is a VW OEM item. I think dealer price is $260
Nobody was saying anything about quality:price PT. Yours are OE quality, they're available, and they're from a source that most of us would rather give our money to than a stealership for less money (and I'd bet that the dealers would charge a boatload more with install, which they'll always try to push on you).

Personally, I think it's awesome that you make so much stuff available to us. Options rule.

Know what'd be great? A "Should've come with the car" package, i.e. a skidplate, a scangauge, a coolant heater and oil pan heater wired up to the same plug, a vag-com, and a bentley manual all in one... Maybe a "Mod Stage 1.5+ Prep Package" including boost and pyro with senders and a column or pillar pod, a clutch, and a boostvalve--- packages for multiple products that almost everyone wants and are sort of related.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Any product can have issues. Im sure there are tens of thousands of these heaters out there, with minimal issues. There is no such thing as a perfect product.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I have had this heater on my car for two winters now without any issues. I don't think that the lower wattage of certain heaters is much of a concern. In fact, the wattage for this heater is about standard I believe. It certainly isn't any different than the wattage drawn by the block heater on my old mustang which was a more massive motor. I believe these heaters are designed to accommodate two of them on a single standard house hold circut.

Judging by the how the motor responds at startup, e\Even when it is in the -30's, this heater keeps the motor at a temperature above what it would be if it was parked overnight in the summer.

The only advantage of a higher amperage heater is that a motor would be warmed up faster in the event you unexpectantly needed the car on a cold day. Theoretically, by using a timer properly, a higher amperage heater would consume less electricity to warm up a motor because it would not have to be drawing electricity for very many hours. However, this would not be true if one was using the heater for anything more that a few hours.

By the way, when my heater was installed by the dealership, they did as part of their installation procedure a reflash of the engine's computer software. They said that without the flash, the computer could get confused with contradictory information that the motor is warm but the oil is cold. However, I have not seen any reports of any problems as a result of diy installations of heaters.

In the end, the most important thing of all is that if you live in a cold climate, the engine starts up at a temperature similar to what it would experience during the summer. If that means you hold a candle at the bottom of the oil pan all night, then so be it.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
I've also had this heater in my car for a couple years now and quite pleased with it, if the car is plugged in for atleast 2 hours the car starts no prob, not that i've had to use it much this year since replacing GP and battery

I know it's a bit more money, but it is really easy to install and takes up barely any room under the hood