0W-30 VW 507.00 Oil Hitting the Market

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Is this an oil targeted directly for Diesels or is it aimed at any "European" car?

If it's the latter, please try to learn more about lubrication. The additive package in diesel oils is designed to better encapsulate higher levels of soot.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Read the whole thread. It is the only 0W30 507.00 rated oil. (But of course can be used in any engine spec'd for a 5W30).

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Is this an oil targeted directly for Diesels or is it aimed at any "European" car?

If it's the latter, please try to learn more about lubrication. The additive package in diesel oils is designed to better encapsulate higher levels of soot.
Your information source is out of date and does not apply to European oils.

So...how do you explain the dual-purpose of Euro oils? These are not diesel truck oils (but even they are also rated API SM or SN, or other gas specification)

Notice how 507.00 is paired with 504.00. And 505.00 and 505.01 with 502.00. MB 229.3, 229.31, 229.5, 229.51.. BMW LL01 and LL04...all dual-purpose oils. ACEA A and B series, and the "new" C series.

Data sheets and specifications even state this.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I just spoke with a CDN rep. and this oil's availability is now delayed until mid July. I am now not hopeful we will see it even then.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Your information source is out of date and does not apply to European oils.

So...how do you explain the dual-purpose of Euro oils? These are not diesel truck oils (but even they are also rated API SM or SN, or other gas specification)

Notice how 507.00 is paired with 504.00. And 505.00 and 505.01 with 502.00. MB 229.3, 229.31, 229.5, 229.51.. BMW LL01 and LL04...all dual-purpose oils. ACEA A and B series, and the "new" C series.

Data sheets and specifications even state this.
Dual purpose aye? So given that there is a known quantity within a container, what was the compromise compared to a dedicated product?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Dual purpose aye? So given that there is a known quantity within a container, what was the compromise compared to a dedicated product?
Slight difference in fuel economy. For those gas engines that specify ILSAC rated oils, I have yet to see ILSAC ratings on an HDEO or Euro oil (since ILSAC don't apply in those applications).

So, in short, other than being a bit thicker and having more additives than ILSAC specifies, For HDEO or Euro oils that are also API SL/SM/SN rated (or additionally VW/BMW/MB/ACEA gas rated), there's no protection or performance issue. Some prefer it in their gas engines.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I read on one of the mercedes forums that mobil 1 formula m esp (mb 229.51) should not be used in american gasoline motors. Something about the ethanol or mtbe in our gas reacting with the oil formulation and causing slime formation in the engine. They say to use the formula m non-esp. I personally run cj4 oils in almost all of my gas and diesel equipment. CJ4 oils are also very popular among motorcycle owners.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I read on one of the mercedes forums that mobil 1 formula m esp (mb 229.51) should not be used in american gasoline motors. Something about the ethanol or mtbe in our gas reacting with the oil formulation and causing slime formation in the engine. They say to use the formula m non-esp. I personally run cj4 oils in almost all of my gas and diesel equipment. CJ4 oils are also very popular among motorcycle owners.
Please link the MB forum information to us here. I for one am all ears. mtbe is no longer used in our gas. SLIME formation?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please link the MB forum information to us here. I for one am all ears. mtbe is no longer used in our gas. SLIME formation?
I will dig around and see if I can find the thread. I did a little research into the formula m esp before I decided to switch over to it several years ago. Good to know mtbe is no longer used. Nasty stuff. It's worth noting that the formula m esp is not API sm, sn, or sl certified for use in gasoline engines. I think the non esp version does carry those certifications. And yes, I remember slime formation mentioned as a possible consequence of using the esp in a gas motor.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
And yes, I remember slime formation mentioned as a possible consequence of using the esp in a gas motor.
Please define "slime" and what chemical interaction creates said slime. I worked in industrial coolants and lubricants in a former life and we may have called a condition caused by unstable chemistry slime but we always found out what caused it and quantified the reaction before condemning the oil or coolant.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I realize that slime is not really a highly technical term. Just what the mercedes folks were calling it. Maybe gelatinous deposits would better suit the vw tdi crowd. From what I recall, something in the esp formulation reacted with the ethanol in our gasoline creating goop. Feel free to google it, links may or may not materialize. I've been busy lately pulling the dana 50 and 7.3 from my truck.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I realize that slime is not really a highly technical term. Just what the mercedes folks were calling it. Maybe gelatinous deposits would better suit the vw tdi crowd. From what I recall, something in the esp formulation reacted with the ethanol in our gasoline creating goop. Feel free to google it, links may or may not materialize. I've been busy lately pulling the dana 50 and 7.3 from my truck.
What I was asking was what is it? slime goop and what was the chemical reaction between the chemistry and alcohol in the fuel be it ethanol or mbte.
that caused the MB folks in a forum (just like this one) to condemn a factory certified lubricant. I'm sorry if your to busy.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, the thread was actually on the bob is the oil guy forum. And snot, not slime, was the descriptor. Apparently the acidic and corrosive nature of our moisture , sulfur, and ethanol laden gasoline in the U.S. is too much for the relatively weak additive package of the 229.51 oil. The 229.5 oils (non esp formula m) have a more robust additive package specifically for gasoline motors. The mobil 1 0w-40 has an even stouter add. pack, and is a true dual purpose oil.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
UPDATE:
I took delivery this morning of a case of six 1 qrt bottles of this PLATINUM EURO LX 0W30.

(Of course it is expensive as I paid $10.68 cdn per bottle + taxes).
My concern is that nowhere on the labeling does it say it is 507.00 approved only that it exceeds the requirements of 504.00/507.00 :confused::

I had visions of using this oil for our 2015 GSW but not until I see documentation showing official approval.
(I am confused i.e. in NAmerica is this Pennzoil EURO LX equivalent to the Shell Helix 0W30?)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From another forum, if this helps:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657990&page=63

"
Originally Posted by GenaFishbeck
Hi gpshumway - We only suggested a PM for a more direct response, but we're happy to post answers to the open forum for any questions you'd like to ask!

That being said, you are correct! The specifications between the two oils did change a bit. In fact, when the Ultra Euro L 5W30 was replaced by the Platinum Euro L, the formulation changed as well. So, the specifications will not line-up exactly between the two products. For example, the VW 504/507 specification that you mentioned is now met with a different Pennzoil, which is Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. And yes, even though it is a 0W-30 rather than a 5W-30, we do have a letter from Volkswagon specifically stating that Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 meets their 504/507 specification. So, if you need an oil that meets the 504/507 VW specification, you would be good-to-go with the Platinum Euro LX 0W30 product!

As far as availability is concerned – the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 should be hitting shelves any day now, we were targeted for May 2015! - The Pennzoil Team"

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
From another forum, if this helps:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657990&page=63
For example, the VW 504/507 specification that you mentioned is now met with a different Pennzoil, which is Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. And yes, even though it is a 0W-30 rather than a 5W-30, we do have a letter from Volkswagon specifically stating that Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 meets their 504/507 specification. So, if you need an oil that meets the 504/507 VW specification, you would be good-to-go with the Platinum Euro LX 0W30 product!
Thanks for this Lightflyer. So just asking...are you confident the VW will accept i.e. for warranty purposes, the use of PP EURO LX 0W30 in an engine requiring a 507.00 approved oil?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thanks for this Lightflyer. So just asking...are you confident the VW will accept i.e. for warranty purposes, the use of PP EURO LX 0W30 in an engine requiring a 507.00 approved oil?
As the oil does not have an official VW 504/507 certification just a Pennzoil meets or exceeds wording the warranty would fall on Pennzoil not VW. Try and take that one to the bank if there ever was an oil related failure. Just food for thought, as an oil related warranty failure would be very slim from using this oil.

Last edited:

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Easy to get around -- just take car to VW dealer, get an oil change, then run home and empty the engine and fill with your oil.

You'd have all docs. Or go buy official oil for everytime you do oil change, keep receipt, and toss oil in trash or sell on e*bay/fleamarket/keep for VW TDI swap meet/etc

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Easy to get around -- just take car to VW dealer, get an oil change, then run home and empty the engine and fill with your oil.

You'd have all docs. Or go buy official oil for everytime you do oil change, keep receipt, and toss oil in trash or sell on e*bay/fleamarket/keep for VW TDI swap meet/etc
Great advice.........lie, cheat, steal. Why not just run Pennzoil 5W-30 504/507 approved oil? The base stock is all the same.. I do not believe the 0W-30 will make any difference in the long haul and you car will start just fine in cold temps. Everybody is lookin' for that special oil that will make their car last forever. But to each his own motor on;)

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Great advice.........lie, cheat, steal. Why not just run Pennzoil 5W-30 504/507 approved oil? The base stock is all the same.. I do not believe the 0W-30 will make any difference in the long haul and you car will start just fine in cold temps. Everybody is lookin' for that special oil that will make their car last forever. But to each his own motor on;)

But the bottle says it will keep your pistons 45% cleaner!! So it's got to be better right?!?! ;)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
But the bottle says it will keep your pistons 45% cleaner!! So it's got to be better right?!?! ;)
Kevin,
BTW I'm one of your clients.I'm the guy that has newer cars and brings his dog with him so we don't see each other very often
We haven't heard from you for a while but, I agree! Exactly what the label sez and what you actually get is marketing. All I can say and this is strictly opinion. Stick with 504/507 certified oil if you are that concerned about warranty. Now with that being said Rotella T6 has proven to be as good as or superior to VW certified oils in older TDI's. To the OP here is how I feel. New oil ...new car... warranty concerns, I can give no better advice than to stick with what VW approves. Sleep well at night and don't worry about the promised land.;)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have little to no knowledge of these things, just posted a quote. Contact the guy from Penzzoil or the company itself and ask for a copy of the letter. Make your decision then. I just take my car to the local trusted mechanic and have it serviced. I don't really worry about these things.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I have seen this TDS for this oil Lee. I see 504/507 is listed under SPECIFICATIONS, APPROVALS and RECOMMENDATIONS. The question is...is that listing of 504/507 an actual APPROVAL (by VW) or just a RECOMMENDATION by Pennzoil?

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
As the oil does not have an official VW 504/507 certification just a Pennzoil meets or exceeds wording the warranty would fall on Pennzoil not VW.
It would appear that this document supersedes the (not currrent) label on the bottle.

Last edited: