Purchased 05 Passat Wagon should I purchased Le

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
I just put my money down to Order a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon. Cost 26,800.00. But I have until Monday to add Leather Package with Multifuctional steering wheel. That would be an extra $1,000.00. IS IT WORTH IT? All I would like is the Multifunction Steering wheel. The leatherette looks great. The car will be Black with Gray Leatherette. It will take three months to get it. CAN I PURCHASE the Multifunction steering wheel later from a junker and add it? And last question WAS IT A GOOD PRICE?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Cost 26,800.00. And last question WAS IT A GOOD PRICE?

What is MSRP for the car? What did you agree to pay? That's all that matters.

("Cost 26,800.00" doesn't mean a heck of a lot)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
In order to get Multifunction Wheel you have to get the Leather Package......The Multifunction wheel can be installed later but! Very Expensive Time consuming and not for the faint of heart

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I enjoy my wheel and leather, $1000? Well probably not worth that, but the leather is better for keeping dog hair at bay, and I like having the controls on the wheel so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel for cruse up or down. It was and will be my only new car so I decided go for it.

Sam '02 Wagon

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
From what I am seeing, I think you did OK...there are rumors that a dealership in the Milwaukee area is selling these at invoice, but I have yet to track them down...I would definitely go with the leather and the controls you get with it...

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
There is nothing quite like REAL leather as it wears like iron.

If you can swing the extra $$, go for it.

I bought my first car with a leather interior in 1992 and have insisted on it since then on all my vehicles.

Regards,

Steve

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I enjoy my wheel and leather, $1000? Well probably not worth that, but the leather is better for keeping dog hair at bay, and I like having the controls on the wheel so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel for cruse up or down. It was and will be my only new car so I decided go for it.

Sam '02 Wagon
Is it a full moon again Sam? (sound of werewolf in the background)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, I have the multifunction wheel and leather in our Jetta, and the leatherette and non-mfw in the Passat.

The leather smells good. The cruise control on the wheel is nice to have. But for an extra $1k? Not sure it's worth it.

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks All. The 26,800.00 is the final price. I am in the Military and Stationed in Ge. I will not pay tax on the car until I return to the states in two years. My other car is an 2001 GLS Jetta TDI with no leather or Multi wheel. The wheel would be nice. But that is all. Over here Passats are far more popular then Jetta's (Boro). The TDI Passats Wagon are considered very durable and used alot by taxi's and salesman. The dealer here has told me that we can no longer order the sedans, only wagans. And it will still take three months. A another person I met who purchased the same Passat TDI (US Spec) stated he has max out speed on the autobahn at 127 MPH and it rode steady. My Jetta maxed at 119 MPH and was not very stable. Cannot wait to get the Passat.

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey
Good choice. You'll love the Passat variant. I like it more than any other vehicle I have owned.

RavenTwoTDI

TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI
Get it fully loaded, I take it your going through Autoexchange? I did as well (stationed in Belgium). I enjoy the leather and heated seats. The TDI seems to run better on the diesel over here than what I read about on this forum about the diesel in the states. Hope you enjoy the vehicle.

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
I bought a 2005 passat tdi with wood -leather GLS today.it cost me $27,799 tax and everything included and monster mats.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Congratulations on a fine automobile purchase (not that I am biased)! Need to post some pictures over in the Passat picture forum!!!

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
It was a nice experience because I was ready to do battle with them. When I got to the door all the sales people greeted me like they needed a sale,they said that this is a good day to buy a car,I said me know.I learned a lot from this club. I got the variant but not the color I wanted but so what? its the booty not the beauty

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
If you saw me, you'd think werewolf on the face, Cousin Fester is starting on the top.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Re: Purchased 05 Passat Wagon should I purchased L

Is the leather worth $1K? IMHO, yes. As mentioned it wears like iron, how will that "leatherette" (vinyl) look in 4+ years? Also, leather adds a nice chunk to the re-sale value so you get some of it back. I'd pass on the multi-function wheel, but it comes with the leather...so....

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feed back. My final price of 26,800 will include 17 inch wheels. After looking at a Passat with Leather Package I think I can get a better looking after market wood trim. I did on my Jetta. The Leatherette looks better then the leather and the Multi Fuct wheel is not worth it. Lat question do you think the Passat wagan will be hard to sell compared to the sedan after five + years. Wagons are popular over here but not in states.
Thanks for everything.

tdi1

I have owned Mercedes diesels in the past and I can tell you from that experience that the leatherette interior will likey hold up better as the years go by. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth

houstondriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI
I have leatherette in my 2005 Passat but was dead set on getting leather before I bought since I swore years ago never to have "vinyl" seats again. But, to get the options/colors I wanted I had to settle for the leatherette.

I'm glad I did. It is actually cooler that leather I've experienced before, even the VW leather when I was test driving. I've experienced 90 degree weather with it so I'm sure of my conclusion (must be due to the perferations). Plus, people have commented on how nice my leather seats look, wishing their non-VW cars looked as good
Nobody knows unless I tell them its not leather. One person still thinks I'm lying. I can tell the difference since I'm in the car every day, but it is not a bad difference IMO.

I would not be disappointed if I did have leather, but am surprisingly happy and content with my leatherette, FWIW.

sactotdi

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon Shadow Blue
I never had leather and always wanted it so I went straight for it. Never tried the leatherette. Word is that it's very nice. As far as the steering wheel, I find it extremely convenient. I went from a 1991 Jetta to this car so I think all the features are amazing.

One thing to consider is re-sale. In shopping for my car, I noticed the used Passat TDI's with more options command more dollars because there aren't that many for sale.

Best of luck!