Nashua NH TDI-ers: Sunoco at Exit 7 to have Diesel

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The Sunoco station on Amherst St at Exit 7 off the FE Everett Turnpike will have Sunoco brand Diesel in a few weeks. Heavy equipment is there now, digging up the ground to to put in a Diesel tank. Has anybody had good/bad/ugly experiences with Sunoco-brand Diesel?

I had my TDI inspected (NH state inspection) this past August at this station. During casual conversation with people there, I mentioned that too bad they didn't have Diesel, otherwise I'd consider fueling up there. They said they were in the process of getting Diesel and would have it by early October. I said "Cool!" and made a mental note of it.

Within the last few days, heavy equipment has been there digging up the ground to put in a Diesel tank. There are new placeholders on the Sunoco sign for Diesel prices. No price is listed yet.

Tonight I was in the neighborhood picking up my G/F from work nearby and I stopped in at the Sunoco station. I asked the attendant if they were getting Diesel and how long it would be before they had it. He said YES they're getting Diesel and they expect to have it in a few weeks. The attendant also said that it's Sunoco brand fuel, not an off-brand, etc. I said I'd give it a try when it's available.

Anybody had any good/bad/ugly experiences with Sunoco brand Diesel fuel?

~ n1das

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Hi David, I've been filling up at a Sunoco station almost exclusivly since I got my Golf back in March and haven't had a problem with it.
As I'm just south of the NH/MA border - near Kimballs - so its probably the same stuff you'll be getting.

n1das

TDI
10/30/03 Update: The Diesel tank is installed, and a new Diesel pump sits above the tank, on a fresh slab of concrete. It doesn't appear to be up and running yet. There are traffic cones blocking off the area. The construction appears to be complete. Also, there are empty placeholders on the Sunoco sign for the Diesel price.

I'll post an update after it's up and running and I've managed to try a tank of Sunoco Diesel.

~ n1das

n1das

TDI
11/2/03 Update: Sunoco Diesel at Exit 7 up and running as of 10/31/03!

The Sunoco Diesel price $1.519/gallon (US). All of the competition nearby Exit 7 is around $1.549/gallon.

~ n1das

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
cool, thanks, i had not noticed it... lately my favorite diesel stop is the shell station on the other side of evt-tpk from that sunoco. supposedly the shell premium diesel has some cetane-boost in it... what about the sunoco?
i filled with exit-11-exxon diesel today, after many tanks of shell premium...

just passed 20k mile mark, gotta go get the 3rd oil change. i think i'm gonna have the valvoline/greased-monkeys place on 101A have a shot at it, after i verify that their 5W40 synthetic exactly matches what the manual calls for...
(i think i'm going to skip the fuel filter replacement even though it is called for at the 20k service! LIVING ON THE EDGE! or maybe the valvoline/greased-monkeys dudes can
replace the fuel filter too...)

Frankenwagen

Veteran Member
Looks like Mobil has some direct competition across the street. Lateley, I have been going to the Mobil and noticed there was some digging going on the last time i filled there. I don't know why Mobil prices vary so much from station to station. I live a few blocks from the E. Hollis St. Mobil and it is always higher than the one at exit 7. If I don't feel like driving to exit 7, I end up going to E. Hollis for the convenience factor, espescially when I am running late to get somewhere and need fuel.

I was going to the Sunoco at exit 6 for a few fillups. Those fillups gave me about the same mileage as any of the other crud that is available. I have not had any short term problems with the fuel.

pulse_ox

TDI
2010 JSW
I have been filing up in Hollis with Sunoco. My fillup last week has been a bit on the smelly side on start up. Outside of that no problems. I like the Mobil next to Wal-Mart in Amherst, Good price, Good performance.

jtroyce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI (sold)
[ QUOTE ]
lately my favorite diesel stop is the shell station on the other side of evt-tpk from that sunoco. supposedly the shell premium diesel has some cetane-boost in it... what about the sunoco?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that Shell station too. I've been using their fuel since mid-June and I've noticed about a 2-3 MPG increase over what I was using (mostly Diesel One from Haffner's). I don't think my driving habits have changed significantly either.

Last time I checked, Sunoco's minimum cetane for diesel was 42--2 points higher than most others minimum (Mobil, etc.). The only place I know that has higher than 42 and claims it is the Hess in Manchester on QCB.

In the past, I've used Sunoco fuel and it's run well. The only place I will never buy Sunoco again is the one in Bedford, MA--last year a tank from that placed gelled up in my fuel filter and left me stranded on the ET by Exit 5. I think it cost me about $150 between towing and a new fuel filter. Stay away from that place.

characterzero

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2003 galactic blue
that shell had some sweet prices a while ago. they steadily increased their prices there though, so i stopped going. good to see some competition though...if only they'd make it b20.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
jtroyce, thanks for that warning about the bedford MA sunoco... i've had to use that one before as a last resort
when the tank was running dry before i headed north. a good alternative around there might be "Gammys" , near
the 225/rt-4 fork near the volksy dealer.

do you happen to remember which month that gelling happened with the bedford ma sunoco fuel? i'm wondering if you got the tail-end of summer fuel in early winter, or are they so slack that they didn't have winterized fuel in feburary for example?

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
fwiw, valvoline on 101a in nashua (used to be "greased lightning") has the oil filters for A4 TDIs. they just did my 30k oil change for $25 - i supplied them with shell rotella T 5W40 from walmart, $12 a gallon.

they showed me their "premium blue 5W40" which did have the CH-4 or CI-4 rating - seemed to have the same ratings as the shell rotella T - but i had them use the shell rotella T instead of their "premium blue". they did not have the synpower 5W40 available...

/e

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I filled my first 5 tanks from Bedford-MA Sunoco. Did not have any problems. Just before the extreme colds in December, I switched to Mobil on Route 128. The first thing I noticed with Mobil fuel was slight increase in the engine power compared to Sunoco fuel. Later I also found that the mileage improved as well. My only problem with the 128 Mobil station is that the nozzle always foams and spills. Always! /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

I'm glad I did not continue filling from Sunoco during cold weather, I could have had the gelling problems as well. [ QUOTE ]
In the past, I've used Sunoco fuel and it's run well. The only place I will never buy Sunoco again is the one in Bedford, MA--last year a tank from that placed gelled up in my fuel filter and left me stranded on the ET by Exit 5. I think it cost me about $150 between towing and a new fuel filter. Stay away from that place.

[/ QUOTE ]