Vibration In Steering Wheel.

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Hey guys like title says, I have a vibration in the steering wheel as soon I start driving or after 20 km/h. I went to the mechanic the other day and he test drove the car too but he couldn't figure out what it was.

He ruled it out to be a tranny mount but when the car is in neutral, the vibration is still there ( I assume its not tranny mount because its in neutral and vibration in there. )

I have no pulsation while braking in the brake pedal, steering wheel or seats.

Any suggestions ? i dont want to replace the tranny mount and the vibration still exists.

Thanks

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Did he check the wheels on a balancer? Try rotating them, if it moves, wheel/tire, if not, as noted, most likely a bad inner cv joint.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Have you replaced a drive axle with an aftermarket replacement?

I was always skeptical about replacing axles with after market units, so I got a oem rebuilt which lasted roughly 7k miles and the inner joint let go. I then brought a new after market one and my wagon feels like new again. So don't judge, but hopefully I get more than 7k lol we'll see.

Bajan

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
I was always skeptical about replacing axles with after market units, so I got a oem rebuilt which lasted roughly 7k miles and the inner joint let go. I then brought a new after market one and my wagon feels like new again. So don't judge, but hopefully I get more than 7k lol we'll see.

Bajan
What brand if you know ? and how do you tell which side is gone ? because the mechanic pulled on the wheels and the cv axles and nothing really moved.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
What brand if you know ? and how do you tell which side is gone ? because the mechanic pulled on the wheels and the cv axles and nothing really moved.
I don't remember the brand but I got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I had the car on the lift and had the belly pan remove, My Mechanic thought it felt like a bad dog bone mount, so thats the first thing I check, but that was ok. I then grab the left side axle because thats where most the vibration was coming from but that to was good, then I grab the right one and the inner joint was internally destroyed. I was suprise cause I replace that axle about 4 months ago with OEM rebuilt.

CORRECTION. My rebuilt OEM came from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I exchange the OEM rebuilt which was warranty and have that as a spare in garage.
The new axle I replace it with came from WORLDPAC AUTO PARTS.

Last edited:

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Control arm bushings?
Hmm, I was looking at the symptoms of bad control arm bushings and I have no clunks or anything.

Like the vibration is still there while braking, and not braking. The steering wheel doesn't move back and forth like it would if it was warped rotors or unbalanced wheel.

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
A little update: While driving, both while accelerating and not accelerating, I put my foot against the side of the brake pedal and I feel a vibration. I was also feeling this vibration in the gas pedal a few times.

Any thoughts ?

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Have wheels and tires been ruled out by rotating them?
last time I changed them, the idiot mechanic told me they didnt have to be balanced, I went back and the results came out to be unbalanced so I got that solved ( wheel was shaking like crazy at highway speeds ). I will be getting snow tires soon if it starts to snow a lot and will see if that helps

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Inner CV joints: vibration under acceleration but no vibration under deceleration (unless severely, severely worn)
Outer CV joints: popping noise while turning, particularly sharp turns.

Rear control arm bushing tend to make clunking sounds even going from forward to reverse or vise versa

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Inner CV joints: vibration under acceleration but no vibration under deceleration (unless severely, severely worn)
Outer CV joints: popping noise while turning, particularly sharp turns.

Rear control arm bushing tend to make clunking sounds even going from forward to reverse or vise versa

No clunks, or popping noise.

Vibration is there whether i am cursing in neutral or in drive.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I can't recall signs of front control arm bushing wear. But it sounds like your troubles are in in your tire/rim/rotor