New Injectors planned...advice?

LouisianaTDI

TDI
2003 Red Jetta TDI
I've got a 2003 Jetta GL Tdi 5 spd. I primarily drive this car on the interstate 80 miles per day, so I want more power but don't want to sacrifice fuel economy. The car is stock. I saw the 520 PP injectors at one of the dealers listed at TDI-club and had a couple of questions:

1) Have people realized the performance gains advertised for these injectors?

2) What is the level (if any) of increased smoke by installing these injectors on an otherwise stock car?

3) By just changing injectors only do I move into the level of wearing the stock clutch more rapidly?

If you have any more advice, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
What are your plans overall for the vehicle. I had just pp520's for nearly a year with no clutch slip at all and they do give a nice boost in power. There was a little bit of smoke, but nothing obnoxious. If its the only mod you plan though you might be better suited by just a chip. A chip will give much more power for basicly the same price and should still be within what your clutch can hold. Nozzles can gain you like 15 hp where a chip could get you 30-35 hp. Chip has the added benefit of increasing boost along with fueling which keeps the smoke pretty reasonable.

Thats just my opinion.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
PP520s on a 3 year old car is inviting clutch slip IMHO. I have 66000 miles on my 02, and RC2 alone made the clutch slip. You could try the sprint 520s, those are bigger OEM nozzles, without the magic "spray pattern" voodoo that gives PP nozzles more power. Or RC1, if you can arrange to meet Jeff or ship your ECU.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Otherwise stock car:

PP520= no extra smoke, no change in fuel economy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Whether or not your clutch will slip depends on your individual car and how it's been treated. I'm easy on clutches, bought my car new, am almost the sole driver, and at 104K with RC3 I could very occasionally make the clutch slip. However, adding PP520s put me into new clutch territory.

Since it's relatively warm where you live and clutches are most likely to slip when the air is cold and dense I suggest you try RC2. (I don't think there's an RC1 for the non-PDs). It will give you approx 120 HP and 200 lb/ft, no additional gauges needed, and the power is smooth, linear, and your will probably gain a bit of mileage.

If you prefer to go for injectors, add the Sprints. They won't smoke, and will give you about another 10-15 HP. Not as much as the chip but it depends on your preference.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
PP520 will not smoke in a (A4) 5-speed) car with factory ECU programming.
PP520 won't cause clutch slip in car with factory ECU programming. (assuming clutch is healthy)

It's when you throw a chip in the mix that it starts to get a bit more complicated. People that talk of smoke + clutch slip are chipped.

Last edited:

Aggie05

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 2 door golf
Where are you in La. ? I've got Sprint 520's and I like them. If you are near the TX boarder, you can see first hand if you want.
Michael

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Whether or not your clutch will slip depends on your individual car and how it's been treated....
Exactly. As a data point, my 02 with RC2 alone causes clutch slip.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
If you are more near Slidell, I can give you a hand. I am in Biloxi. let me know..

Eric B.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
If you are more near Slidell, I can give you a hand. I am in Biloxi. let me know..

Eric B.

LouisianaTDI

TDI
2003 Red Jetta TDI
Thanks...

Thanks for the suggestions!

This will probably be the only mod that I make, as I really want to get 300k out of this car.

I am in Shreveport, which is in northwest La 30 miles from the Texas border. A couple people suggested chipping, and you mentioned and RC2. I am not familiar with that nomenclature. Where can I get this chip?
By your recommendation I assume that it is a reliable upgrade.

I also assume that a chip also would be much easier to install than the injectors.

-Scott

Golf_GTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Go for the PP357s and RC2. That could give you better power AND economy... what a great highway combo that would be!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
LouisianaTDI said:
This will probably be the only mod that I make, as I really want to get 300k out of this car. -Scott
Beware. There are many that have gone before you that said the same thing. Me among them.:eek:

I am personally convinced that my mods will not shorten my engine life significantly. Driving habits and maintenance make more of a difference, IMO. I'm planning on at least 250K.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Are there uprated, hi-flow injectors out there for the PD130 (ASZ) TDI engine? My turbo is pushing over 2 bar of boost, and the standard injectors can't fuel the engine enough and I get a "sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh" from the turbo pipework as I guess the pressure backs up. Apparently uprated injectors are the next step in order to progress upwards from 220bhp. ;)

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
POWERPLUS should be arriving shortly after the holidays...

LouisianaTDI

TDI
2003 Red Jetta TDI
Rc2 - ?

It seems like everyone here recommends the RC2 - I assume Rocket Chip 2 programming...

Is this chip better than upsolute, bullydog, etc.? If yes, why?

Thanks in advance...

-Scott

:confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
LouisianaTDI said:
It seems like everyone here recommends the RC2 - I assume Rocket Chip 2 programming...:confused:
What's interesting is that we don't even seem to have chip wars any more. Do a search on Rocketchip or Upsolute and happy reading.

I'll risk flaming to say that RC has (almost) become the default chip for TDIs in the US. I say almost because if you're not in the Northeast, eastern Midwest, or Midatlantic states access is a bit challenging.

But you got to drive it to believe it.:D

Oh, and I don't recommend RC2. I recommend RC3.:eek: