'13 Golf vs '11 sportwagon suspension interchaneablity

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
My wife's '11 sportwagon (2.5l gas) just broke one of its front springs:

It's he bottom of the spring where it reduces radius to meet the perch, so I really don't want to ignore this.

Now, I'm about to turn in (in a couple weeks) a '13 Golf TDI for the buyback. It's a lower trim level, no sunroof. (just in case there's some suspension difference between the trim levels. The Golf has very low miles on it, just a smidge over 11k.

Are the suspensions interchangeable? Can I swap out the springs and dampers as whole units between the two?

If the TDI has stiffer springs/dampers, that would probably be fine.

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
There are lots of folks on vwvortex classifieds selling stock suspension who have upgraded. I'm going to upgrade at some point, but not ready just yet or I'd give you one of my stock springs.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...gs-and-Front-Struts-from-MK6-Jetta-Sportwagen

Otherwise I have a used set (all 4) of H&R Sport springs I'd sell for $150. They will give you about an inch of lowering. Not going to use them as I'm looking into coilovers...

But to answer your question, I don't believe the golf and sportwagen have the same suspension. I believe the sportwagen has a heavier rear end with different spring rates. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
99% think you can swap with no issues. Check out what you would buy as new replacements for the two cars. Yes the rears on the JSW have higher rate springs and perhaps different damping but front dampers are probably identical for the two models.