ALH into 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ

CR-Snow

TDI
BHW
Right on man, thanks for the info on the alternator. I suppose I could look
Up the flow rates and pressures for VW power steering pumps and compare. I’ll be tuning into the bleepin jeep for sure

JeddaDeezl

TDI
2001 Jetta (Now 2001 TDI XJ)
I’ve been working on fitting up the intercooler. I got a 25x11x3 core with same side I/O which are 2.5” and I am reducing them directly off the IC to 2” and running all 2” tubes. I also had the Map sensor bung welded into the race pipe on the intake. I am going to change how the tube is routed between the intake and IC so that I have more room in front of the engine and don’t have to modify the hood support at all.

I moved the radiator toward the engine 1” to make more room for this intercooler. Very minimal trimming to grille and surround.

How I have it for now:

This is more or less what I’m changing it to, but with a 45° bend in the vertical tube.

JeddaDeezl

TDI
Because I could not find a (reasonably priced) 97+ manual pedal assembly I had to make a clutch master support bracket. No big deal.

Here’s what I ended up with to mount the VW throttle pedal. Basically just an adapter to go to the stock XJ throttle pedal bolts.

Finalizing the coolant system. I kept the stock oil cooler, capped the one 5/8” tube that comes out by the thermostat. This tube is for a mustang 2.3 turbo, but in hindsight I should have just made this out of a piece of steel tube and painted it. I ended up using a black pipe elbow at the back end of it anyway and tapping a 5/16” barb fitting into it to connect in that 5/16” hose fitting that comes off the back of the head. The top radiator hose is a 2001 TDI lower radiator hose cut down a bit, it is 1.25” on both ends.

This should be a good spot for the frost heater

A little more bendy than I wanted but it works out pretty well. Napa #8698 with about 4” cut off the radiator end and maybe 3” off the thermostat end. I used one of those stainless coils inside the thermostat end to help the hose keep its shape. The thermostat end is 1.25” the radiator end is 1.5”

JeddaDeezl

TDI
Time for a long overdue update! I made a hard push to the end and have been driving it now for 2 weeks. A stage 1 tune, stock injectors, stock turbo, and it was incredibly capable. Really not lacking in any area whatsoever. Of course knowing it could be better I upgraded the injectors to ones I had MecEvo rebuild with his 764 nozzles. I am working with Malone to get the tune dialed in but I think I also have some mechanical issues to worth through, namely timing and fuel lines. I won’t jump ahead to the end with pictures you’ll have to wait for that so my next post will be picking up where I left off!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Can't wait to see the updates!

My Jeep Club's local chapter is having their annual "official" event at Rausch Creek in Tremont, PA the end of June - if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the details if you think you and the truck will be up for some trail action...