How many VW techs does it take.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
This is the sort of thing I think about when everyone touts the long warranties. Yeah, warranties are good, but it still means having to go to dealerships to get things fixed. Having to deal with getting repairs made is such a hassle. At least that looks straight foward so you hopefully don't have to deal with the dealer or VW trying to shirk their responsibility which is all too common.

I appreciate the piece of mind for more expensive repairs like the HPFP and the DPF. But if I end up with a bunch of emissions related issues on my car, I'll just delete it and forgo the long warranty.

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I just had this issue fixed by my local dealer. 1+ month later and no leaks. Do you have the work order handy? Wondering what they replced? On mine they replaced the line and the dosing valve. The TSB says to replace the line only, but everything I’ve read said that the valve has to be replaced too or the issue will return.

Parts list from my job is attached. I was only expecting the line to be replaced and was expecting to have to go back and argue for the valve too...but they did both no questions asked.

Hope this helps.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Same issue. Had to take it in twice. First time they just replaced the line and it did not fix the issue. Second time they replaced the valve and no problems since.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
but most do ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
but most do ;)
How do you qualify that answer? I have used many different dealers over the last 15 years with little to no issues. I have also used independent mechanics as well. I have had more issues with non dealer mechanics than the dealer. For many years I had Robby from Meyerhoff (http://www.runonbeer.com/) and was very lucky for having him around for my service needs. Now he has moved and dealer is the best choice now. Too many independents say they know what they are doing and don't and can't back up or guarantee their work either. You just end up completely shafted. I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand. Some of those owners seem to cause their own issues as well.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
... I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand...
Yep. I've had good and bad experiences at Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet dealers. People talk as if this is a situation unique to VW. One example: our 2000 Suburban is a base model, crank windows and everything. So it didn't come with the third bench seat in the back. I got a bench from a wrecking yard and needed to get the rear hooks that the latches clip into when the seat is in use (i.e. not folded forward and out of the cargo area). I went to my local dealer and the guy said he couldn't sell me just the hooks, I had to order a whole new rear floor section with the hooks in it. I showed him the plastic plugs in the floor where the hooks are supposed to bolt in, but he didn't budge. I told him thanks but no thanks and that I would just have to find those at a wrecking yard. I went do a dealership near Portland and told the parts person what I was looking for and he turned the monitor toward me and said "these, right?" They were something like $5 each.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You should take them to the first dealer and show them to the parts guy, with the receipt from the other dealer...

Yep. I've had good and bad experiences at Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet dealers. People talk as if this is a situation unique to VW. One example: our 2000 Suburban is a base model, crank windows and everything. So it didn't come with the third bench seat in the back. I got a bench from a wrecking yard and needed to get the rear hooks that the latches clip into when the seat is in use (i.e. not folded forward and out of the cargo area). I went to my local dealer and the guy said he couldn't sell me just the hooks, I had to order a whole new rear floor section with the hooks in it. I showed him the plastic plugs in the floor where the hooks are supposed to bolt in, but he didn't budge. I told him thanks but no thanks and that I would just have to find those at a wrecking yard. I went do a dealership near Portland and told the parts person what I was looking for and he turned the monitor toward me and said "these, right?" They were something like $5 each.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
How do you qualify that answer? I have used many different dealers over the last 15 years with little to no issues. I have also used independent mechanics as well. I have had more issues with non dealer mechanics than the dealer. For many years I had Robby from Meyerhoff (http://www.runonbeer.com/) and was very lucky for having him around for my service needs. Now he has moved and dealer is the best choice now. Too many independents say they know what they are doing and don't and can't back up or guarantee their work either. You just end up completely shafted. I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand. Some of those owners seem to cause their own issues as well.
I used to work in a city where advice was shared to buy a brand of vehicle only because there was a person that could service them in the area. It was good advice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used to work in a city where advice was shared to buy a brand of vehicle only because there was a person that could service them in the area. It was good advice.
That is good advice, if you can find that person who can service it. It could be a dealer or non dealer though. There were/are small towns with only one dealer in them. People buy from them and use them because they are the only game in town for them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do you qualify that answer?

Personal experience, just like you had personal experience with yours. For our Alltrack total of 4 trips to the dealer for two issues, passengers side occupancy detection failed and gave air bag warning light, two different appointments. 3 strut bearings have been replaced, with in 4 months of each other. first time is was the dirvers side, second time it was both sides.

Maybe its the GFF to blame which I agree isn't the dealers fault, but still. Again this is just my experience with my local dealer, I have had great success with other dealers, sadly they are 50-60 miles away.

Ohh and when the salesman bold faced lied to us about the service work on our '15 Passat to make a quick sale the last day of the month. When brought to managements attention they said tough luck it was a "miscommunication" nothing they could do. Sure the sales department is a separate entity than the service department, but they still roll up to the same management.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So your dealing with one local dealer and having to return twice, you determine from your one dealer experience with them, most are bad? That is a pretty broad brush you are painting with there. You even admit that there are dealers 50-60 miles away that you have had "great success" with, yet most are bad. From your example at least 2 are good and one local is bad. That is 2/3 good or mostly good. ;)

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
I’d like to chime in as a former vw dealer technician. When it comes to warranty, techs and dealers are often limited by vw policies and procedures. Sometimes we can’t do what we think we need to, because if we do, warranty will decline payment of the claim and then the dealers and techs would be screwed out of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is understood but makes no difference to a customer, as the dealer is essentially the face of VW to them. A customer never sees VW only the dealer. It means little to the customer with a legitimate claim to be told VW won't approve of the fix. VW puts the dealer and the customer in a bad position when they do this. It isn't just VW either as all dealers do this to some extent.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So your dealing with one local dealer and having to return twice, you determine from your one dealer experience with them, most are bad? That is a pretty broad brush you are painting with there. You even admit that there are dealers 50-60 miles away that you have had "great success" with, yet most are bad. From your example at least 2 are good and one local is bad. That is 2/3 good or mostly good. ;)

Sure, but your statement was "Not everyone's dealer sucks." that implies an owners local dealer, I have one local dealer IE the dealer closet to where I live. Now if you said "Not all dealers suck", I'd prob agree with you :D

The memory of a sour experience does outweigh previous service that was adequate. Dealer bashing is not a new past time for VW owners, sorry for perpetuating the sigma.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is understood but makes no difference to a customer, as the dealer is essentially the face of VW to them. A customer never sees VW only the dealer. It means little to the customer with a legitimate claim to be told VW won't approve of the fix. VW puts the dealer and the customer in a bad position when they do this. It isn't just VW either as all dealers do this to some extent.

But the same could be said that the service techs feeds GFF, if they give GFF bad input, it could be chasing down the wrong rabbit hole. This is more for something that doesn't toss a code. Agreed once a code is popped up the dealers hands are tied to GFF. How many EGR filters have been replaced due to VWoA not identifying cracked DPF as the true cause?

Mk7 GSW have a rash of leaking pano roofs for example (bunch of '18 have water stains sitting on dealer lots unsold!). There are 3-4 failure modes, many dealers only look for one issue say they "fix it" but overlook the other potential 3 other failure modes and bam! next rain storm customer is back at the dealer complaining of a sieve of car that has sub 2K miles on it.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I’d like to chime in as a former vw dealer technician. When it comes to warranty, techs and dealers are often limited by vw policies and procedures. Sometimes we can’t do what we think we need to, because if we do, warranty will decline payment of the claim and then the dealers and techs would be screwed out of money.

I understand the techs position... I am a tech also but not on cars. I am pretty sure it is the failing part and not the installation. If it were up to me I would just install the valve and apply a little super glue around the area that leaks... let it seep in. I know the tech can't do that because when the part gets turned back in there would be hell to pay. The engineers don't like techs fixing things, that's how they protect there jobs.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI

Yep this is what our salesman told us. They've had many people schedule warranty work and dealer ordered parts only to have the folks not show up. The dealer cant get reimbursed if they never installed the parts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Part of the reason they take your car in and then tell you they have to wait a week for the parts to come in. Prevents no shows but causes other unhappiness.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There are now 4 dealers in the Charlotte area. One I have no experience with. The other 3 have all had at least one failing on service over the last 18 years I've been driving VW tdis. Some minor, like putting the wrong new tire on to replace a blown one. Some were major, like not telling me that I was already eating into the rear disks on my beetle at 25k miles when I had it in for an oil change and state safety inspection. Oh, and the oil change included a tire rotation. The dealer got bought out and relocated, which is where I've done most of my service since 2010. With all that went on when we had the jsw fixed, I will probably not go back there. No so much the extra $3000 of work but more the attitude. "You don't need to worry about how much this is going to cost because VW is giving you $5000"