DSG PRDS flashing only into reverse

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
So I’ve read this is a very common problem but i would like to ask if anyone can narrow it down as to where I should start looking
It’s a 06 jetta tdi Brm engine

Had a tranny leak and I fixed that

What happens is if I’m driving and I stop and put it in reverse the car won’t engage but tries to, you can hear the clicking. Sometimes it goes into reverse, othertimes starts flashing.

When this happens if I turn off the car and turn it back on it will engage into reverse and then I can put it in drive again.

Also if I start the car and put it into reverse before I put it into drive it backs up fine.

Is it a bad mechatronic or something else ?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
What are the details of the leak, and the repair? Correct fluid level set after repair, with the correct fluid? DSG service performed every 40k? What faults does VCDS show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
The leak was caused by a broken cv axle that broke the tranny case but I had that repaired, I used dealership gear oil and theoretically filled it correctly. The code I’ll check in the morning

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Vagcom code is 19143 unexpected/implausible mechanical gear disengagement P2711-004- intermittent

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
When I had DSG issues and flashing PRNDS, it ended up being a ground that I didn't tighten down after some work I did.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
The clutches are worn out and need to be replaced. I had this problem with my dsg also. The clutches weren’t clearing properly

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
The car has 196,000 miles

If I’m on an uphill facing up and throw it in reverse the car will go in reverse no problem. If I have the car on flat ground and throw it in reverse from drive it won’t shift, just making noise as if trying to shift. Sometimes it does engage in to reverse after atempiting.

The only way I get to put it in reverse us, turn off engine and restart the car then go to reverse first.

Still think it’s clutch’s or metatromics ?

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Never changed the clutch pack is t hard? Why would the clutch’s be bad if it sounds like it has trouble disengaging ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to use one from a BRM car, nothing else will work.

There are two different 3-digit trans codes for BRMs. So long as you get the whole thing, you can use either one. The M-units are not interchangeable, so you have to make sure of that if the time ever comes to replace that.

The trans code will be one your build tag in the trunk, or you can ask the dealer to get it from your VIN. Otherwise, you'll have to look under the mount bracket on the trans (the one underneath the battery tray) as that is where they put it on the 02E DSG, unfortunately.

ETKA lists three, but I have only ever seen two different codes. I do not remember which one I have never seen. But the ones listed are HQN, HXU, and JPL. I *think* the JPL is the one I have never seen.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
The clutch packs wear out and drag preventing the clutches from fully clearing allowing the gears to be engaged correctly. Just the same as a worn pressure plate on a manual gearbox. When was the last time the dsg oil and filter was changed? It’s worth changing the oil and filter first and do a driven clutch learn before replacing the clutches, or indeed, gearbox.

jbkmuzik

TDI
2010 Golf
Have you changed the clutch pack yet?
Hi! I am having same issue you described here. Did you get to fix the issue? Have you tried changing clutches? I would appreciate your reply! I would like to replace clutches but it is pricey so I'm just researching and see other people's cases before I go for clutches.