Rattle at low RPM in 2015 Passat TDI SEL

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2015 Passat SEL TDI that has had the emissions fix applied. When the engine is running at low RPM and lugging (like driving up the driveway or driving up a hill at low speed and RPM), there is a rattle coming from the what seem to be inside the middle of the dash, kind of like a loose piece of trim, but it could also be coming from the engine compartment.

The problem is that I can't reproduce the problem when the car is idling and stationary, so it is tough to diagnose. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this, and what the problem might be.

Thanks!

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Probably a loose or ill-fitting trim piece.
Low RPM lugging causes a minor rattle in mine too, but only at very low revs, 1.1k - 1.3k RPM. Could be a wire in the dash, plastic trim, any number of things.
I wouldn't worry about it, and just downshift to a lower gear if it's bothersome.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My 2015 TDI SEL had rattles coming from the dash trim that spans the width of the car and says "Fender" on it. It took a few trips to the dealer (when it was new) to sort that out.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I am not going to call my rattle solved yet BUT:
The hose that comes out under the airbox and goes around and behind the engine ends in an open ended aluminum tube. In my car that tube was very close to other metal components. I carefully forced that tube away from those components about a week ago and I have not had the annoying rattle sound since.

Since the noise has been intermittent on my car I am NOT certain I have solved my "center of the dash rattle" but crossed fingers hoping. I will update this post if the rattle comes back.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not going to call my rattle solved yet BUT:
The hose that comes out under the airbox and goes around and behind the engine ends in an open ended aluminum tube. In my car that tube was very close to other metal components. I carefully forced that tube away from those components about a week ago and I have not had the annoying rattle sound since.
Since the noise has been intermittent on my car I am NOT certain I have solved my "center of the dash rattle" but crossed fingers hoping. I will update this post if the rattle comes back.
Fail. Started to rattle again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Best of luck, I'd honestly avoid the dealer as much as it stinks, they will be just a clueless as you are and may do more damage than good. Is it possible to have someone outside the car to try and pin point where the noise is as you climb a hill?

I imagine this is in first at about 1200 RPMS? gearing of first on the 2015 is sooo tall compared to other DSG gens.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat. The dang rattle is sporadic and has only done it only once at home. Seems to happen most often when the engine is hot in stop n go traffic. I have to agree I won't go near the dealer on this. Pretty sure they will break three things trying to find the problem. I can induce a minor rattle by forcing the rpms down with with the clutch and brake. It is not the same sound though exactly.

Sooner or later I am going to have to give up or get aggressive on this. I can live with it if I have to.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2015 Passat SEL TDI that has had the emissions fix applied. When the engine is running at low RPM and lugging (like driving up the driveway or driving up a hill at low speed and RPM), there is a rattle coming from the what seem to be inside the middle of the dash, kind of like a loose piece of trim, but it could also be coming from the engine compartment.

The problem is that I can't reproduce the problem when the car is idling and stationary, so it is tough to diagnose. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this, and what the problem might be.

Thanks!

You are not saying whether your car is manual or DSG.
Maybe what you are getting is what I am getting, but it is not a "rattle".
I have the DSG tranny and if I'm just chugging along at about 40 Mph and the car is in 6th gear it causes a different sound from when running at higher speeds or accelerating, it's more like a low rumbling sound but NOT a rattle.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You are not saying whether your car is manual or DSG.
Since the OP has a SEL per what is listed below their screen name it has to be a DSG as no manuals were offered in the SEL. To get a manual transmission in a NMS Passat one has to get the SE version.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My solution would be to keep the RPMs up a little, I know that's hard when creeping at first gear, but keep in mind a DSG it is probably slipping the clutch until 5-7mph anyways.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Uhhh... guys? This was two posts above:

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat.
My comment regarding NMS Passat SEL's only came with the DSG was directed at the OP* who is jhuber who has not posted in this thread since. :rolleyes:

Then a couple of you jumped in with your own TDI's which are identified as having a manual transmission by the screen name or in a later post which I am crystal clear on. So I was not talking about your TDI since you are not the OP of this thread. Hope that clears it up for you...

*OP = Original Poster (as in the person who started the thread)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I blame funguy for not being so fun and thread jacking ;)

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OUCH! My Thursday morning beat down. I might have to change my handle to NoFunGuy. Sorry for the confusion. As punishment I will be compelled to drive a gasser for a couple of days while my TDI is getting it's Phase II done.:eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wind the piss out of the gasser, you'll be impressed that there is life after 4,000 PRM ;)

jhuber

TDI
I had actually forgot I started this thread, but the same issue was reported while I was reading some other recent threads, which jogged my memory. it seems that a number of repaired 2015 Passat TDIs have this seemingly-behind-the-dash vibration/shaking issue at low RPM. Unfortunately, I have not made any progress on diagnosing or eliminating it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i really think its the dieselly sounds of the engine earning it's keep. If you roll the window down does it sound like its coming from the engine or from inside the cabin?

Our driveway is pretty steep, unless I keep in manual mode in first, she'll make it up in second and the clatter is just not needed.

I don't think you're harming anything, if need be try and keep the RPMs up by holding in first.

jhuber

TDI
i really think its the dieselly sounds of the engine earning it's keep. If you roll the window down does it sound like its coming from the engine or from inside the cabin?

Our driveway is pretty steep, unless I keep in manual mode in first, she'll make it up in second and the clatter is just not needed.

I don't think you're harming anything, if need be try and keep the RPMs up by holding in first.
I understand the diesel lugging sound you are talking about...I've had a 2005 Jetta TDI, 2012 Passat TDI (which I had for awhile after it had the fix done), and 2014 Jetta TDI in the past. However, with this 2015 Passat TDI, this rattle starts after the engine starts doing its business, and it sounds more like a muffled vibrating stiff plastic trim piece (like I used to experience often with the 2005 Jetta, but with that car, I could usually find the offending piece of plastic). I've had the window down, and it doesn't sound to me like it is coming from the engine compartment, but it is hard to tell.

For me, this rattle doesn't only happen when going up the driveway. I can be going downhill pulling up to a STOP sign, and as soon as the RPMs drop, the rattle starts.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
My comment regarding NMS Passat SEL's only came with the DSG was directed at the OP* who is jhuber who has not posted in this thread since. :rolleyes:

Then a couple of you jumped in with your own TDI's which are identified as having a manual transmission by the screen name or in a later post which I am crystal clear on. So I was not talking about your TDI since you are not the OP of this thread. Hope that clears it up for you...

*OP = Original Poster (as in the person who started the thread)

Uhhh... guys? This was two posts above:

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat.
Yeah, and it gets confusing when people don't quote a post.....it makes it sound as though it is their personal post......

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I understand the diesel lugging sound you are talking about...I've had a 2005 Jetta TDI, 2012 Passat TDI (which I had for awhile after it had the fix done), and 2014 Jetta TDI in the past. However, with this 2015 Passat TDI, this rattle starts after the engine starts doing its business, and it sounds more like a muffled vibrating stiff plastic trim piece (like I used to experience often with the 2005 Jetta, but with that car, I could usually find the offending piece of plastic). I've had the window down, and it doesn't sound to me like it is coming from the engine compartment, but it is hard to tell.

For me, this rattle doesn't only happen when going up the driveway. I can be going downhill pulling up to a STOP sign, and as soon as the RPMs drop, the rattle starts.

gottcha, yeah trim rattle is tough to peg down, start hitting things. the "loop" portion of velcro is great at silencing rattles, other thing that I've read is medical tap used to silence squeaks.

jhuber

TDI
Just an update...I took the Passat in for the Phase 2 update, and whatever they did fixed the rattle/rumble.

Also the Passat is running better now too. Prior to the Phase 2 update, it seemed to me that car was idling too low (based on my prior experience with TDIs). Sometimes it would seem to nearly stall when shifting into gear and taking off. That is all gone now. I reported this problem to the service agent, so perhaps they adjusted something else, or maybe the Phase 2 software update took care of the problem.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you get phase 2a and 2b or just 2a?

2a is the sensor/wiring , 2b is the DPF EGR system stuff.

jhuber

TDI
you get phase 2a and 2b or just 2a?

2a is the sensor/wiring , 2b is the DPF EGR system stuff.
The service ticket says 2A, which consists of coolant added, a pipe, a conversion kit, and a software update for ECM.