'86 2WD Toyota, 1.6TD to AHU

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I looked back at page one but didn't find where the Intake manifold came from, is it a piece that you built? I like the looks of it and the stainless is pretty. I did a similar manifold but used the stock aluminum one for the base. I cut the top off and welded ally tube to the top. The stainless might keep some of the exhaust manifold heat transfer down as it is not as good a conductor as aluminum.

Nice work on the wiring too.

Jaysin

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I looked back at page one but didn't find where the Intake manifold came from, is it a piece that you built? I like the looks of it and the stainless is pretty. I did a similar manifold but used the stock aluminum one for the base. I cut the top off and welded ally tube to the top. The stainless might keep some of the exhaust manifold heat transfer down as it is not as good a conductor as aluminum.

Nice work on the wiring too.

Jaysin
Thanks. I've seen your manifold, I would have copied it if I could weld aluminum. I picked up the stainless manifold from someone on here awhile ago, hood clearance is going to be close

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Been working on the wiring a bit, I'm at the point where I need to decide wether or not to wire up the coolant glow plugs and relays and I was wondering how useful they were and if they were worth keeping? It would be a cleaner install without them, but if they be really help with warm up I would find a place for them. Thoughts?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, next question. Is the MKIV 'check engine' light an LED or incandescent bulb? Will the ground signal from the ECU drive the incandescent check light in the trucks' cluster?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ok, next question. Is the MKIV 'check engine' light an LED or incandescent bulb? Will the ground signal from the ECU drive the incandescent check light in the trucks' cluster?
the mkiv light is an LED however the ecm will drive an incandescent just fine, my truck has been operating with an incandescent cel and glow light for over four years and over 70k miles

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
the mkiv light is an LED however the ecm will drive an incandescent just fine, my truck has ben operating with an incandescent cel and glow light for over four years and over 70k miles
I remember reading somewhere in your build about the tach, you used the signal from the ECU to a Dakoda Digital converter correct? Was there anything else you had to do to get it to work?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I remember reading somewhere in your build about the tach, you used the signal from the ECU to a Dakoda Digital converter correct? Was there anything else you had to do to get it to work?
tach signal from the ecm drives the toyota tach directly.... however, the ecm tach signal is also a surrogate speed signal... it's fed through a dakota digital speedo converter then back to the ecm's speed input pin so i can have cruise

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
tach signal from the ecm drives the toyota tach directly.... however, the ecm tach signal is also a surrogate speed signal... it's fed through a dakota digital speedo converter then back to the ecm's speed input pin so i can have cruise
Good info, may have to reconsider cruise now. I was going to skip it.
Got a little more work done on the truck, nothing exciting. I finished wiring up my cluster, I decided to tap what I can right off the cluster and add a connector to plug directly into my harness to bypass the toyota wiring. I want to make my wiring as self contained as possible, I wired up the following:
-glow plug light
-alternator light
-check engine light
-coolant temp gauge
-oil pressure gauge
-tach signal
These wires were already present in the toyota (glow plug light is a repurposed auto transmission 'mode' light), but all those wires and their connections are now part of my stand alone harness, so I am not tapping into the toyota harness for anything except brake signal and ECU power/ground under the dash, and battery hot (for glow plugs) under the hood, I may go right to the battery for the glow plugs, so technically I wont be tapping into anything under the hood.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Got some more work done on the harness, decided to go with the coolant glow plugs. I wired up a relay module that plugs into the harness that includes the glow plug relay and the coolant glow plug relays. I also found a cool little vacuum ball while collecting relays at the junk yard, the VW one is too big and I'm not even sure it's necessary.
The glow plug relay base I am using has the two mount holes, it has the same spacing as the N75 valve so I mounted them together as one unit. I added a connector for battery power for the relays and will be running it to some fuses out by the battery.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
What diameter fuel line is everyone using? The Toyota has 1/4", is that enough with a boost pump?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Went to the junk yard to find a windshield fluid level sensor for my daughters Golf to get rid of the annoying dash light. I came across a '98 Beetle TDI, first time I ever spotted a TDI in the junkyard. All I had with me was a pair of pliers, but I was able to get the following items:
ECU
Most of both harnesses
N75 (square plug)
Glow plug relay
MAP sensor
few other sensors and connectors
Got it all (including the washer fluid sensor) for $40. Sweet.
I wanted to grab the accelerator potentiometer but I didn't have the tools. It was the older round style, this raises a few questions about my current 99.5 setup I'm putting in. Am I supposed to have the round potentiometer? I got my harness from someone on here and it came with the newer style accelerator and I assumed it was all from the same car.
Also, my 99.5 had the square plug N75 but I changed the connector to the newer style so I could use a new N75 I had laying around instead of buying an expensive square style. Are the N75's interchangeable?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Been busy with work and yard work but found a little time to work on the exhaust. Used mostly 2.25 tubing. Got it routed behind the head to the other side of the engine where it belongs. Going to have to add a V-band clamp on the drivers side because that pipe will have to be removed if I have to drop the transmission. Got a question, do I need to have a flex pipe? I don't have much room for a flex pipe and a converter, there isn't much room between the torque rod and floor of the cab.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Interesting routing there - how are you dealing with the missing coolant flange at the end of the head?

If the exhaust is attached to the body of the vehicle at all, you will need a flex pipe.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting routing there - how are you dealing with the missing coolant flange at the end of the head?
If the exhaust is attached to the body of the vehicle at all, you will need a flex pipe.
This is how the pipe is routed, under the coolant flange. There is more clearance around the pipe then there appears, going to have it ceramic coated and maybe wrap a few spots to keep the temps down. Need to try to squeeze a converter and flex pipe in there, not a lot of room to work with.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Still plugging away on this, been busy at work and it gets dark so early now, its been hard to find the time. Just about done the interior half of the harness, hope to get it laid in and hooked up soon so I can button up the interior.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Bringing this back from the dead. It's been busy at work but I'm going to try to get up to my parents garage to get some work done this week.
Now that my down pipe is done, I'd like to permanently install the turbo so I can work on my intercooler plumbing.

I have a GTB1756 turbo that I took apart to get the hot side ceramic coated. It's back together and properly clocked and now I need to adjust the actuator and stop. Does anyone know what these settings should be? I searched but didn't find much for the 1756.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Just curious as to where the other radiator hose goes to on that engine.
I'm only familiar with the ALH ,on that engine both the return and heater outlet comes off the back of the head
where as yours only has the heater outlet.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
The output is in the head between cylinder 3+4 and the input is at the front of the engine below the water pump.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
How's this swap going? It's the closest one (performance parts and truck style that I'm going with. Great job so far

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been wrapped up with a project at work since December and it should be slowing down soon. I plan to get back at this and get it done.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Can't wait. Awesome build. I plan on doing my swap in the dually chassis. Flat beds unite lol

Where did you get the oil pan spacer? I was going to suggest the passat or a4 1.8t oil filter flange because it mounts the filter at a 45 degree angle towards the back of the truck but it appears it may hit the exhaust.

Also, did you do a full bottom end rebuild too?

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I ran across a dually rear axle in the junk yard a year or two ago and am kicking myself for not grabbing it. I got the spacer from a place that modifies vw gassers, I'll see if I can find the link. It was pricy, if I was to do it again I would make the rear sump deeper. It's not that hard but the spacer was easier.
The stock filter flange works best, otherwise it would be in the way of the exhaust like you suspected. My exhaust is about 80% done, I finished the hard part of routing it behind the head, down past the filter. Not a lot of room to work with but I have enough air gap that I won't melt anything. I know the samurai guys use an angled mount.
Speaking of samurai guys, there was a papasmurf on one of the samurai forums I was on.
I rebuilt the bottom end, forged rods and ASV pistons. Frank rebuilt, ported & polished my head.
The only major system I haven't messed with yet is the intercooler. I have the cooling system figured out and the wiring needs to be tidied up and installed.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Basically my mods will match yours but with either my pp764's or r520's. 1756 turbo if i can't find a gtb2056vk. I just can't wait to see how that little truck gets up and moves

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I almost went with the r520's and 2056 but decided to be conservative, it was a tough choice. It should move along good, the truck is light and the stock size tires will spool right up. Big tires that the 4x4's have really soak up the pep, gearing can only help so much. Looking forward to your build.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
I may still do the 2056 if i can find one. Only reason being is to keep the egts down when towing. But I've also heard with franko6' head work and a stage 2 cam really helps in that department. Oh and keep and eye out for a homemade gooseneck trailer. Ok no more thread stealing from me sir!

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
How is the truck coming? I decided to go the ahu route because I found a silly cheap donor so I was reading up on your swap again.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s been at a standstill in my parents garage. Just bought a house and am hoping to get it in my garage to finish it up once it warms up a bit. Congrats on the cheap find, when you getting started?

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Now lol. I wish I hadn't cut the old mounts off. Seems the Suzuki mounts would have worked