Audi 80 1.9 TDi EGR..

Max M4X WW

TDI
Audi 80 TDi
Hi,

I've just bought a 1995 Audi 80 TDi Avant, with previous diesels I've owned I have blocked off/unplugged the EGR system to stop it working.

Is this the best thing to do with this car? I've heard people talking about adjusting it with VAG COM, so should I..

1) Leave it as it is (new egr valve fitted a few months back)
2) Blank it off with: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140259141990
3) Do something on vag com

This has probably be asked 100 times, sorry!

Thanks

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Unplugging the valve will not get rid of the CEL. The only way is to have it programmed out of the ECU.

Not having the EGR functional causes one fault code (ECU sees the MAF readings) and then unplugging the EGR causes another fault code. Contact a programmer and see if they can program out the CELs in the ECU.

Max M4X WW

TDI
Audi 80 TDi
I don't have a Check Engine Light (if that's what CEL) means.

Just wondering if its good to disable/blank it and how to do it.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You can disable it with a block off plate on the exhaust manifols and the intake manifold or by simply putting one between the manifold and EGR pipe. You could also just eliminate the vacuum line going to the EGR valve.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On all of the tdi engines that I have experiance on the answer is yes:

Unplugging the valve will not get rid of the CEL. The only way is to have it programmed out of the ECU.

Not having the EGR functional causes one fault code (ECU sees the MAF readings) and then unplugging the EGR causes another fault code. Contact a programmer and see if they can program out the CELs in the ECU.

Max M4X WW

TDI
Audi 80 TDi
I can live with the light to test it if it doesn't cause a problem with the running of the engine. Then get it removed at a later date.