First 2005 Jetta oil change....

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Just completed my first 8000km oil change on my 2005 Jetta. (no I’m not looking for any awards for doing so… just thought I would pass on my “experience”….)

There was really no drama in the process of doing the change, but there was some definite “VW think” on how you have to do it!

Getting all the plastic “verks” out of the way was a bit of a test… three different types of fasteners (torques machine screws, torques body screws and just to spice things up 2 kinky little allen head plastic screw/rivets) I won’t bother to ask why… I know, it’s just the way VW does stuff….

First real item of interest was the “oil heater” that sits under the filter housing. It just would not be a diesel oil change with out finding a way to puke oil all over something…. Nice black oil!

It was pretty obvious this chamber could not be drained via something logical like say… a drain plug? The big “plastic” nut causes the housing to separate and… well the rest goes without saying.

The oil filter system itself is a testimony to more VW logic, Plastic cap, long slender plastic “gizmo” that runs down the center of the filter with a little tiny “o” ring on the end. Made me kind of wonder if that little sample of modern composite is going to make it out to the 800,000 km design limits.

I think the next time around, I might just get one of those Pella oil suckers to do the next change. Can anybody tell me if using the Pella, are you able to “suck” the oil that resides in the “oil heater”?

Also, don’t get me wrong. No complaints here…. For the little bit of weirdness that goes with changing the oil on this car (like the very very special 505.01 oil!)… I’m still blown away with how much fun this car is to drive! Just came back from a 1800km trip and we “flew all the way”… at an altitude of 3 inches! A real blast!

EZR

TDI
Platinum 2005 Jetta
I just passed the 10K mile point (second oil change) and have done both topside with an extractor. (not a Pella, but a good one). SERIOUSLY - consider doing your future oil changes this way. There are some great threads on this site that will instruct you on the precise method, and there are also links to videos that show you the step-by-step process.

No more fitzing around with that mess under the car (I also have a steel skid plate), you get probably more oil out of the engine overall, and you don't have to get dirty or spill any. I've never stayed so clean working on a car...

get a Pella or other quality extractor and don't look back!

ps - get a skid plate on there too.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
I know you were probably being facetious, but the thing under the oil filter housing is an oil cooler, not an oil heater. Just wanted to clear that potential confusion up for newbs.

I second the suggestion on Pella and skid plate!