2003 Passat TDI can't shift it in gear

xania

TDI
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
Hello!

Yesterday I had a weird thing happen to me. Basically I was driving in the city in 3rd gear (manual trans) then I wanted to shift into 4th, but I couldn't, it felt like something was blocking it. So i decided to stop and investigate.
Stopped at a parking lot and tried to shift, but again failed. Now none of the gears worked. Then I shut down the engine, put it into 1st (I could move through the gears with the engine off), released the clutch and it drove off normally, then somehow I managed to get it into 2nd and 3rd. Soon I stopped again at a shopping mall for some groceries, went back and tried to move again, this time I needed to put it into reverse, but again - 0 success, the weird thing is that even with the engine off it was not going into reverse (other gears - fine).

Ok.. called a friend who towed the car home..

When we arrived I decided to give it one more try, and YES, I was able to shift through all of the gears with both engine on or off (including reverse).

Today checked it once more - everything seems normal. Clutch feels like always, no noises, nothing.

Can somebody explain this mystery? What the hell happened? :confused::confused::confused:

P.S. sorry for broken english :eek:

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Broken English? At least you use caps and punctuation, unlike many here. :D

The only thing that I could imagine would be either a linkage issue, or something is up with the master and/or slave cylinder.

xania

TDI
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
Broken English? At least you use caps and punctuation, unlike many here. :D

The only thing that I could imagine would be either a linkage issue, or something is up with the master and/or slave cylinder.
It's the first time something like this happen. :(
So, should I keep driving it or..? As far as I understand this can and will happen again? Unexpectedly?

It's really a mystery how it "fixed" itself though. :confused: