power to IP then gone

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I am working on an ALH car. Just had the IP rebuilt. I'm showing power all the way to the fuel cut off solenoid until I hook the wire to the solenoid and turn on the key. The power goes away. But take the wire back off and it shows battery voltage when key is turned on. This is a new one on me. If I run a jumper wire to the solenoid the car starts right up.
I'm up for all ideas. Anyone seen this before?
Thanks

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I might have solved my own riddle. After looking at the wiring diagram I believe it could be the 109 relay. I will find out as soon as I can get one installed and update.

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Finally had the chance to try a new 109 relay. Thats not the problem. Same this has power all the way to the shut off solenoid until I hook it up to the solenoid and power drops to nothing.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It's normal for power to the solenoid to drop out after a few seconds if the engine isn't started. It should come back on when the engine is turned over.

If that isn't what's going on and the actual connection to the solenoid causes the voltage to drop it would seem to indicate a shorted solenoid but that would set a Code and turn on the CEL. What's its resistance?

Last edited:

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
When key is turned on with wire connected there is no power ever. Only power when wire is off the solenoid. I tried another solenoid and get the same thing as well as this pump was just rebuilt and checked out completely.
Right now I'm trying to go through all the grounds and clean them up. From what I see in the diagram, which I don't like, There is the ECM the ten pin connector at the pump, the 109 relay and a ground. I don't know how the 10 pin can come in between the ECM and relay but thats what it shows.