Wrong Engine Arrived, but what is it??

907@K

TDI
2005 Jetta Sportwagon
I have a 2005 Jetta tdi with a BEW 1.9L. I ordered a replacement engine and had it shipped to Alaska. On my invoice, it states that I bought and paid for a BEW. I am pretty sure that what I received is a 2003 ALH, but how do I know for sure? The timing belt is 038 109 119M. I'm looking for the serial number on the engine, the only thing I can make out is the number 872 922. There is something in front of it, however, it is very corroded, I would like to think it is ALH (the H could be a 4). Is there any other tell tale sign which indicates the engine type?:confused:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
ALH uses a injection pump. BEW is cam driven injectors. That's the easiest way I can think of to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krn4996

TDI
05 Jetta
ALH or BEW?

Is there an injection pump and fuel lines going to injectors? That's a tell tale sign of a ALH. BEW has everything injector related under the valve cover, it's a very clean top half of the engine. Pull the valve cover and see if you find injectors. BEW has a different location for the alternator as well.

907@K

TDI
2005 Jetta Sportwagon
Yep! So, now that we know that it is an ALH, is it possible to modify things and use it?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
To run the whole ALH requires the harness to run the IP. I did a little searching and read about changing some sensors over and reusing the BEW head. I'm not very experienced in the newer PD engines tho. Hopefully someone who knows more on a conversion can help.

Hopefully your head cam are ok tho on your old engine as it seems that would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ot worth the effort to retrofit. If you want an ALH buy a car with one.

Also, ALH ecu is EDC15
BEW is EDC16, so not an easy swap

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Am I missing the elephant in the room? If you ordered and paid for a BEW and received an ALH, shouldn't the seller be making it right?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ This.

Anything can be done with time and money - but you will find that the effort required to convert a BEW car back to an ALH is not worth the effort. If you want to use that (assuming it is an) ALH, bet to find an ALH car with the correct harnesses.

Would be better to get the seller to send you a BEW if that's what you requested.

To convert, at the very least, you would need the ECU, engine harness, cluster, interior modules, turbo (if your replacement engine did not come with it), alternator, accessory bracket, AC compressor...

907@K

TDI
2005 Jetta Sportwagon
Thanks everyone! The reason that it wasn't sent back is that I paid for shipping, the seller wanted me to pay the return shipping and the shipping of the correct engine.....uh, NO! It has not been a pleasant ordeal. I am new to the forum and found the thread of reputable tdi mechanics by state. I had a chat with Arctic Import Repairs and it looks hopeful that they can help us end the sad saga.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
BEW to ALH

Sure hope that all got sorted out. Along those lines....

I have an '03 jetta wagon alh automatic and am considering acquiring a manual 2005 with a bad PD.

Would I have everything necessary to repower the 2005 coupled to the manual tranny?

Thanks in advance!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta

I have an '03 jetta wagon alh automatic and am considering acquiring a manual 2005 with a bad PD.

Would I have everything necessary to repower the 2005 coupled to the manual tranny?

Thanks in advance!

No.
Easier to repair/replace the "bad" PD engine.
Again, anything is possible to accomplish, but sometimes harder/longer/more expensive than the traditional route. (And this is coming from someone doing a gasser to TDI conversion project)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
a couple things really. If you have any emission standards were you live, running an earlier MY engine in your car will give you a car you cannot legally license.

the expense and headache involved would make buying a new car pocket change. You would have to replace the ECU the fuel system and several wiring harnesses. and then it would not pass emissions for the car it is going into.

Make your seller make it right is the only solution.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf

Thanks in advance!

All the hardware will bolt up without a problem. Use new motor and transmission mount bolts.

You will probably need to replace the clutch/flywheel.

The AC and PS lines will need to come from the donor car, and you will need O rings and a new receiver/dryer for the AC. AC will have to evacuated and recharged.

The ECU and wiring harnesses from the donor will have to be used, but the cluster can be retained. This will cause the immobilizer to activate, so that needs to be addressed. You might be able to change the cluster and adapt your keys, but that will mean the odometer is not correct. You could swap all the lock cylinders and keys, leaving the odometer reading as the only problem.

The in tank lift pump is controlled by the PD ECU. The ALH ECU doesn't have any connection to operate the fuel pump relay. There is a signal for the shutoff solenoid, but it is the inverse of the PD fuel pump signal. The ALH supplies power to the solenoid, while the PD applies a ground. If you use a relay connected to the shutoff solenoid on the IP it can invert the signal and make it work with the PD fuel pump relay.

As far as emissions, the car is already registered as a diesel, and if it shows the readiness monitors as pass a local inspector will not care. Technically it is not right, but it would take an engineer on a hunt to find out.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you have any emission standards were you live
'No emmissions testing hereabouts. Sorry to hijack the thread... this is the best start I could find searching the forum... I will start my own build thread if I get there, which is looking unlikely.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
All the hardware will bolt up without a problem. Use new motor and transmission mount bolts.

You will probably need to replace the clutch/flywheel.

The AC and PS lines will need to come from the donor car, and you will need O rings and a new receiver/dryer for the AC. AC will have to evacuated and recharged.

The ECU and wiring harnesses from the donor will have to be used, but the cluster can be retained. This will cause the immobilizer to activate, so that needs to be addressed. You might be able to change the cluster and adapt your keys, but that will mean the odometer is not correct. You could swap all the lock cylinders and keys, leaving the odometer reading as the only problem.

The in tank lift pump is controlled by the PD ECU. The ALH ECU doesn't have any connection to operate the fuel pump relay. There is a signal for the shutoff solenoid, but it is the inverse of the PD fuel pump signal. The ALH supplies power to the solenoid, while the PD applies a ground. If you use a relay connected to the shutoff solenoid on the IP it can invert the signal and make it work with the PD fuel pump relay.

As far as emissions, the car is already registered as a diesel, and if it shows the readiness monitors as pass a local inspector will not care. Technically it is not right, but it would take an engineer on a hunt to find out.
Thank you Alchemist! I apreciate you sharing your understanding, which I guess comes from experience. Interesting to consider that such a frankendiesl might slip right on by an emissions tester (though there is no such need hereabouts). And to consider all the required disassembly and reassembly to make it happen.

It's just I like older stuff and just happened to take a chance on the 2003 and, well, kinda like it. My last gas engine swap-out was a vintage ford ranger, and since I have a hard enough time with opening up the key FOB to change my battery, I think I will let things decay naturally with my 2003 and let the 2005 go it's way.

Good to learn about the potential however, and I had wondered about the flywheel and also the transmission control module or whatever it's called. Also, I see elsewhere that lift pumps are being added to ALhs as a modification, to help get more fuel to the vane pump in the ve I assume.

Happy motoring.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Thank you Alchemist! I apreciate you sharing your understanding, which I guess comes from experience. Interesting to consider that such a frankendiesl might slip right on by an emissions tester (though there is no such need hereabouts).
Depends on the state, back when I was out west they got the ID #s off my engine block to make sure it matched.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I quit that project idea

Ha! was it bound to happen, eventually? Little pink VWs for you and me

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Depends on the state, back when I was out west they got the ID #s off my engine block to make sure it matched.
Somebody was bored out of their mind, or they wanted to screw with you and waste your time. That makes no sense at all, 99.999% of the people out there wouldn't have gone to the trouble of swapping an engine in their car at all. I've never heard of an emissions droid going to that level of stupid during an inspection.