Confused about timing belt interval

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I'm just over 114k and I'm starting to consider my timing belt job, which I'll probably do closer to 120k. I've always heard that the timing belt interval on the 2015 Golf was 120k, but I just spoke to a service advisor at the dealer to get a job estimate and she told me I need to consult my manual because the belts can range from 100k, 110k, or 120k. My manual says nothing other than to start checking the belt at 80k and every 20k after. I've also heard that VW themselves have rated these belts at 130k. So, now I'm confused. Does anybody have the actual confirmed interval for the 2015 belt?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Interested with this as well. Will be coming up or last 80k by the time this year ends. I assume it won’t be a cheap or easy job if I decide to do it myself or pay the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
130K or until it breaks which ever comes first ;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah. Normally, I would say changing early is wasted effort, but the '15's have a couple things going on- a. The factory water pumps are garbage, and b. most of these cars sat rotting away for at least a full year. So changing out the tb early may not be such a horrible idea if you don't feel like testing VW's scruples around honoring warranty work.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I'll ask everyone's next question - any clue what the VW dealership is charging for the 130k service - assuming its the TB and some other items at that mile mark....

And then the question that follows the lovely $$ response, anyone have a DIY write up for TB service..?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They will probably just want to replace the belt only unless you ask for all the stuff. You need the whole kit not just the belt. The general rule is replace everything the belt touches as it isn't usually the belt that has the issue. Something else goes and takes the belt with it. Like this kit for example:

https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit-crua-cvca-p-7237.html

I would guess the bill for the dealer would be between $2k and $3k if you have all of that changed out. Hopefully they do it right as well.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
So is 120k a good not too early/not too late interval?

As for cost, the advisor I spoke with told me that it’s $800+ for the belt and tensioner and an additional $200-300 for the water pump if they deem it needs to be changed.

Also, I ordered my car and drove it off the lot in 2015 with 8 miles on it, so it wasn’t sitting around. I just care that I follow the proper interval.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
They will probably just want to replace the belt only unless you ask for all the stuff. You need the whole kit not just the belt. The general rule is replace everything the belt touches as it isn't usually the belt that has the issue. Something else goes and takes the belt with it. Like this kit for example:

https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit-crua-cvca-p-7237.html

I would guess the bill for the dealer would be between $2k and $3k if you have all of that changed out. Hopefully they do it right as well.

At this price I’m borrowing my buddies lift at his shop for the weekend lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The water pump and any bearing roller that the belt touches to me are not optional. all will need to be replaced every TB interval.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well my price is just a guess as the dealer wanted about $1800 for my older cars. Runonbeer did them for $750 IIRC, kit and labor. I would presume the dealer would be more now for the newer cars.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That's a good price for the idparts kit. Throw in some coolant and done. I see no reason to do it earlier than 130k unless there are other noises/leaks going on in that area.
If I didn't do it myself and lived in your area, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to JasonTDI over in Madison for the work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Second the Jason's TD repair recommendation. You'll need TB tools and you'll probably not use them again. In my opinion it's better to have someone experienced at this do the change in case something comes up or fights you in the process. Consequences of a mistake are significant.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Isn't there an upgraded water pump that replaces the O.E.? Does IDPARTS sell this or is it already in the kit. Just curious as I have over 100K miles to go on both cars to reach the change interval.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Isn't there an upgraded water pump that replaces the O.E.? Does IDPARTS sell this or is it already in the kit. Just curious as I have over 100K miles to go on both cars to reach the change interval.
Yes, the pump they sell is the updated non-variable flow pump that replaces the original variable-flow design. A failure mode of the original pump is when the impeller shroud remains fixed in the "cold" position, causing low/no flow with resulting overheating. The updated pump eliminates the shroud system, but it may or may not be an upgrade in terms of longevity of the shaft seal, which is prone to weeping/leaking in the original.

Diesel2005Golf

TDI
2003 Golf
I'm just over 114k and I'm starting to consider my timing belt job, which I'll probably do closer to 120k. I've always heard that the timing belt interval on the 2015 Golf was 120k, but I just spoke to a service advisor at the dealer to get a job estimate and she told me I need to consult my manual because the belts can range from 100k, 110k, or 120k. My manual says nothing other than to start checking the belt at 80k and every 20k after. I've also heard that VW themselves have rated these belts at 130k. So, now I'm confused. Does anybody have the actual confirmed interval for the 2015 belt?
According to the factory service manual recommended intervals for timing belt replacement are:

(note this is for mk4 vehicles 1999-2005)
TDI: 60K miles or 96K km
1.8T: 105K miles or 168K km
2.0: 40K miles or 64K km
VR6: 105K miles or 168K km

Under normal use, the belt is guaranteed to last at least this long and should under most circumstances last longer. You can also easily inspect the belt. When replacing belt buy a kit, not just the belt as a kit will contain the other parts necessary, that should be replaced with a belt such as water pump, idler pulley, etc. A lot of effort goes into replacing the belt so you might as well replace these parts that have a similar life expectancy at the same time to save time and effort.

To inspect the belt remove the upper section of the belt guard. Inspect for cracks, separation of layers, fraying, tears, and traces of oil or grease. Replace if any of these are found. Measure the width of the belt with callipers and replace if narrower than 22mm/0.866in. I would also replace the belt, pulley, pump, etc. if much over 100k km from last change. Note the service manual gives the same inspection process and measurements for all engine types so I assume only the length is different with different engine types. I believe all of the listed engines are interference engines so the top of the piston will mash the valves if the belt lets go and your engine will become an expensive boat anchor.

Gates who offers kits offer two choices, one with a water pump with a rubber impeller and one with a water pump with a metal impeller, at a slight additional cost. Have no idea what the difference in durability is but spent the extra on the metal impeller when I bought mine.

(these parts are for a 2003 TDI although they have similar kits for other years)
https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/part/details?part-number=TCKWP321

https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/part/details?part-number=TCKWP321M

you can purchase these kits on amazon.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why post useless info for cars that are not the one asked about? The OP has a 2015. Very little is of use there except for maybe buy the kit and not just the belt itself, which has been mentioned at least twice IIRC. Not very helpful or relevant.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
According to the factory service manual recommended intervals for timing belt replacement are:

(note this is for mk4 vehicles 1999-2005)
TDI: 60K miles or 96K km
This is incorrect. All timing belt components for MKIV cars have had 100K mile change intervals for at least 10 years. 60K was the change interval when these cars were introduced 20 years ago. And even then, the automatic car interval was 40K miles.

And it's not at all relevant to the 2015 car the OP has. Timing belt service intervals were originally stated at 130K miles, but now some schedules say 120K miles. 120K is an entirely safe service life.

Diesel2005Golf

TDI
2003 Golf
This is incorrect. All timing belt components for MKIV cars have had 100K mile change intervals for at least 10 years. 60K was the change interval when these cars were introduced 20 years ago. And even then, the automatic car interval was 40K miles.
And it's not at all relevant to the 2015 car the OP has. Timing belt service intervals were originally stated at 130K miles, but now some schedules say 120K miles. 120K is an entirely safe service life.
You may wish to take the accuracy of the Mark IV replacement mileage numbers I provided up with Volkswagen. I got my numbers from the VW factory service manual.

I just replaced my timing belt and thus responded, not realizing it was in the Mark Mk VII section, I have a Mk4.

Same issues apply though. Buy the replacement parts kit with a water pump and other needed components, not just the belt. A few aftermarket companies like Gates make these.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How old is the manual? In the past VW had a practice of replacing a belt with the same belt, even if an improved, longer life one was available. Since the shorter life components are NLA, even dealers aren't doing that anymore.

In the case of MKIV cars it doesn't matter what a service manual says. There's better data (and components) available.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Thanks for the info. Jason in Madison actually did my Mk4 belt before I got rid of it. He’s the best. Might be impractical to make the trip now for my Mk7 though. If 130k is the expected life and 120k is a safe interval, I’ll go with that. I’ve got an oil change coming up this week so I’ll ask the dealer to inspect the belt. I just wish this information was more readily available from VW itself considering the catastrophic damage a popped belt will cause.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Inspection is meaningless. It's rarely the belt that fails, more often it's the water pump or bearings in the tensioner or one of the rollers. And regardless of what they see the dealer is going to tell you the belt needs to be replaced because you're approaching the change interval.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You'd hope so. Still, the number of typographic errors in virtually every VW publication is disappointing.