Strut Mount Longevity?

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
My search results revealed that everyone agrees the New "Blank Model" strut mount bushings are "WAAY BETTER" than the worn out stuff.

OF COURSE IT IS! (face-palm)
It's not always clear who is AutoXing and Who is Daily Driving. AutoCross tracks are quite smooth.
Hw80 through CA and NV however is full of potholes and half paved garbage. I've been on dirt roads that are smoother.

But almost no threads updated in the last year.

I'm curious about 2 things:
1. How are things wearing? How many 10s of 1000 of miles???

2. Has anyone driven the same car with different strut mount bushings and noticed a difference???

3. Extra Road Vibration? Harshness?

4. Is anyone on their 3rd set of bushings?

There are lot to choose from:

Stock: 60 Durometer
Heavy Duty: 80
Track Density: 85
Poly: 95
I quote ECS because they have the widest selection under 1 roof:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--TDI/Search/SiteSearch/Strut_Mount/

http://www.hillsideimports.com/ Unknown hardness or part number
http://www.vwmotorsport.com/ Unknown Hardness or part number

The price gap is huge!

Maybe some folks can report from GTG and test drive each others.

Thanks in Advance!

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Are you on stock shocks/springs? Other than getting back to a "stock feel" what are you looking for in your suspension?

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
To post what I'm looking for would just create another narrow minded thread.

I think i'd be great to create a user guide.

"Blank" strut mounts are good for Grandmas...

"Blank" strut mounts make the car corner on rails at the track but are rough on long road trips.

Ect..

Maybe folks could describe their application / driving style and how the car handles.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Both Mk4's I have had the stock mounts were dead at 60,000 miles with stock wheels.

Grandma - stock
Then obviously the harder you go the more vibration you will feel, the more you feel the little road imperfections but the less flex. I wouldn't say it effects harshness though. Poly will last much longer.
Race - ground control solid mounts with adjustable camber and caster. Drops the car 1/2" I believe. Def a bit harsher but not bad compared to the fact your going to be on some heavy duty springs if race is the application.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
When I replaced my shocks up front I went with the stock strut mounts, since at the time I wasn't aware there were upgraded strut mounts. Obviously the car felt tighter with new suspension along with new strut bushings and I also went with the Audi TT control arm bushings. I'm sure if I'd just replaced the strut mount bushing with new ones there wouldn't have been a big change in the handling of the car.

Like others have mentioned, if you're looking for a smooth ride then stock replacements are the way to go.

If you're looking to tighten things , but still daily drive your car then I'd recommend the Cupra R strut mounts. Cupra R Strut Mounts they have a durometer of 80 compared to the stock 50.

From there it goes to track density mounts at a durometer of 85. 034 Track Density Mounts

The next step up is going with some poly mounts that have a rating of 95. Poly Mounts

Then people start looking into camber/caster kits that will allow them to adjust the suspension geometry, since they either drive their car very aggressively or have them slammed on the ground and are trying to gain back some adjustability back into their car so it doesn't handle like a pos.
You're also going to get the harshest ride, but here are your options.
SPC Camber/Caster Plates
Ground Control
Integrated Engineering

That should outline the options pretty well for MKIV vehicles.