First oil change with 2005 Passat TDI

EYE2

I just returned from the dealer after having my oil changed for the first time(5000 mi service). I checked the dipstick to make sure they did not add too much oil and the oil is black. Is this normal? I am used to oil looking very light in color immediately after an oil change, but this is my first TDI and my vehicles in the past did not use synthetic oil. Also, my car now sounds louder than it did prior to the oil change.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Oil to become black right away after change is completely normal - don't worry.

About the louder engine - I didn't experience such issue after my first oil change. Make sure you got 505.01 oil (check the receipt you got from the dealer).

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
Re: First oil change with 2005 Passat TDI.

The new 505.1 oil is dark, also my dealer gave me a quart of oil showing me what they put in my car.

EYE2

Thanks for the replies. I am happy to hear that the black oil is normal. I was concerned that they may have used the wrong oil; they charged me $6.25 a quart so I certainly hope is was the 505.01

I forgot to mention that when they entered my VIN number, they advised me that they needed to check my fuel pump for a recall. The other question I forgot to ask is do I have to have my oil changed after another 5000 miles or can I wait until I hit 15,000 on the odometer? The dealer said I need to have it changed again when I reach 10,000. I thought the TDI engine only required oil changes at 10k intervals after the initial 5k.

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray

The new 505.1 oil is dark
Not last time I looked at the 3 5-liter bottles of Elf Excellium or the 1-liter bottle of Castrol TXT on my shelf. It's the same light, transparent gold as every other motor oil. It does turn black instantaneously in TDI engines, though. That's normal.

And, yes, EYE2, your dealer is correct, the OCIs are 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles, then every 10,000 after that- 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50...

EYE2

Is there a reason why the oil turns black immediately in a TDI engine?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

Any Diesel engine not just the TDI.
The Diesel engine produces soot as a By product of
Combustion and some of this works it'd way into the Oil
The special Oil you are required to use has an additive package to suspend soot.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, 2002 New Beetle TDI, Blue

What was the total charge for the 5k service? Did they hit you with any bogus charges, like environmental, or shop fees, or disposal fees? I've never been to a dealer, but my new TDI is getting close to the 5k service time.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Also, my car now sounds louder than it did prior to the oil change.
Check and see if they replaced the bottom cover(s) correctly...they could have left off one of the quarter turn screws which would cause vibration that could sound loud. Yet another reason to do it yourself...

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Other thing it could be is that diesels sound louder under lighter load. You have accomplished a fair amount of break-in in 5,000 miles, and your frictional load is probably a lot less at idle now. To a much lesser extent, the new oil is probably lubricating a small amount better than the old oil, which could also reduce load.

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed a significant increase in combustion noise at idle around 5,500 miles.

EYE2

What was the total charge for the 5k service? Did they hit you with any bogus charges, like environmental, or shop fees, or disposal fees? I've never been to a dealer, but my new TDI is getting close to the 5k service time.
The total including tax was $63. They did charge me for topping off two fluids. One was windshield washer fluid, which I had just recently filled, and unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the other fluid was because they used some item code.

As far as the increased engine noise, I checked the belly pan and everything is secure. I think it may be attributed to the fact that I filled up with cheap diesel at a HESS station on the way to the dealer; it was 30 cents cheaper than anywhere else. In additon to the engine being louder, my car has been harder to start the past couple days; I have had to cycle the glow plugs two times to get it to start. Usually, I just start it immediately without even waiting for the glow plug light to go out. I think the minimum cetane rating on the pump was only 40.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I noticed a significant increase in combustion noise at idle around 5,500 miles.
As I reported somewhere else, I noticed this between 2-3k. Some have said this is normal also with break in...

RavenTwoTDI

TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI

The total including tax was $63. They did charge me for topping off two fluids. One was windshield washer fluid, which I had just recently filled, and unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the other fluid was because they used some item code.
I just got mine done yesterday, cost 118 Euros or about $155
At least the receipt says VW 505.01. They topped off the windshield fluid and charged a 2 euro ecology fee. They were suprised it was a 2.0 litre US spec model.

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
I have 13,000 miles on mine. At 5,000 and 10,000 both times I requested to witness the oil being put in.
It's just I want to be sure I'm getting the 505.01 oil.
Does anyone else do this or am I just parinoid?

Boosthund

I just took delivery of my 2005 Passat GLS TDI. I had a 2000 Jetta TDI for which I used Delvac 1 (5-40). Have some left over. Is this no longer the application for the 2005 Passat PD? Some kid at the dealership indicated that they have a new very long life (15k-20k) oil. Is this what they're using?
Thanks for your input!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS

Welcome to our world...take off your coat and stay a while. Your question is already answered in this thread and others like it, so read up on this wealth of knowledge. Your owners manual also. Beware of what some kid behind the counter says.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI

In the time you wrote your response, you could have simply answered the question.
Sometimes the attitude here leaves a great deal to be desired.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS

The first clue was just 2 posts up...a little effort is all it takes, that's all I was saying. Sorry to rub you the wrong way...please don't encourage non-effort.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone

I just did my first oil change, it was the 10K on my 04 Wagon..and I feel good. I used my mityvac extractor. It took me about an hour, next change it will be half the time. The darn oil filter cap was on pretty tight and took me a little while to get it off, mainly because there's not a lot of room for a wrench. They must make an oil wrench that screws from the top, right? I just hand-tightened it as tight as I could get when I closed it back up, hope that's good enough, I didn't see any oil escaping on the runup. Now, I've got go figure out how I'm going to rotate the tires, one side at a time with floor jacks?
Good day!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS

Assume you had the oil changed at 5k by someone else?
Good job...but did you bleed taking off the cap? Seems like no job is complete for me until I give a little blood. Next time I will use the cap tool, 76mm x 14 flute oil wrench, no blood required.
Tire rotation like you said, one side at a time.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel

You should do it yourself. Most bases have an auto hobby shop to work on your car. You can also get a pella or rhino ramps.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V

Interesting, VW change intervals in different countries. In South Africa the PD TDI models get a 7500 km (4650 miles) oil change interval, which they will increase to 15000 km when clean diesel comes available in 2006. Yet VWOA publishes a 10000 mile change interval with the same dirty diesel fuel right now for the States.... go figure.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI

Quality in South Africa is not as reliable as here in the US. (I lived there for 4 years.) Their 'dirty-diesel' is dirtier than our 'dirty-diesel'.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant

I just came in from changing mine at 10,200 mi. The dealer did the 5k change. (free) I intended to do it like any other change I've done, from the bottom. Time is short though, and instead I bought a $5.00 suction pump change kit and did it from the top. It wasn't too bad a job, especially with the filter up top, and I might just invest in a Pella extractor. I will still get under, maybe every other change, just to see how everything's doing underneath.

Antler

TDI
Passat Station Wagon, 2005, Green

Any Diesel engine not just the TDI. The Diesel engine produces soot as a By product of Combustion and some of this works it'd way into the Oil
Not really, the "old" Mercedes and Volvos will turn the oil black before you get home. However, the oil in a Power Stroke diesel will usually stay clean for 35-4500 miles as long as I am not doing much towing and you keep your foot out of the accelerator. When doing a lot of towing (considered sever duty) I can turn the oil in my power stroke black in about 2500 miles. BTW, I change the oil in my truck when it turns black.

Regards, A-man

Antler

TDI
Passat Station Wagon, 2005, Green

cost 118 Euros or about $155
Yikes, I usually pay about $20 US for a passenger car with 5 quarts of oil. I just had the oil changed on my Power Stroke Diesel Ford (15 Quarts of DELO)and it only cost $63.

BTW, My local oil change place informed me that they won't service VWs anymore, diesels or gas. He said he was having to buy too many oil pans as the steel oil plugs were ruining the threads on the aluminium oil pan. Is this really a big problem or is he just too rough with the wrench?

Regards, A-man

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS

Any Diesel engine not just the TDI. The Diesel engine produces soot as a By product of Combustion and some of this works it'd way into the Oil
Not really, the "old" Mercedes and Volvos will turn the oil black before you get home. However, the oil in a Power Stroke diesel will usually stay clean for 35-4500 miles as long as I am not doing much towing and you keep your foot out of the accelerator. When doing a lot of towing (considered sever duty) I can turn the oil in my power stroke black in about 2500 miles. BTW, I change the oil in my truck when it turns black.

Regards, A-man
Yeah but...what many here may not appreciate is the fact the PSD requires nearly 4 gallons of oil, so dilution plays a big role too. I change mine between 4 and 5k depending on how much light towing I do (7000 lb).