Looking at alh need help!

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
URGENT! Driving to work this morning my car would not accelerate in 5th gear at all and any slight incline it would drasticlly drop speed. when i got to work i did a first gear 4k-4.2k shift to try and maybe blow anything clogged up out i did not hear or feel the turbo. i already drove the car to work and it was slower then normal when cars are flying up on you doing 90+ it gets scary. would i be safe to drive the car to my shop (50ish miles) or am i safer to get my dad to pick me up with a trailer? what could possibly be wrong with the car no check engine lights and cluster looked normal while driving. HELP!
if you're ok after a restart definitely limp mode, I saw your post on the FB group, I am sure it gave you 100000 ideas, but if you scan with a tool you probably have a over boost code. Start it and take it for a drive if its ok definitely limp mode. You can cycle the key while driving to get around this.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Didnt want to create multiple threads. I was able to get the car towed and out to my shop. I hooked up a vacuum pump to the turbo actuator and put about 20-23lbs of vacuum to it, it moved very very little maybe 1/8th in to 1/4 in and was very stiff i have read and been told its suppose to have lots of movement and and move freely specially by hand. Guess my big service got pushed ahead and plan on doing a big overhaul timing belt front end clean intake manifold egr delete clean turbo or if i have to replace turbo will look into the vnt17 on idparts. If i am able to clean and save the turbo can i just put a new actuator on the stock turbo? How are the vnt15 turbos on ebay for 350 or stay far away from those thanks for all the help in advance!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah you're in limp mode -- the turbo vanes may be stuck, and it's frequently possible to clean them out (see the various threads here.)

Don't even THINK ABOUT one of the eBAY turbos. When a turbo fails there is a non-zero risk of causing an oil-fed hydrolock which will do severe damage to the engine. While a turbo failure is never a good thing to invite one with that trash is just plain foolish.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Definetly rule out everything else before you purchase a turbo. Actuator failrure is real common, but it could be the vanes are cruddy.
Limp mode is our most popular ask. Unfortunately there are multiple solutions, but most involve engine controls.
Definitely sort out the issue with the actuator not moving, there are videos to show what it should do.
Try searching here for more ideas-Google Custom Search

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Okay i so far removed the egr bought a egr delete pipe from wolfburg with the egr cooler delete hose waiting for it to be shipped. I removed the intake and been busy with work and got hit with the nor eastern i am soaking and letting the intake soak in oven cleaner and using a pressure washer to clean it out. I wouldn't even want to spend 150-200 dollars on a Chinese turbo just seems to cheap. If i can not buy a turbo that would be great cause my truck just broke too 6.7 cumnins and the stealer is saying its either the ecu or injection pump so costly repair right there. I plan on removing the turbo and removing the cold and hot side housing and cleaning out any soot i can out of there. Is brake clean safe to use on the turbo? Also would it be a good idea to remove the intercooler and run a hose through it to clean out any oil that could be in the intercooler? Thanks for all the help in advance once again

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I cleaned my intercooler in a parts cleaning tank to get the oil out then rinsed it with water.
Let it dry good.

I may be cleaning my turbo in the near future.
I'm planning only to clean the exhaust side.