Dumb (maybe not so dumb) question. TDI110 Flash for TDI90

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Just out of curiosity.

anyone ever tried reading the flash from a Euro TDI110 AHF ECU and writing it to an american TDI90 ecu?????

I'm probably just saying something dumb, but there is a slight chance that i'm not.

any ideas?????????????????

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I would like to know too, since I put nozzles like the VE110 has in my VE90. Perhaps the AHF ECU will give an extra boost in power, to truly make it a VE110?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Look way way back my freinds. Jeff at Rocketchip tackled this a long while back. He offers a AHF/ASV conversion. Requires more than just the normal chip to be altered.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Hmm..I wonder if Aligator can do it? I shall ask.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
POOPIE,

What exactly do you mean?
I know that the chip has 512k of data, all of which is readable (I have a copy of the BIN file on my pc, but i'd be better off reading Chinese than those maps.

Jeff, Kerma care to Chip in <no pun intended.

BTW anyone knows if kerma is out of his office, cause he is taking unusually long to answer my e-mails, and I cannot wait to get my hands on my new files)

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
DPM, That could be a possibility (and I would expect VW/Bosch to change something vital).

It would be interesting though to have a look at the files side by side.
Just for curiosities sake.

Jeff, kerma, Alligator and all other chiptuners, I'm not trying to hijack you or steal your work or anything of the like, you all do brilliant work. I'm just curious to know the differences between the files and actual ECU Hardware.
To me this is an interesting talkingpoint

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
And I'm piggybacking on the thread, wanting a true VE110 :p

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Got to change the 24C04 EEprom chip in addition to the normal 512k flash.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Kerma,

What would it take to make my VE90 a VE110? Is that something 'gator can do?

Bob

Whitbread

TDI
Several
When Jeff put the euro software on my car, he severed the connection to a pin, and piggy backed a 5v regulator across the pins controlling glow plugs. I can't remember exactly but it was something about the euro software triggers the glow plugs on different pins than the US cars and the 5v regulator was to fool it so it doesn't throw a code. He didn't have to replace any eprom chips on the board though.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Hey Bob, where did you get the 110hp VE injectors?

I'm in the same boat. All I am asking out of my 90hp VE, when I get around to upgrading it, is 110hp Euro-level performance... NOT shredded rubber and burned clutches. Just basically what the thing was designed to do on its home turf before it met NA and the EPA.

I'm not looking to do any direct chip copies though. Charlie told me Aligator could deliver OEM-like 110hp tuning in one of their custom tunes, and I figure PP520 is fairly close to the stock 110hp VE injector. Haven't pulled the trigger on any of this yet, though. (Waiting on Q-Loader release.)

Eddy

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
EddyKilowatt said:
Hey Bob, where did you get the 110hp VE injectors?

I'm in the same boat. All I am asking out of my 90hp VE, when I get around to upgrading it, is 110hp Euro-level performance... NOT shredded rubber and burned clutches. Just basically what the thing was designed to do on its home turf before it met NA and the EPA.

I'm not looking to do any direct chip copies though. Charlie told me Aligator could deliver OEM-like 110hp tuning in one of their custom tunes, and I figure PP520 is fairly close to the stock 110hp VE injector. Haven't pulled the trigger on any of this yet, though. (Waiting on Q-Loader release.)

Eddy
You have options. You can get no kidding OEM Bosch VE110 injectors ($$$ and kinda hard to find)..or... IIRC Sprint 520s match the OEM VE110 nozzles. PP520s are a bit more powerful than stock VE110 nozzles.

If you got Sprint 520s or PP520s AND an upgraded tune from Jeff or 'Gator, you will be above VE110 performance and might be in need of a clutch. One or the other (nozzles OR a tune) will get you near VE110 performance, but not both. Unless of course you get a non-upgraded-same-as-VE110 tune.

I have yet to dyno my car, but nozzles alone MIGHT get VE110 performance w/o the need to change the ECU?

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Bob_Fout said:
If you got Sprint 520s or PP520s AND an upgraded tune from Jeff or 'Gator, you will be above VE110 performance and might be in need of a clutch. One or the other (nozzles OR a tune) will get you near VE110 performance, but not both. Unless of course you get a non-upgraded-same-as-VE110 tune.
Right, that's what I'm talkin' about. Same-as-VE110 tune... a little more advance than VE90, a little less persnicketey about EGR flow deviations, probably a few other minor differences. Not hugely cost effective I know, but worth thinking about IMHO.

Eddy

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
That glow plug thinggy started ringing my bell. That might be the reason I get constant "glow plug circuit malfunction" code with my US ALH ECU but when I switch back to my original AGR ecu it goes away. Can anyone give me a clue how to test if that realy is the problem?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
EddyKilowatt said:
Right, that's what I'm talkin' about. Same-as-VE110 tune... a little more advance than VE90, a little less persnicketey about EGR flow deviations, probably a few other minor differences. Not hugely cost effective I know, but worth thinking about IMHO.

Eddy
Me too. I want my VE90 to be a VE110. I've got the nozzles, now I wonder how the programming is different?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Bob_Fout said:
Kerma,

What would it take to make my VE90 a VE110? Is that something 'gator can do?

Bob
Not really any point to it that I can see. (maybe tuner profits) My auto trans car never did run as good with a "euro" tune as it does now with an ALH tune from Aligator.

you don't neccesarily need to desolder the eeprom to reprogram it. some OBD flash tools (like the modified millennium tool Jeff uses) can access it and reprogram through the OBD port.

http://www.arbitus72.com has some interesting freeware that you can use to disable the immobilizer on the 24C04 eeprom if you have the tools you need to read and write.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
KERMA said:
Not really any point to it that I can see. (maybe tuner profits) My auto trans car never did run as good with a "euro" tune as it does now with an ALH tune from Aligator.

you don't neccesarily need to desolder the eeprom to reprogram it. some OBD flash tools (like the modified millennium tool Jeff uses) can access it and reprogram through the OBD port.

http://www.arbitus72.com has some interesting freeware that you can use to disable the immobilizer on the 24C04 eeprom if you have the tools you need to read and write.
We agree Sprint 520s alone don't turn a VE90 into a VE110 (power-wise), correct?

If so, what would it take to make a VE90 churn out 110HP and 190 ft-lb of torque, or 200 ft-lb and 115 HP?

I'd like to make the most power while still keeping my stock clutch.